ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 11-21-17, 10:51 PM

trebaruna is on a distinguished road
Possible Adult ADD

Hello all,

For years, I have been struggling with a consistent problem: I can't seem to live up to my potential. In primary and high school, college teachers would consistently write that I was a "smart student, though having insufficient or Ok grades". When I liked the teacher, or felt motivated, I would do well. When not, I was doing not so well. I started college with lots of enthusiasm before becoming bored, and do a sloppy work which caused failures. The story always follows the same pattern: I get into something new, I am 100% into it, focus and performance are great (what I call the honeymoon phase), then boredom kicks in, I become blasť, and things turn bad. I've switched majors 3 times, worked many different jobs and I am not that old. I recently realized that I can't seem to focus from a very long time. I can't watch a movie without taking at least a couple breaks. I daydream a lot. I've always had many interest that I would pursue frantically from maybe a year or two before losing interest and moving to the next.
I have been wondering what my problem was for a while and recently came across ADD. I know that ADD is like ADHD's (Which I am not, I'm quiet) poor parent. It is not widely accepted, especially in adults. Does this sound familiar?

Old 11-22-17, 10:29 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,270 Times in 14,935 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Possible Adult ADD

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebaruna View Post
Hello all,

For years, I have been struggling with a consistent problem: I can't seem to live up to my potential. In primary and high school, college teachers would consistently write that I was a "smart student, though having insufficient or Ok grades". When I liked the teacher, or felt motivated, I would do well. When not, I was doing not so well. I started college with lots of enthusiasm before b ADecoming bored, and do a sloppy work which caused failures. The story always follows the same pattern: I get into something new, I am 100% into it, focus and performance are great (what I call the honeymoon phase), then boredom kicks in, I become blasť, and things turn bad.
What were your symptoms in childhood?

Quote:
I've switched majors 3 times, worked many different jobs and I am not that old. I recently realized that I can't seem to focus from a very long time. I can't watch a movie without taking at least a couple breaks. I daydream a lot. I've always had many interest that I would pursue frantically from maybe a year or two before losing interest and moving to the next.
I have been wondering what my problem was for a while and recently came across ADD. I know that ADD is like ADHD's (Which I am not, I'm quiet) poor parent. It is not widely accepted, especially in adults. Does this sound familiar
ADD and ADHD are now the same thing with different presentations now. Hyperfocus can be a things as well. It is important to get evaluated by a psychiatrist because they are the most knowledgable when it comes to medication and other treatment options.

To give you a general idea:
Quote:
Overview of the DSM-5TM medical classification system for ADHD
A persistent pattern of inattention and/or hyperactivity-impulsivity that interferes with functioning or development:1
For children, six or more of the symptoms (Table) have persisted for at least 6 months to a degree that is inconsistent with developmental level, and that negatively impacts directly on social and academic/occupational activities. Please note: the symptoms are not solely a manifestation of oppositional behaviour, defiance, hostility or failure to understand tasks or instructions1
For older adolescents and adults (age 17 and older), five or more symptoms are required (Table)1
Several inattentive or hyperactive-impulsive symptoms present prior to age 12 years1
Several inattentive or hyperactive-impulsive symptoms present in two or more settings (e.g. at home, school or work; with friends or relatives; in other activities)1
Clear evidence that the symptoms interfere with, or reduce the quality of, social, academic or occupational functioning1
Symptoms do not occur exclusively during the course of schizophrenia or another psychotic disorder, and are not better explained by another mental disorder (e.g. mood disorder, anxiety disorder, dissociative disorder, personality disorder, substance intoxication or withdrawal).1
DSM-5TM diagnostic criteria for ADHD: symptoms of inattention, hyperactivity and impulsivity. Reproduced with kind permission1
Symptoms of inattention Symptoms of hyperactivity and impulsivity
Often fails to give close attention to detail or makes mistakes Often fidgets with or taps hands and feet, or squirms in seat
Often has difficulty sustaining attention in tasks or activities Often leaves seat in situations when remaining seated is expected
Often does not seem to listen when spoken to directly Often runs and climbs in situations where it is inappropriate (in adolescents or adults, may be limited to feeling restless)
Often does not follow through on instructions and fails to finish schoolwork or workplace duties Often unable to play or engage in leisure activities quietly
Often has difficulty organising tasks and activities Is often ‘on the go’, acting as if ‘driven by a motor’
Often avoids, dislikes or is reluctant to engage in tasks that require sustained mental effort Often talks excessively
Often loses things necessary for tasks or activities Often blurts out answers before a question has been completed
Is easily distracted by extraneous stimuli Often has difficulty waiting their turn
Is often forgetful in daily activities Often interrupts or intrudes on others

I carried a watermelon?