ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 11-17-17, 08:05 PM

AngieRose is on a distinguished road
ADD or lack of organization methods?

Hi There. So, what to do when i can identify symptoms in me but my phsycologist says that I'm only a perfeccionst with tendency to procrastinate, and what i need is organization methods?
She made a test with three exercises and said that i was on average results, with no problems at all.
I always felt that i had ADD, but now, i dont know what to think. How to diferenciate ADD to lack of organization?
Thanks for the help.
Old 11-17-17, 08:11 PM

Thanked 33,870 Times in 15,319 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ADD or lack of organization methods?

greetings and welcome!

adhd does tend to result in a lack of organization, but there must be other symptoms present; it matters WHY you lack organization.

do you have a therapist? is it possible to work with someone who can help you map out/plan your projects and see IF you can execute the plans and IF NOT, *why* not?

it's the *why* you're disorganized that differentiates between simply being disorganized and having organization problems as a result of having adhd.

i hope that makes sense
The Following User Says Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
AngieRose (11-18-17)
Old 11-18-17, 08:04 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,982 Times in 14,787 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

ADHD causes impairments in multiple areas, not just areas of disorganization.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
AngieRose (11-18-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-17, 07:27 PM

AngieRose is on a distinguished road

Hi
Thank you for the response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
greetings and welcome!
it's the *why* you're disorganized that differentiates between simply being disorganized and having organization problems as a result of having adhd.
So, i don't know how to explain the "why", 'cause i just simply start doing stuff that i want in the moment and what i need it's not done.
example1: my psychologist asked me to take notes of what i do in my normal day, for a week... and i show up with monday and half tuesday... 'cause, even if i knew she asked me that, i didnt do it... and well, when i remembered to do it again, it was too late to track what i did.
example 2: a friend asked me to get group menus prices of 2 restaurants... i had a week to do it... i still haven't done it, but dont ask me why. i tell myself "oh yeah, that thing!! i will call the restaurants right after "smthg".." ... and well,... hope i remember that tomorrow lol it's my last day to call them.

those are only two examples of many.

So, unfortunately, i don't know the answer for the "why".

is it laziness? i don't know...

Thank you for your help anyway
i really accepted me as i am, but is a big question mark in my life, 'cause it seems that is something that grabs me when i want to rise up.

kisses
The Following User Says Thank You to AngieRose For This Useful Post:
peripatetic (11-18-17)
Old 11-19-17, 09:38 PM

Thanked 33,870 Times in 15,319 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

i don't think it's laziness. i do both of those things...i have trouble tracking and i am always going to do something after i finish this one thing...and then get sidetracked.

timers are your friend for reminding to do tracking. but you have to heed the timers. a whole problem in itself.

i've done occupational therapy and that has helped with some of these issues. and being medicated.
The Following User Says Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
AngieRose (11-27-17)