ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 12-19-17, 03:42 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Caco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud of
"The tests for ADHD were negative"...HUH?

So my friend has a 15 year old son who was diagnosed dyslexic in 1st grade, YEAH THEM, glad his parents saw it!

He was just telling me how it's driving him nuts to have to stalk the teachers websites to see when things are due because his son doesn't know. He doesn't hand in assignments, even when they are done, he doesn't know when tests are, he stares at the clouds when the coaches are talking about a new drill, the teachers complain they can't get him to focus.

So I say "Have you ever considered he has ADHD? I am dyslexic and I don't have any of those things going on, often two conditions like that exist together."

He said "we had him tested twice for ADHD and both times they said nope didn't have it."

Now I'm all like TESTED??? I thought ADHD was an observed thing not a test thing. Thoughts?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Caco3girl For This Useful Post:
aeon (12-19-17), Greyhound1 (12-19-17), Little Missy (12-20-17), mctavish23 (12-20-17), namazu (12-19-17)
Old 12-19-17, 04:12 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 20,003 Times in 10,011 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: "The tests for ADHD were negative"...HUH?

I wonder what they mean by "tested".

Sometimes people use that word to mean just that there were computerized continuous performance tests (CPT) or psychoeducational testing done (which can be useful in some situations, but no single test alone can rule in or out ADHD). Sometimes they use that word to mean "evaluated" more generally (which might entail more observation, interviews, histories, rating scales, etc.) -- the standard-of-care one would hope for from a qualified professional.

It's also worth noting that conditions like central auditory processing disorders (CAPD), which commonly co-occur with dyslexia, can sometimes produce symptoms that look like inattention. If a kid is struggling to process what they hear -- to distinguish certain sounds from others, to isolate what the coach is saying against a lot of background noise, to process the sounds quickly enough, to remember what he heard, etc. -- that can produce problems following oral instructions, recalling what was said, generally looking "lost", etc. The ways around it might be somewhat different than for ADHD (meds don't help with this specifically), though sometimes similar (write things down, double-check comprehension, make sure the kid is looking at you when you talk, etc.).

I wouldn't armchair-diagnose a kid with CAPD anymore than I'd diagnose them with ADHD. I just give that as an example of something that might cause some similar-looking symptoms in a kid who's been carefully evaluated for ADHD and found not to have it. (It wouldn't necessarily explain everything...)

Of course, it could also be that the "ADHD testing" was some not-very-thorough assessment that could have missed a real problem with ADHD, as you seem to suspect.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
aeon (12-19-17), Caco3girl (12-20-17), Greyhound1 (12-19-17), Little Missy (12-20-17), mctavish23 (12-19-17), stef (12-19-17)
Old 12-19-17, 09:04 PM

Thanked 10,172 Times in 3,197 Posts
mctavish23 has disabled reputation

There are NO (standardized) TESTS deemed appropriate (by anyone), for the sole

purpose of diagnosing ADHD.

Good Luck

mctavish23

(Robert)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mctavish23 For This Useful Post:
aeon (12-19-17), Greyhound1 (12-19-17), Little Missy (12-19-17), stef (12-20-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-17, 09:01 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Caco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by namazu View Post
I wonder what they mean by "tested".

Sometimes people use that word to mean just that there were computerized continuous performance tests (CPT) or psychoeducational testing done (which can be useful in some situations, but no single test alone can rule in or out ADHD). Sometimes they use that word to mean "evaluated" more generally (which might entail more observation, interviews, histories, rating scales, etc.) -- the standard-of-care one would hope for from a qualified professional.

It's also worth noting that conditions like central auditory processing disorders (CAPD), which commonly co-occur with dyslexia, can sometimes produce symptoms that look like inattention. If a kid is struggling to process what they hear -- to distinguish certain sounds from others, to isolate what the coach is saying against a lot of background noise, to process the sounds quickly enough, to remember what he heard, etc. -- that can produce problems following oral instructions, recalling what was said, generally looking "lost", etc. The ways around it might be somewhat different than for ADHD (meds don't help with this specifically), though sometimes similar (write things down, double-check comprehension, make sure the kid is looking at you when you talk, etc.).

I wouldn't armchair-diagnose a kid with CAPD anymore than I'd diagnose them with ADHD. I just give that as an example of something that might cause some similar-looking symptoms in a kid who's been carefully evaluated for ADHD and found not to have it. (It wouldn't necessarily explain everything...)

Of course, it could also be that the "ADHD testing" was some not-very-thorough assessment that could have missed a real problem with ADHD, as you seem to suspect.
Ill pass on the infor about CAPD, thanks!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Caco3girl For This Useful Post:
mctavish23 (12-20-17), namazu (12-20-17), stef (12-20-17)
Old 12-20-17, 04:04 PM

Thanked 10,172 Times in 3,197 Posts
mctavish23 has disabled reputation

For what's it's worth (anecdotally), in 30 years of outpatient clinical practice,

specializing in ADHD, I rarely, if ever, came across a child/adolescent with

"true" dyslexia; as that condition appeared to be very rare. However, that

has no bearing on anything else, so it's wise to cover all your bases. I'm also

NOT trying to diagnose anyone on here (or anywhere else, now that I'm

retired). In the past 14+ years, I've found the Forum members to be some of

the most sophisticated consumers I've ever encountered with respect to

ADHD.

The best advice I can give anyone is to READ as much as possible on ADHD,

from Reputable sources, and then see if that information seems to make

common sense, in terms of dealing with "real life/real world" problems.

Good luck.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mctavish23 For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (12-20-17), stef (12-20-17)
Old 12-21-17, 03:56 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,460 Times in 14,483 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Tests were negative? Just like that? Sounds like something you hear when you are waiting to find out if you are pregnant.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 12-21-17, 10:00 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mctavish23 View Post
For what's it's worth (anecdotally), in 30 years of outpatient clinical practice,

specializing in ADHD, I rarely, if ever, came across a child/adolescent with

"true" dyslexia; as that condition appeared to be very rare. However, that

has no bearing on anything else, so it's wise to cover all your bases. I'm also

NOT trying to diagnose anyone on here (or anywhere else, now that I'm

retired). In the past 14+ years, I've found the Forum members to be some of

the most sophisticated consumers I've ever encountered with respect to

ADHD.

The best advice I can give anyone is to READ as much as possible on ADHD,

from Reputable sources, and then see if that information seems to make

common sense, in terms of dealing with "real life/real world" problems.

Good luck.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)
Mctavish23 I'd be interested in starting a private message conversation with you on "true" dyslexia if you are agreeable. I wasn't diagnosed with dyslexia until college and I always wondered how the school and my parents missed it. PM me if you are up for it.