ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Aspergers/Autism Spectrum/PDD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-17, 08:50 AM

hutchie0109 is on a distinguished road
Horse riding,

Got the chance to learn this properly, including looking after them, I've ridden before and that's what puts me off, should I try again?
Old 09-17-17, 08:52 AM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 22,059 Times in 13,037 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Horse riding,

Yes if it's something you want to do If you don't want to try again then no, depends whether you want to ride/look after horses or whether you'd rather not have anything to do with horses
Ebony (1st January 2014 - 2nd March 2018)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm

The Following User Says Thank You to midnightstar For This Useful Post:
hutchie0109 (09-17-17)
Old 09-17-17, 10:48 PM

Thanked 33,517 Times in 15,148 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

i'm not on the autism spectrum, but i grew up with horses. i'm unclear on your question. did riding put you off or caring for them put you off riding?

you can always give it another go. what specifically wasn't to your liking? maybe that would help give better input.
The Following User Says Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
hutchie0109 (09-17-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-17, 11:47 PM

hutchie0109 is on a distinguished road

It's a five day course, I like horses, there're like big dogs to me, but sat up there with the balance issue and then they move, the last time wich was some years ago i just wanted to get off.
The Following User Says Thank You to hutchie0109 For This Useful Post:
TheGreatKing (09-18-17)
Old 02-26-18, 07:44 PM

aralee is on a distinguished road

I’d give riding another try. Start with a horse that is calm and is steady with even the newest and/or anxious rider. Horses are so aware of how we feel is almost unbelievable. Some horses react to anxiety by becoming anxious themselves. Other horses respond to anxiety in a way that is calming. These horses will take it slow even if your body language is telling them that you are afraid, hesitant, etc. If you do want to try riding make sure that it is with a horse that anyone in the barn would recommend a new rider start with. Make sure you ask several people. Usually it will be one the horses that are most frequently used in riding lessons that is calm no matter what a rider does.

Also, it is really important that whoever you start learning from is someone that enjoys horses themselves. Some instructors are more performance oriented and are teaching riders how to ride for competitive events/horse shows. Many riding instructions are people who want to teach you what YOU want to learn. Some people take lessons so they can learn to compete in riding shows others want to ride horses purely to enjoy their company and experience horses and life in general from a different perspective. Most instructors genuinely love horses whether they compete in horse shows or not and will love teaching someone that wants to ride purely for enjoyment.

I do think that it is really important that you learn the basics if you would like to try riding. Essentially how to sit comfortably and how to tell the horse when you want them to walk, where you want to go and when you want them to stop. A really easygoing empathic horse will be okay with someone who is wobbly in the saddle, holding the reigns too tight and so forth. But, I think that both you and the horse will both enjoy the ride more if you have a few lessons. If you feel like you can sit comfortably and tell the horse what you want them to do (walk, stop, turn) you will be more likely to find riding an amazing experience.

If you try riding a few times a few times and you don’t enjoy it then there’s no reason to to ride. Taking care of horses and spending time with them is in and of itself wonderful. I hadn’t ever thought about the dog/horse comparison before reading your post but I think that is a great comparison. Horses can be wonderful, loyal companions and are in many ways essentially giant dogs. That made me think of Clifford the big red dog. ��