ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 11-17-17, 10:42 AM

dagnogo is on a distinguished road
Diagnosed with concentration and attention problems

Hi! I just want to share my experience today. I hope some of you have some thoughts on this thing.

Background:

My grades went from B in highschool, C in bachelors and D in master (in programming). I got a lot of pressure from my parrents to perform in school. I had similar help (meetings every 1-2 weeks) from my supervisor while doing my master, where I got a lot of help structuring tasks and working towards the thesis. This I think, is the only reason I was able to finnish. I have always needed to feel pressured or like someone expects something from me in order to perform.

I spent 3,5 years to finnish my master instead of the standard 2 years. This is simply because i didnt finnish it within the first 2 years (had to do exams over again and not fast enough progress on my thesis). Through these years i have also been in therapy for depression which made me feel better about myself, but never actually helped me in university or social life.

Today:

Over the last few months i have been in diagnosis for ADD. Today i was diagnosed with concentration problems without having ADD. Instead she believe i have a personality disorder which affects my concentration with similar symptoms to ADD. I was explained I was slightly below a treshold on the tests to get the ADD diagnosis. I got offered to work on this concentration problem with a psychologist.

Before the tests I read about ADD and I was very confident that this was my problem. Now I dont know what to do. I think it is unlikely I can work as a programmer. I have had 2 part time jobs in programming where I did a lot of the work at home. I dont think i can perform good enough for a permanent job.

Thank you for reading!
Old 11-18-17, 06:41 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,304 Times in 13,283 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Diagnosed with concentration and attention problems

Find another doctor. There are no tests for adhd. There are tests for other learning disorders but not for adhd. Adhd is diagnosed with sometimes surveys like the Conner's scale, sometimes school information but mostly a thorough history and evaluation of your symptoms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagnogo View Post
Hi! I just want to share my experience today. I hope some of you have some thoughts on this thing.

Background:

My grades went from B in highschool, C in bachelors and D in master (in programming). I got a lot of pressure from my parrents to perform in school. I had similar help (meetings every 1-2 weeks) from my supervisor while doing my master, where I got a lot of help structuring tasks and working towards the thesis. This I think, is the only reason I was able to finnish. I have always needed to feel pressured or like someone expects something from me in order to perform.

I spent 3,5 years to finnish my master instead of the standard 2 years. This is simply because i didnt finnish it within the first 2 years (had to do exams over again and not fast enough progress on my thesis). Through these years i have also been in therapy for depression which made me feel better about myself, but never actually helped me in university or social life.

Today:

Over the last few months i have been in diagnosis for ADD. Today i was diagnosed with concentration problems without having ADD. Instead she believe i have a personality disorder which affects my concentration with similar symptoms to ADD. I was explained I was slightly below a treshold on the tests to get the ADD diagnosis. I got offered to work on this concentration problem with a psychologist.

Before the tests I read about ADD and I was very confident that this was my problem. Now I dont know what to do. I think it is unlikely I can work as a programmer. I have had 2 part time jobs in programming where I did a lot of the work at home. I dont think i can perform good enough for a permanent job.

Thank you for reading!

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Old 11-18-17, 04:53 PM

dagnogo is on a distinguished road
Re: Diagnosed with concentration and attention problems

I think i will do that at one point. Thank you
Sponsored Links