ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-17, 05:31 AM

gekkehenkie is on a distinguished road
Diagnosed at 40+ Netherlands

40+ Male, living in the Netherlands. Went to see a psychologist in March this year due to having panic attacks. It took a while when she suggested ADHD could be in play (based on my life story and symptoms I showed). Then I had two extended interviews with differen psychologists, my SO got interviewed as well and then I saw a psychiatrist.

Got diagnosed with Panic Disorder and ADHD combined (classis example by the words of my pschiatrist (ADHD Expert)). Didn't took her long: I either talk fast or can't find the words, move fast regardless my physhique, think fast, look at the negatives rather then positives, eye contact not when I need to think about what to say, fidgetting all the time.

My environment doesn't see the ADHD as a problem, so I felt it wasn't a problem. The PD was and is. However, of course I procrastinate, drift of in thoughts and quite often when I'm overloaded with impressions I turn very much into myself and then the anxiety takes over. Some times I can snap out of it, other times I just want to sleep. And that kept frustrating me, so we decided to deal with the anxiety first.

Currently on escitalopram (week 4). Effect so far: less frustrated and I'm finally accepting the diagnosis (also due to talks with my pschologist; she really knows how to make me think and deal with stuff I'ld usually supress or ignore).

Not sure if I will use medication for ADHD in the future: for now we (my SO and co-workers) manage by keeping me accountable and remind me often of things I should do.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gekkehenkie For This Useful Post:
DeClutter (11-30-17), FlipperTheWhale (01-18-18)
Old 01-18-18, 10:38 PM
Jr Member

Jaykay8 is on a distinguished road
Re: Diagnosed at 40+ Netherlands

hi there I completely relate: diagnosed at 40 with adult adhd + "generalised anxiety disorder" which should really be 'panic disorder'. Struggled with panic attacks & anxiety all my life. Now I finally know what caused them: undiagnosed adhd.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaykay8 For This Useful Post:
FlipperTheWhale (01-18-18)