ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-17, 12:26 AM

Survivalmode will become famous soon enough
Hello!

Hi everyone!

I am a young adult female who was diagnosed with ADD (I think combined type would be the most accurate label but am not sure whether ADD or ADHD was the official diagnosis) at age 11 and started on adderall. Parents and teachers noticed a huge difference, much improved symptoms, tolerable side effects (learned to eat when not hungry, ticks occurred at one point so a medication vacation was taken and that solved that). Adderall is definitely a huge game changer for me, and I would not be where I am today without it.

However, I noticed my health declining by age 13 and can't seem to figure out what the problem is anymore but I know I was a very active kid and am now a fairly sedentary and uncomfortable adult. I am not sure what is adderall side effects, what is poor diet, what might be a combination of both, or whether there is something else going on health wise. I tell myself if I legitimately have had less than ideal health (excessive fatigue, anxiety, poor motivation, aches and pains or burning sensation, muscle tension, tingling, migraines, etc) for over a decade the various tests I have had over the years should have found something by now, so I am leaning towards my meds or poor diet (complicated by allergies and a lack of cooking skills/desire to eat food not prepared via microwave).

I am hoping to find answers to questions such as what supplements people have found beneficial and/or what medications work well for people without causing significant side effects.

Sorry for such a long introduction post!

Last edited by namazu; 11-18-17 at 12:27 AM.. Reason: Added a few line breaks for easier reading. Welcome!
The Following User Says Thank You to Survivalmode For This Useful Post:
wonderboy (11-18-17)
Old 11-18-17, 01:39 AM
Contributor

wonderboy has a spectacular aura aboutwonderboy has a spectacular aura about
Re: Hello!

First, I would like to welcome you to the forums. You will find everyone here to be highly professional, very friendly, open-minded people, and will sincerely attempt to render appropriate advice that you can hopefully implement proactively.

I would actually start at the General Practitioner level, instead of a psychiatrist, to be completely evaluated, including blood tests such as: WBC W Differentials, Thyroid Blood Work (including TSH, ft3 and f24) Liver, kidney, vitamin, and electrolyte blood work as well.

Please, do not take this as medical advise in any way or capacity--

You would be surprised at the number of patients with subclinical thyroid problems, they were not aware of, that was at the 'very root" of their psychological symptoms

Also, most docs only check for Thyroid TSH, and fail to check what is called "T3 and T4" (the actual amounts of thyroid in your blood.

If, however, you have had a -recent- complete physical, I might recommend finding both a psychologist (or counselor) and a psychiatrist (if this is something practical for you.

This response is long-winded, and I apologize, but sincerely want to help.

Just posting, here today, as you have done, -is- a form of therapeutic action in itself.

ADHD should be treated from a bio-psycho-social perspective.

This means evaluating what factors might me causing symptoms: Environmental, stress, for actors perhaps beyond your control.

Is treating ADHD easy.? Unfortunately, It isn't a piece of cake.

My recommendation would be to exclude variables (you mentioned "excessive fatigue""aches and pains" -- that is why I suggested you might want to start with a
very comprehensive examination with a GP before proceeding, as it seems that though you are concerned about the ADHD, you mentioned "health" issues.

Most posters simply list their ADHD problems, and that is why my recommendation for you (again, not to be taken as medical advice) is to start at the GP level, and really complete an "audit" (a diary) of all the BIO-PSYCHO-SOCIAL aspects in your life that could possibly be influencing you.

Thank you for having the courage and resolve to post, as you will find everyone here very level-headed, friendly, professional, and ready to give suggestions, so that you might be in a position to help yourself

Again, a very warm welcome!