ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Relationships & Social Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Relationships & Social Issues This forum is for adults with AD/HD to discuss how AD/HD affects personal relationships.

Old 11-12-17, 09:36 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Thanked 1,222 Times in 518 Posts
WhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud of
Re: I'm so triggered by everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyVeyKitty View Post
Like Fortune and sarahsweets already pointed out, it doesn't matter whether he's socially awkward and clueless or not, the end result is the same; he is putting his own wants before her needs and personal feelings of security. This just got a lot more serious now.

You did absolutely nothing wrong, WO, and I'm sorry you're having to deal with this! You were being a decent human being and he took advantage of that. You did the right thing by blocking him immediately again and reporting him to the site. I'm so glad you didn't give him your number yet! Also, I hope you won't need this and I am certainly no lawyer but I have friends in Texas and happen to know that you have pretty decent cyber stalking laws. You might want to take a look at them. The ones you might be particularly interested in are:

If he keeps this up after you have stated that you don't want to talk to him his actions already fall under § 42.07 a (7). Note that both Class B and Class A misdemeanors carry potential jail sentences (up to 180 days for Class B and a year for Class A). In my very non-lawyery opinion jail time is unlikely to happen at first, but at least the potential for it might scare him off. Blocking him once was a pretty clear signal that you want no further contact with him if you ask me, blocking him again certainly has to be. Again, however, keep in mind that I'm not a lawyer in Finland let alone in Texas.

If he contacts you again you could just tell him that what he is doing is considered to be cyber harassment and you will get the law involved if he doesn't knock it off, then block and report again. It will hopefully dissuade him from harassing you (and maybe even someone else) again. If fear of bodily harm or fear of damage to property ever become involved, then he is committing a third degree felony and is actually likely to face prison time. A third degree felony is punishable by two to ten years’ imprisonment and a fine of up to $10,000. For specifics on stalking like this, look under subsection 42.072 (1). (Scroll down a bit from 42.07.)

It totally sucks that the onus has been put on you when really he should know better, but at least know the law has your back. Don't delete your messages between the two of you for now. Keep them for the record just in case.

I just want to reiterate this, WhiteOwl. You did nothing wrong and you don't deserve to get treated in this way or to be put into this position. He is being a jerk and if not directly acting outside of the law, then certainly skirting the borders of it. Most annoying guys on dating sites at least stop at being blocked, you just got unlucky that you ran into an extreme jerk right off the bat. Take a break from dating if you need to, but don't give up on it entirely because of this guy. He doesn't deserve to have that kind of power over your life and happiness!
Thank you so much! Yes, before I blocked him the first time, I told him we should stop talking. So he has no excuse, even if blocking him wasn't enough of a signal. And I don't know how to explain it, but while the message I got from his new profile didn't say anything inappropriate, it was really creepy in a way. Like he was acting like it wasn't him, but he would know that I knew it was him and was trying to just instill fear in me? I think he's very sick and twisted. And it's even more sick that he uses photos of him and his kids to do this. And maybe this is just my paranoia, but the fact that his last picture has both him and his daughter wearing sunglasses, when none of them were wearing them in any of his other pictures, makes me wonder if he took that picture with the purpose of using it on his new profile to stalk me?

Unfortunately, when you block someone, it erases all the messages. I wish I had thought to screenshot it or something, but I was just so impulsive and didn't even think of that. I assume if I really needed those transactions, the site still has them stored somewhere and would provide them for legal purposes? But if I get any more messages from him, I will definitely screenshot things and let him know about the laws. I did look it up online and see that some other women have had a problem with guys doing this. Yeah, join a dating site and spend your time stalking women, that's sure to land you a date!

Last edited by WhiteOwl; 11-12-17 at 09:48 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteOwl For This Useful Post:
OyVeyKitty (11-12-17)
Old 11-12-17, 09:40 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 20,889 Times in 11,125 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a big mess. Get off of there.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-12-17), OyVeyKitty (11-12-17)
Old 11-12-17, 09:54 AM
ADDvanced Member

OyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud of

Oh, that's even better then that you already told him that you want to stop talking! It's too bad the messages were removed when you blocked him. Most sites publish their data retention policies under their privacy policy page, so you can take a look there to check whether they have kept your chat logs. I have yet to run into a site that doesn't, so I'm sure they are stored somewhere!

What he is doing sounds really creepy and honestly completely confusing! Yikes! I really hope he got the message now that you blocked him a second time... If not, tell him that what he's doing is illegal, block again and then further contact the website by e-mail to let them know about his actions and harassment. Mention all of his used account names. It's quite possible that they will block his IP which could keep him from signing up with a new account as easily in the future, depending on how technologically literate he is.

Edit to comment on your edit: that is just super creepy that he is making his daughter wear sunglasses for a photo, probably with the intent to conceal both of their identities in an effort to contact you again. This is making my skin crawl all the way over here... This guy just keeps getting worse and worse!

Second edit: I agree with Little Missy. You could just get off the site for now. You are not responsible in any way for either making this man understand that what he is doing is very wrong or for bringing him to justice legally. If you don't feel comfortable continuing and dealing with this, you can just remove your account.

Last edited by OyVeyKitty; 11-12-17 at 10:03 AM.. Reason: Added comment on edit. Also a second edit.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OyVeyKitty For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-12-17), WhiteOwl (11-12-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-17, 04:24 PM
ADDvanced Member

OyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud of

I would generally agree that people who stalk are probably not the most empathetic or stable people and it can be difficult to find the precise word to describe such a person in the heat of the moment. I only recently learned how offensive the word "crazy" is to some people as well and it took me by surprise too, because it seems so commonplace that I had never given it a second thought. The reason I hadn't given it a second thought was of course because I have never maliciously been labeled "crazy" and have had the privilege of not encountering such stigma over my challenges with mental health.

I know I'm new here and I really don't intend to ruffle any feathers, but I also think it's important that we approach people who innocently use an offensive word with compassion and empathy. It's particularly easy to feel personally attacked when you had no ill intent and are currently going through a rough patch and venting. Of course, I also know teaching isn't the job of the underprivileged and patience can run thin when it feels your words are never heard by the masses.

I'm wondering whether it would be possible to have a sticky by a moderator or administrator on this subject somewhere on the forums? One which would explain why the word is offensive to some and what alternatives could be used, which could be linked to when this word inevitably comes up again elsewhere. I think I saw one already for the r-word somewhere, perhaps that one could be amended?

Finally, (sorry for keeping this thread going off-topic) I would like to leave these alternatives to the word, which I got from Queerie Bradshaw:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queerie Bradshaw
10 Go-To Words to Use Instead...
  1. Absurd
  2. Ridiculous
  3. Odd
  4. Silly
  5. Ludicrous
  6. Illogical
  7. Tedious
  8. Dull
  9. Grotesque
  10. Laughable
Not only do I feel like I’m not degrading someone’s experience or abilities by using these words, I also feel like I’m making better use of the complex English language, instead of just relying on easy slang.
I feel that just saying someone shouldn't use a word and not offering any alternative is going to make it more difficult to acclimatize to the change. Although in this case perhaps "deviant" or "miscreant" would be more fitting than anything on that list.

OK, so trying to get back on topic after this little digression. WhiteOwl, did you decide whether you're going to stay on that dating site after everything you had to deal with there?

Last edited by namazu; 11-12-17 at 06:39 PM.. Reason: Removed link to blog selling a book (see ADDF link guidelines).
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OyVeyKitty For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-12-17), namazu (11-12-17), WhiteOwl (11-12-17)
Old 11-12-17, 05:06 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

WhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud of

Quote:
I would generally agree that people who stalk are probably not the most empathetic or stable people and it can be difficult to find the precise word to describe such a person in the heat of the moment. I only recently learned how offensive the word "crazy" is to some people as well and it took me by surprise too, because it seems so commonplace that I had never given it a second thought. The reason I hadn't given it a second thought was of course because I have never maliciously been labeled "crazy" and have had the privilege of not encountering such stigma over my challenges with mental health.

I know I'm new here and I really don't intend to ruffle any feathers, but I also think it's important that we approach people who innocently use an offensive word with compassion and empathy. It's particularly easy to feel personally attacked when you had no ill intent and are currently going through a rough patch and venting. Of course, I also know teaching isn't the job of the underprivileged and patience can run thin when it feels your words are never heard by the masses.

I'm wondering whether it would be possible to have a sticky by a moderator or administrator on this subject somewhere on the forums? One which would explain why the word is offensive to some and what alternatives could be used, which could be linked to when this word inevitably comes up again elsewhere. I think I saw one already for the r-word somewhere, perhaps that one could be amended?

Finally, (sorry for keeping this thread going off-topic) I would like to leave these alternatives to the word. I feel that just saying someone shouldn't use a word and not offering any alternative is going to make it more difficult to acclimatize to the change. Although in this case perhaps "deviant" or "miscreant" would be more fitting than anything on that list.

OK, so trying to get back on topic after this little digression. WhiteOwl, did you decide whether you're going to stay on that dating site after everything you had to deal with there?
Thank you! Yes, I tend to use that word very loosely, as a catch all for just about anything. One minute I'll use it to describe myself and my anxiety, and the next minute I'll use it for someone acting irrational or whatever. I think people in general use the term very often, like you said, so it's not a big deal to me. Now I know others see it a different way.

I'm considering deleting my account. I don't know what to do. I've exchanged a few messages with someone, but it's just so confusing. He's definitely better to talk to than that miscreant, but his messages are just so short! I hear guys are not very talkative in general, but....Do no guys out there like to talk? I take that as a lack of interest, but he has responded to my messages so.......I just don't have time to play around, so I don't know what I'll do. I think this one's going nowhere, too.

Last edited by namazu; 11-12-17 at 06:41 PM.. Reason: removed link from quoted material
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteOwl For This Useful Post:
OyVeyKitty (11-12-17), stef (11-12-17)
Old 11-12-17, 05:15 PM

Thanked 14,264 Times in 6,378 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOwl View Post
He's definitely better to talk to than that miscreant, but his messages are just so short! I hear guys are not very talkative in general, but....Do no guys out there like to talk?
Sure, some do. But for sure, in those times when I messaged someone, and gave them a page to read, and it was clear that I read and really paid attention to their profile, it wasn't always appreciated. Then again, sometimes it was and I received the honor of being called a unicorn.

Cheers,
Ian

Last edited by aeon; 11-12-17 at 05:27 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
OyVeyKitty (11-12-17), WhiteOwl (11-12-17)
Old 11-12-17, 05:19 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeon View Post
Sure, some do. But for sure, in those times when I messaged someone, and gave them a page to read, and it was clear that I read and really paid attwntion to their profile, it wasn't always appreciated. Then again, sometimes it was and I received the honor of being called a unicorn.

Cheers,
Ian
Do you think guys just assume women want to do all the talking and they should just answer with "yup" or "nope"? Not that he's doing that, but....

I even said in my profile, don't message me unless you want to actually talk! I don't know a plainer way to spell it out for people.
aeon (11-12-17), Little Missy (11-12-17)
Old 11-12-17, 05:32 PM

aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOwl View Post
Do you think guys just assume women want to do all the talking and they should just answer with "yup" or "nope"? Not that he's doing that, but....

I even said in my profile, don't message me unless you want to actually talk! I don't know a plainer way to spell it out for people.
I have no idea, and I only really know myself. And for what it is worth, all the online tests say I have a female brain.

But one thing I am sure of...if you've been clear about things, it's a really good way to separate the wheat from the chaff, and find someone who is truly suited to your temperament and style of engagement.

So don't sell yourself short!

Cheers,
Ian
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (11-12-17), OyVeyKitty (11-12-17), WhiteOwl (11-12-17)
Old 11-12-17, 05:34 PM
ADDvanced Member

I have run into the same problem with guys. It's difficult to find emotionally mature men who are also interesting to talk to. :/ And Ian, you certainly are a unicorn. You're always so kind and thoughtful and then you're articulate on top of that. I can't imagine you had to stay on a dating site for very long.

Edit because of Ian's new post: Apparently I need to make men who want to date me take a male/female brain test.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OyVeyKitty For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-12-17), Little Missy (11-12-17), WhiteOwl (11-12-17)
Old 11-12-17, 06:02 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Quote:
I have run into the same problem with guys. It's difficult to find emotionally mature men who are also interesting to talk to. :/ And Ian, you certainly are a unicorn. You're always so kind and thoughtful and then you're articulate on top of that. I can't imagine you had to stay on a dating site for very long.

Edit because of Ian's new post: Apparently I need to make men who want to date me take a male/female brain test.
Me, too! Where is this online test, Ian! I will post the link in my profile and tell people to send me a screenshot of their results!

And yes, I think Ian's sweetie is very lucky to have him and from the little I've heard of her, he's very lucky to have her.
aeon (11-12-17), OyVeyKitty (11-12-17)
Old 11-12-17, 06:17 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

I just got the explanation, "Sorry I'm short. I'm on my phone with horrible reception". Well it's a small miracle, I got an explanation. Don't worry, I'm not going to sell myself short or get my hopes up or anything. I think my mindset has changed a little now and I can step back and see that it's ok, if it leads nowhere, it wasn't meant to be. If a couple days go by and things just don't feel right, I'll call it quits on that person.
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteOwl For This Useful Post:
OyVeyKitty (11-13-17)
Old 11-12-17, 06:18 PM

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176581
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
OyVeyKitty (11-13-17), WhiteOwl (11-12-17)
Old 11-13-17, 11:09 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

So, the saga continues. I just had to share this! So the flaky guy I had started to talk to lost interest or whatever and stopped talking to me. But I had received a message from a guy and was on the fence about replying. He was the *first* person to message me and mention my profile! He said he "truly enjoyed reading it"! The only reason I was hesitant to message him back is because he's about 6 yrs older than me and I've always been a little weird about age gaps (even though this isn't a very big one). I was always attracted to people my age or a little younger, but I thought, maybe that's my problem!

Anyways, he was in the Army infantry and just retired. He seems really nice and I have actually *enjoyed*, not just tolerated, talking with him! We have similar interests and seem to want the same thing. He actually seems interested in getting to know me! Finally, a guy that likes to talk! He also has two kids a they are the same age as my older kids. We have already confided a lot in each other. He's been through some tough emotional stuff, too (been married twice and cheated on both times). We seem to understand each other already. Oh, and he likes sci-fi!

I feel like I'm writing some kind of novel, but I don't know what type. Mystery, horror, heartbreak.....romance?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WhiteOwl For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-14-17), Little Missy (11-14-17), Lunacie (11-14-17)
Old 11-14-17, 12:29 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

I told him I enjoyed talking with him and I was probably oversharing and he said he felt the same way and I can never overshare! Are you kidding me? Someone stop me from swooning before I get too carried away!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WhiteOwl For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (11-14-17), midnightstar (11-14-17), OyVeyKitty (11-14-17)
Old 11-14-17, 09:55 AM

Thanked 32,786 Times in 14,810 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

moderator note

the side conversation on using the word "crazy" and it being offensive has been taken off this thread and placed here: http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188943

cheers,
-peri
The Following User Says Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
midnightstar (11-14-17)