ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 11-22-17, 12:14 PM

culperwoodhull is on a distinguished road
Speak too fast and talk too much...

Since I was a child, around aged four or five, my teachers and other staff at my school pleaded with my parents to put me on ADHD medication. They refused. Looking back on my school years is awful. Often times I was a disruption to the class. When I did try to concentrate on what the teachers were teaching, my brain just didn't comprehend what they were saying, more often than not. I reread the same sentences over and over and I talked super fast and a lot.

I am now 32 years old. I have been talking to my child's school about ADHD and the possibility of medicating. Medicating children in my opinion, should be a last resort, since our brains aren't fully developed until twenty-five. I really don't want to get into that debate, this is just my strong opinion, and it's not the reason I am bringing it up.

Since I've been talking about my child's ADHD, my wife and I are now talking about my obvious symptoms and have really been weighing the option to consult my doctor about taking a medication for my ADHD. It's embarrassing reflecting on past conversations where someone or multiple people might have made a face to someone else, indicating how irritated they were with my fast and excessive talking, or by making a comment like, "Get some sleep," obviously implying that they think I'm on crack cocaine or something similar. It truly is embarrassing, and every time I remember to remind myself to speak normal (which makes me feel like I'm talking like a super slow zombie) I can only maintain "normalcy" for a matter of seconds before my mouth takes flight again.

My question is, since I cannot control this, what medication is best for ADHD, the speaking problem especially? I know you aren't doctors (or some might be) but I just want to know some suggestions that I might take with to my doctor. Also if anyone has experience with medication being effective and working for this specific symptom of ADHD, it would be great to hear your experiences and suggestions. Also, I take Xanax as needed for random panic attacks and general anxiety. Does anyone know if the two medications will have a negative reaction? Thanks to any and all.
Old 11-23-17, 06:24 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 30,834 Times in 14,123 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Speak too fast and talk too much...

Quote:
Originally Posted by culperwoodhull View Post
I am now 32 years old. I have been talking to my child's school about ADHD and the possibility of medicating. Medicating children in my opinion, should be a last resort, since our brains aren't fully developed until twenty-five. I really don't want to get into that debate, this is just my strong opinion, and it's not the reason I am bringing it up.
FYI medications do not affect the way a child's brain develops.

Quote:
My question is, since I cannot control this, what medication is best for ADHD, the speaking problem especially? I know you aren't doctors (or some might be) but I just want to know some suggestions that I might take with to my doctor. Also if anyone has experience with medication being effective and working for this specific symptom of ADHD, it would be great to hear your experiences and suggestions. Also, I take Xanax as needed for random panic attacks and general anxiety. Does anyone know if the two medications will have a negative reaction? Thanks to any and all.
There are so many options out there. There are methylphenidate classes like ritalin or concerta and amphetamine classes like adderall or dexedrine. If you need meds for your adhd its likely your child will too.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 11-28-17, 01:45 AM

mikemotorbike is on a distinguished road

I also don't shut up. I don't respond typically to medication, so I am untreated(but diagnosed and on disability). I am trying a couple of different approaches.

I am spraying Magnesium 'Oil' on my body. It helps relax muscles and lend calm if you have a magnesium deficiency, which most people have. I relate to all the symptoms.

I am also taking Pilates, which develops the core muscles. It involves focusing on the lower abdominal area. I find my attention wanders randomly allover my body when I attempt to focus my concentration on a muscle group when working out. The deep breathing awareness, and excersizes help to develop mindfulness and attention. The ancient Eastern cultures had it all figured out millennia ago. In the modern material world, we just pump and jump and get all out of breath and call it physical fitness.

A wholistic approach.

I suspect I have a sort of PTSD from longstanding underdeveloped social skills and chronic unresolved trauma/drama/insecurities/embarrassment/self-esteem . Issues relating to dealing less effectively with people which arise from ADD in daily life. ie time management, punctuality, priorities, conflict resolution, sustained effort, consistency, steadfastness in friendships. The reason we talk a lot is because we are experiencing anxiety– a way of telling ourselves something is out of balance.(understatement)

I believe diet, supplementation and a being a musclebear will help bring social factors (dating, relationships, a trade) in synch with a healthier body.

As above, so below. There are no quick fixes. Practice acheiving regular habits each day, always returning to the plan gently when it goes off the rails (which is often! so no blame please.) I use reminders on my phone to do things like drink water hourly, eat regularly, and all appointments.

The intent to cure oneself IS the cure.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-17, 10:26 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 30,834 Times in 14,123 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemotorbike View Post
I also don't shut up. I don't respond typically to medication, so I am untreated(but diagnosed and on disability). I am trying a couple of different approaches.

I am spraying Magnesium 'Oil' on my body. It helps relax muscles and lend calm if you have a magnesium deficiency, which most people have. I relate to all the symptoms.

I am also taking Pilates, which develops the core muscles. It involves focusing on the lower abdominal area. I find my attention wanders randomly allover my body when I attempt to focus my concentration on a muscle group when working out. The deep breathing awareness, and excersizes help to develop mindfulness and attention. The ancient Eastern cultures had it all figured out millennia ago. In the modern material world, we just pump and jump and get all out of breath and call it physical fitness.

A wholistic approach.

I suspect I have a sort of PTSD from longstanding underdeveloped social skills and chronic unresolved trauma/drama/insecurities/embarrassment/self-esteem . Issues relating to dealing less effectively with people which arise from ADD in daily life. ie time management, punctuality, priorities, conflict resolution, sustained effort, consistency, steadfastness in friendships. The reason we talk a lot is because we are experiencing anxiety– a way of telling ourselves something is out of balance.(understatement)

I believe diet, supplementation and a being a musclebear will help bring social factors (dating, relationships, a trade) in synch with a healthier body.

As above, so below. There are no quick fixes. Practice acheiving regular habits each day, always returning to the plan gently when it goes off the rails (which is often! so no blame please.) I use reminders on my phone to do things like drink water hourly, eat regularly, and all appointments.

The intent to cure oneself IS the cure.
Im no doctor but have ever read up on what used to be called asbergers but now is autism spectrum disorder?

I carried a watermelon?