ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 01-03-18, 04:49 PM

Beagle11 is on a distinguished road
Medications that don't make kids more explosive?

PLEASE HELP!!!!

I have a 6 year old son and we are currently working through the Methlphenidate classed medications. Without medication my son lacks impulse control and is very hyper. He is generally a moody child. He is quick to get angry, he takes things very personally and is very sensitive.

My question is what class of medications have you found that help with focus and hyperactivity but do not amplify emotions?

We have tried the following:

Ritalin LA (Caused him to blink constantly and scratch at himself)
Vyvanse (Caused anxiety and extreme paranoia)
Concerta (Could not swallow)
Metadate CD (Improves focus but amplify's emotions)
Focalin XR. (Improves focus but amplify's emotions)

My son can't swallow pills so he is limited to medications that come in a capsule that can be sprinkled onto applesauce, that he can chew.

He just started Focalin XR last week and it works great for focus but when he get's mad he gets extremely mad and because the medication helps with focus I can't redirect him or distract him from his anger to help him calm down like I can when he is not medicated.

There has to be a class of medications for children with ADHD that are prone to anger already that does not make them more explosive. If anyone can point me in the right direction so that I can discuss with my son's doctor I would really appreciate it.
Old 01-04-18, 05:47 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,458 Times in 14,483 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Medications that don't make kids more explosive?

I noticed that all but 1 med is part of the methylphenidate class of drugs. I know for me, those drugs made me very moody and exacerbated my bipolar. I take amphetamines. Vyvanse is an amphetamine but It also made me very moody I believe because of its mechanism of action, or maybe it was how long it took to work and how long it lasted. I take adderall and dexedrinine ir. Because your son cant do pills there is adderall xr and dex spanules-both are capsules with beads in them. If I were playing doctor I would be recommending dex spansules because there is only ampehtamine in it, and no fancy time release. Just the usual amount where some gets released right away and some gets released later.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 01-04-18, 08:47 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Caco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I noticed that all but 1 med is part of the methylphenidate class of drugs. I know for me, those drugs made me very moody and exacerbated my bipolar. I take amphetamines. Vyvanse is an amphetamine but It also made me very moody I believe because of its mechanism of action, or maybe it was how long it took to work and how long it lasted. I take adderall and dexedrinine ir. Because your son cant do pills there is adderall xr and dex spanules-both are capsules with beads in them. If I were playing doctor I would be recommending dex spansules because there is only ampehtamine in it, and no fancy time release. Just the usual amount where some gets released right away and some gets released later.
Sarah has WAY more experience with this than I do, but my kids Dr. HATES the immediate release stuff, she said it's too addictive and will only prescribe the long acting stuff.

Reading through the meds you have taken it appears Ritalin LA worked, but had side effects. Did your dr offer you a medicine for the side effects? My kids take Clonodine to help the meds work. There are meds to assist with the side effects. There are also lower doses that may be better for him.

My son did well on concerta, but maxed out so he now takes Adderal XR. My daughter does well with the Ritalin LA.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-18, 07:05 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,458 Times in 14,483 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I meant to say I take adderall xr and dex ir.

I carried a watermelon?