ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-18, 08:18 PM

asalem is on a distinguished road
Why do i feel like i need to rush?

I feel like i am always in a rush to do things. I don't like to get out of my comfort zone and if i do, then i feel like i need to rush things to get back to my zone. Even work is a problem, tho i am not lazy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to asalem For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (08-22-18), stef (08-23-18)
Old 08-22-18, 09:24 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,378 Times in 11,465 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why do i feel like i need to rush?

I have tried for 60 years, believe me, I'd LOVE to know.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
stef (08-23-18)
Old 08-23-18, 01:52 AM
ADDvanced Member

BrandyDW is a jewel in the roughBrandyDW is a jewel in the roughBrandyDW is a jewel in the rough

Personality quirk?

On Adderall for ADHD, lyrica for Fibromyalgia, lexapro and viibryd for depression and anxiety, cosentyx for psoriasis, cyclosporine for IC,
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-18, 02:18 AM
ADDvanced Member

1000koni has much to be proud of1000koni has much to be proud of1000koni has much to be proud of1000koni has much to be proud of1000koni has much to be proud of1000koni has much to be proud of1000koni has much to be proud of1000koni has much to be proud of1000koni has much to be proud of1000koni has much to be proud of

I suspect some of this comes from a kind of lack of trust in what is, certainly the "process" of getting there, and another comes from a mindset (and also experience) of motivation being limited, so when some desire is felt or noticed, then the automatic response is to rush to it, because the motivational follow through often is not there if I wait too long. The comfort zone attraction is slightly different. It is a place where dissonances are less felt (because there is much less confrontation, also because it takes a lot of energy to be present around other people) and it is a "place" (this means space plus time) where I can ride the ferris wheel of repetitions, and it is in these repetitions that our emotions reside, in the sense - where I can feel connection, even though ironically, the ADD type connections could and often are centered around a kind of nothingness, or doing little, or just being busy, or just being slightly distracted. And again, I don't know your story, but I suspect for me, that there is a huge longing for some repetitions in the comfort zone. Maybe because in that space it is so easy to feel like I am connected, or if not, that it does not matter. The problem is that it is very hard to assign this to any kind of purpose of direction, and certainly purpose is a part of a live well or fully lived.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1000koni For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (08-23-18), stef (08-23-18)
Old 08-23-18, 03:58 AM

Thanked 27,014 Times in 13,120 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

Well it totally makes sense, certain tasks are grueling and painful for us while someone without adhd will just find them an annoyance. Like shopping in a very crowded store when you're tired but absolutely need some item.

really it's like getting caught in a downpour without an umbrella, you're going to rush to the nearest place where you can get inside or at least stand in a doorway.

The thing I rush through, is any kind online form and then i am clicking on ok for everything, and i forgot to fill in a field or "username does not match password", etc; or i've made a mistake and can't fix it right away, because i've already submitted the whole form.
The Following User Says Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (08-23-18)
Old 08-23-18, 04:17 AM

Thanked 6,141 Times in 2,896 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by asalem View Post
I feel like i am always in a rush to do things. I don't like to get out of my comfort zone and if i do, then i feel like i need to rush things to get back to my zone. Even work is a problem, tho i am not lazy.

Part of what is going on in ADHD is overactivation of the stress system (sympathetic nervous system). It can make you restless or hyperactive or just contribute to a sense of internal restlessness.

If it is present all the time it can be very hard to see- because there is no contrast.

Whenever you see a crowd all rushing in the same direction on any one issue, run in the opposite direction.

There is neither fun nor profit to be had in polishing the brass knobs on a bandwagon.
Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kunga Dorji For This Useful Post:
Rebelyell (08-23-18)
Old 08-23-18, 05:41 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,233 Times in 14,915 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I feel this way when I am "late" except I am not usually late I just feel that way. If I dont get up at my regular time I feel late even when I am way early or have no reason to be up other than sticking to my routine. Yesterday I wanted to get to the mall at 10 to take my daughter birthday shopping but I didnt get there until 1045 and I felt late. If I wake up at 5 instead of 4 on a week day I feel late. I am obsessively early to everything because being late gives me anxiety.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
stef (08-24-18)
Old 08-23-18, 06:07 PM
Contributor

Vector is a glorious beacon of lightVector is a glorious beacon of lightVector is a glorious beacon of lightVector is a glorious beacon of lightVector is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunga Dorji View Post
Part of what is going on in ADHD is overactivation of the stress system (sympathetic nervous system). It can make you restless or hyperactive or just contribute to a sense of internal restlessness.

If it is present all the time it can be very hard to see- because there is no contrast.

I agree with this. Most of us use these kinds of tricks to get sharp and to get things done.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vector For This Useful Post:
stef (08-24-18)
Old 08-23-18, 08:30 PM

warmbrew_991 is on a distinguished road

I rush really hard, used to finish in class assignments 30 minutes before everyone else and then I'd get in trouble for doing nothing. Then the teacher would check my work and it'd be best in the class so eventually I stopped getting in trouble and did nothing for most of school. Honestly it was one of the reasons I never got diagnosed in school as the teachers trusted me too much and the work was easy.

And apart from that I always rush, if I have to go somewhere I need to get ready as soon as I think about it and get there as fast as possible.
Old 08-23-18, 09:50 PM

Thanked 10,746 Times in 5,792 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

I always feel rushed n it makes me very anxious