ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 11-24-17, 08:23 AM
ADDvanced Member

OyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud of
Unhappy Had my first appointment today...

I had to wait 2 months for this appointment, and all the psychiatrist did was ask me about non-ADHD related things. He gave me the standard BDI (depression index) paper and asked me stuff about my dating life and sexual orientation, () which schools I had gone to and previous jobs I had worked. He also asked me how my relationship with my family and friends is.

Basically it was things he could have asked me well ahead of time. I could have filled in the BDI form before my first appointment and e-mailed him about my family relations. I had to get up really early and travel to another city just for this. That's not the worst of it, he wants to bring in my mom without me there to talk to her (I'm an adult!!) and he's going to call teachers and stuff from the schools I went to as a kid. Basically he wants to launch a full-scale investigation into my life and interrogate everyone about my past. It all makes me uncomfortable, in part also because it felt like what I had to say or my own experience wasn't even worth talking about. Why wouldn't what I have to say be enough, why cause all this ruckus?

The worst part of all is that he told me that nothing's going to happen in 2017. My next appointment will be sometime in 2018, and the process from there will be several more months. Patience is not something I'm good at, especially when I don't even know whether I even will get help or not. He seemed so skeptical and suspicious.

I am feeling really discouraged right now and could use some hugs or something...
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to OyVeyKitty For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (12-03-17), aeon (11-25-17), DeClutter (11-25-17), Little Missy (11-24-17), namazu (11-26-17), WhiteOwl (11-27-17)
Old 11-24-17, 08:30 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,086 Times in 11,256 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Had my first appointment today...

oh my goodness! I don't even know what to say.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
OyVeyKitty (11-24-17), WhiteOwl (11-27-17)
Old 11-24-17, 02:28 PM
Contributor

Emre22 is a jewel in the roughEmre22 is a jewel in the roughEmre22 is a jewel in the rough

Can't you find another psychiatrist? I guess his first priority is not helping you, he decided to investigate your personal life instead of helping.
The Following User Says Thank You to Emre22 For This Useful Post:
WhiteOwl (11-27-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-17, 03:27 PM
ADDvanced Member

OyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emre22 View Post
Can't you find another psychiatrist? I guess his first priority is not helping you, he decided to investigate your personal life instead of helping.
Unfortunately I can't afford to go private because it costs an arm and a leg here, so I'm stuck with this guy because he was assigned to me. Beggars can't be choosers and I shouldn't complain about it since it's free, I guess.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OyVeyKitty For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-25-17), Emre22 (11-25-17)
Old 11-25-17, 04:33 AM
Contributor

Emre22 is a jewel in the roughEmre22 is a jewel in the roughEmre22 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyVeyKitty View Post
Unfortunately I can't afford to go private because it costs an arm and a leg here, so I'm stuck with this guy because he was assigned to me. Beggars can't be choosers and I shouldn't complain about it since it's free, I guess.
I hope you find someway, sorry to hear that
Maybe you should try to guide your doctor on next appointment,i don't know he is reasonable guy or not but you can try to guide him at least maybe .
I can guess how you feel , i had similar problem like yours about sleeping.When doctors act like they know everything that you can help you and doesnt seem to care about your thought then you know he can't help you and hopelessly waiting his ways to work out.
OyVeyKitty (11-25-17)
Old 11-25-17, 06:00 AM
Contributor

Btw even if it is free, it doesnt mean that you have to accept horrible treatment conditions. You are Finland citizen, you pay taxes to your government in order to get services that you deserve. Healthcare is one of them , this isn't a grace .
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emre22 For This Useful Post:
OyVeyKitty (11-25-17), WhiteOwl (11-27-17)
Old 11-25-17, 06:16 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emre22 View Post
Btw even if it is free, it doesnt mean that you have to accept horrible treatment conditions. You are Finland citizen, you pay taxes to your government in order to get services that you deserve. Healthcare is one of them , this isn't a grace .
Thank you. I know, but right now I don't feel like I can complain since he's sort of trying. I also suspect that most public healthcare psychiatrists will be pretty similar, they are extremely wary of giving out diagnoses which require treatment with drugs that can be abused. They are probably afraid of getting a reputation for giving out drugs too easily or something.
The Following User Says Thank You to OyVeyKitty For This Useful Post:
Emre22 (11-25-17)
Old 11-25-17, 06:23 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Thank you. I know, but right now I don't feel like I can complain since he's sort of trying. I also suspect that most public healthcare psychiatrists will be pretty similar, they are extremely wary of giving out diagnoses which require treatment with drugs that can be abused. They are probably afraid of getting a reputation for giving out drugs too easily or something.
we have same problem in Turkey, normally i was going to my mother's psychatrist and he was prescribing me everything that i need easily because he knew me for years . But right now i am in different city İstanbul , so i go to another one and that guy tried out everything on me instead of prescribing controlled substance Zopiclon.
He wanted to prescribe largactil(thorazine) even , it is oldest anti-psychotic...

I guess all the doctors have same problem except few one (like my mother's psychatrist) they are too obsessed about prescribing controlled substances.
Here this crazy doctor , i couldnt sleep for 40 hours after that he prescribed me the drug that i need .
They think it is safer but it is only delay of treatment in my opinion. If they arent supposed give us the drugs that we need , they are useless in my opinion.
They want to see everyone as a potential drug abuser.

I think that they don't believe in stimulant treatment even in my opinion , i guess they see it same as using street drug , only one difference we use it under doctor control.
OyVeyKitty (11-25-17)
Old 11-25-17, 05:05 PM
ADDvanced Member

DeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I am feeling really discouraged right now and could use some hugs or something...
First lets start with that hug! :-)

Reminds me of just finding a place to get a diagnosis, i called many group practices and private psychiatrists, was referred around only to realise that in my country its hard to find a good place for diagnosis. Really took me a month or two.

But then indeed, you drag yourself in there - with the hope to find some relief and help there - to only realise, ... I know i have ADD, got the T-shirt, i have lived it my whole life, but now the 'professionals' are just gonna do it in their very own timeconsuming way, and waste the first session with a very broad besides the point series of questions :-)))

"Common Doc, if you asked the right question we would already have had a diagnosis after 10 minutes". :-)

I just comfort myself with the idea that diagnosis will take time, they will not immediately share my own conviction, cause there is only one thing worse then having no diagnosis: getting misdiagnosed.

Hang in there, it will be allright... in the end
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeClutter For This Useful Post:
OyVeyKitty (11-25-17), WhiteOwl (11-27-17)
Old 11-25-17, 06:40 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeClutter View Post
First lets start with that hug! :-)

Reminds me of just finding a place to get a diagnosis, i called many group practices and private psychiatrists, was referred around only to realise that in my country its hard to find a good place for diagnosis. Really took me a month or two.

But then indeed, you drag yourself in there - with the hope to find some relief and help there - to only realise, ... I know i have ADD, got the T-shirt, i have lived it my whole life, but now the 'professionals' are just gonna do it in their very own timeconsuming way, and waste the first session with a very broad besides the point series of questions :-)))

"Common Doc, if you asked the right question we would already have had a diagnosis after 10 minutes". :-)

I just comfort myself with the idea that diagnosis will take time, they will not immediately share my own conviction, cause there is only one thing worse then having no diagnosis: getting misdiagnosed.

Hang in there, it will be allright... in the end
Thanks a ton for the hug and positive vibes! It's true, having psychs frequently misdiagnose people wouldn't exactly be a good thing either lol! I'm simply not good at being patient I guess, but I'm going to try my best. I'm sure it will work out in the end. If he can't see that I have ADD then he really needs to find a new job.
The Following User Says Thank You to OyVeyKitty For This Useful Post:
DeClutter (11-26-17)
Old 11-26-17, 03:19 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Thanks a ton for the hug and positive vibes! It's true, having psychs frequently misdiagnose people wouldn't exactly be a good thing either lol! I'm simply not good at being patient I guess, but I'm going to try my best. I'm sure it will work out in the end. If he can't see that I have ADD then he really needs to find a new job.
We(ADHD'ers) arent good at being patient
OyVeyKitty (11-26-17)
Old 11-26-17, 08:34 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,176 Times in 14,304 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I so wish you could go private cause your doc sounds like a jerk.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Emre22 (11-26-17), OyVeyKitty (11-26-17), WhiteOwl (11-27-17)