ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD A forum to discuss Anxiety, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Panic Disorder, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Simple Phobias, and Social Anxiety Disorder

Old 11-30-17, 12:53 AM

fathom6 is on a distinguished road
What is fear/timidity exactly - Please help

I am at loss to understand what being excessively timid is as a condition? Is it "anxiety"?

I'v been diagnosed with ADD since childhood and just recently started meds. Currently taking Vyvanse which helps me 70% more in getting things done, while 25% help in being more brave ... though this 25% improvement is not enough.

I feel ashamed being timid, but I'v been called that all my life, in childhood regularly beaten up and now as working professional, such comments entering my performance reviews as a yearly ritual. I hate it. I cannot confront anyone to their face, I really feel ashamed of myself. Though I dont think this feeling of shame combined with fear is depression, is it?

Is this anxiety?. I dont think so. I have tried anxiety meds (gabapentin, a powerful and otherwise wonderful med in relieving anxiety) but it makes me even more timid.

Which neurotransmitter is responsible for bravery? (for lack of better word, sorry). Please help.
Old 11-30-17, 11:26 AM
ADDvanced Member

DeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to behold
Re: What is fear/timidity exactly - Please help

Timidity can have several causes.

Being overly self-aware due to being very sensitive to other people's reaction and possible rejection is what caused me to be timid in my teen years.

I later then compensated that with an aloof and nonchalant attitude, which took away the fears from my conscious mind, while still active in my subconscious causing an overcompensating attitude in various areas of my life.

Now often balancing inbetween the two... i guess we add people all walk around with lots of burried shame, fearfull that someone may actually find out those weaknesses we so much try to compensate for
The Following User Says Thank You to DeClutter For This Useful Post:
fathom6 (11-30-17)
Old 11-30-17, 04:11 PM

fathom6 is on a distinguished road

DeClutter, I feel 100% same as my cause (being overly self aware and being very sensitive to people's reaction), but we need to find medically explained "cause" or a medical condition attached to it ... there has to be something.

I hear you on the aloof and non-chalant attitude as a compensatory technique, I have tried it, though in my line of work it is perceived as worse than the first.

I just placed an order for DMEA supplement. I heard braver people have elevated levels of it, I hope thats right. Anyone here with experience using that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeClutter View Post
Timidity can have several causes.

Being overly self-aware due to being very sensitive to other people's reaction and possible rejection is what caused me to be timid in my teen years.

I later then compensated that with an aloof and nonchalant attitude, which took away the fears from my conscious mind, while still active in my subconscious causing an overcompensating attitude in various areas of my life.

Now often balancing inbetween the two... i guess we add people all walk around with lots of burried shame, fearfull that someone may actually find out those weaknesses we so much try to compensate for
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-17, 05:18 PM
ADDvanced Member

DeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to behold

I think the cause could be both in the "wiring" and "life experiences". Hard and Software. Nature and Nurture.

Hardware wise, i think i came into this world with a more sensitive brain. But the software that was installed right up to my adolescence was also loaded with bugs. Our parents teach us not only how to live, they also teach us what to fear and how to fail. Or, they hardly teach us anything, as in my case, and then deep down you are never shure of anything... and then you end up decades later still catching yourself living by the credo "fake it till you make it" in many social situations
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeClutter For This Useful Post:
fathom6 (01-15-18), Greyhound1 (12-02-17), Talietje (12-03-17)