ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > General Parenting Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Parenting Issues The purpose of this forum is to discuss general parenting issues related to children with AD/HD(ADD & ADHD)

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-17, 02:07 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,132 Times in 850 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation
Re: What can primary caregivers do to accommodate ADHD temperament?

I guess I should have wrote..

Edit:What can primary caregivers do to accommodate a more sensitive child before ADHD ?

What way would you write it?

Recommendations appreciated.

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 12-06-17 at 02:18 AM.. Reason: Ediit recommendations appreciated
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mildadhd For This Useful Post:
Luvmybully (12-08-17), namazu (12-06-17)
Old 12-06-17, 02:21 AM

What can primary caregivers do to accommodate the infant from birth til the child gets ADHD?

If we are not born with a ADHD temperament, when do we inherit ADHD?

M
Old 12-06-17, 02:43 AM

Between birth————————and———————————deficits of emotional self regulation.

Lunacie

Are you sure we are not born with a ADHD temperament?

M
Old 12-06-17, 02:47 AM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 19,849 Times in 9,927 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
What can primary caregivers do to accommodate a more sensitive child before ADHD ?
What way would you write it?
I'd keep it simple: "What can primary caregivers do to help a sensitive child?"

So far, people have suggested:
  • love
  • extra time
  • hugs
  • advocacy on their behalf
  • not letting them assume that the world should adapt to them and instead figuring out strategies to enable them to meet expectations
  • ensuring that parents' own challenges (including ADHD) are addressed
  • letting them know they're appreciated
  • fun
The Following User Says Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (12-06-17)
Old 12-06-17, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namazu View Post
I'd keep it simple: "What can primary caregivers do to help a sensitive child?"

So far, people have suggested:
  • love
  • extra time
  • hugs
  • advocacy on their behalf
  • not letting them assume that the world should adapt to them and instead figuring out strategies to enable them to meet expectations
  • ensuring that parents' own challenges (including ADHD) are addressed
  • letting them know they're appreciated
  • fun
Thanks, much appreciated.

Quote:
[*]not letting them assume that the world should adapt to them and instead figuring out strategies to enable them to meet expectations
i think understand what you mean, I want to add, it is important to recognize that a more sensitive child experiences more adverse experiences already, due to being more sensitive, and a more sensitive temperament should be taken into consideration when considering what the right balance is.

M
Old 12-06-17, 03:25 AM

Make sure the children feel safe.

M
Old 12-06-17, 09:01 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Caco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to all

Quote:
All humans are born with autonomic temperaments

More sensitive temperaments are more reactive temperaments.

People who have ADHD where born with a more sensitive autonomic temperament to autonomic distresses.

That is why distresses make things worse for us.

I agree that infants who inherit/born with a more sensitive temperament do not have ADHD, yet.

Because not all the dopaminergic impairments associated with ADHD are normally developed in any human before the age of 4-7*.

What can primary caregivers do to accommodate for a more emotionally sensitive temperament before the possibility of becoming a more sensitive temperament diagnosed with ADHD?

M

If you would like to discuss an actual symptom of ADHD we would all be happy to do so, but you would need to post a question that doesn't have a false basis. I cannot discuss the "ADHD temperament", the phrase "does not compute" applies greatly in this case.

Also:

-Humans are born with autonomic nervous systems, not temperaments. There is no such thing as an autonomic temperament.

-Sensitive and Reactive are synonyms, so one does not yield the other, they are the same thing.

-Your assertion that "People who have ADHD where born with a more sensitive autonomic temperament to autonomic distresses." is false since not all ADHD people are sensitive, still don't know what an autonomic temperament is, but autonomic distress is an instinctual reaction, usually to pain, and not sure what that has to do with ADHD.

-"dopaminergic impairments" is not the cause of ADHD, the best doctors in the world haven't figured out what causes ADHD.

-Emotionally sensitive kids, and how to help them has been addressed.

-As to your assertion, AGAIN, that ADHD is a temperament, it is not. Dyslexia, Diabetes, and glaucoma are also not temperaments, they are medical conditions, as is ADHD.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Caco3girl For This Useful Post:
aeon (12-06-17), Little Missy (12-06-17), Lunacie (12-06-17), maple17 (12-07-17)
Old 12-06-17, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caco3girl View Post
If you would like to discuss an actual symptom of ADHD we would all be happy to do so, but you would need to post a question that doesn't have a false basis. I cannot discuss the "ADHD temperament", the phrase "does not compute" applies greatly in this case.

Also:

-Humans are born with autonomic nervous systems, not temperaments. There is no such thing as an autonomic temperament.

-Sensitive and Reactive are synonyms, so one does not yield the other, they are the same thing.

-Your assertion that "People who have ADHD where born with a more sensitive autonomic temperament to autonomic distresses." is false since not all ADHD people are sensitive, still don't know what an autonomic temperament is, but autonomic distress is an instinctual reaction, usually to pain, and not sure what that has to do with ADHD.

-"dopaminergic impairments" is not the cause of ADHD, the best doctors in the world haven't figured out what causes ADHD.

-Emotionally sensitive kids, and how to help them has been addressed.

-As to your assertion, AGAIN, that ADHD is a temperament, it is not. Dyslexia, Diabetes, and glaucoma are also not temperaments, they are medical conditions, as is ADHD.
You have shown that all your interested in doing is pushing my buttons in several threads.

I am not very good at playing head games, so it is best I do not reply.

Take care

M
Old 12-06-17, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Love them. Always make them feel loved. Hug them and show them physical affection. Show them you've always got their back. Advocate for them. Offer support. Help them realize that even when the world seems like its crashing down, they've still got you.

I love this post.

Making sure a more sensitive child always knows the relationship with their parents is unconditional no matter what.

M
Old 12-06-17, 11:52 AM

Arthos is a jewel in the roughArthos is a jewel in the roughArthos is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caco3girl
I don't ask the world to accommodate them, THEY have to adapt to the world.
This topic is not about what the world can do to accommodate kids, but what primary caregivers (i.e. parents) can do until such time that they can manage on their own. Seems only natural to me to adapt your parenting style to whatever your child needs. Children are not born knowing how to adapt to the world
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arthos For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (12-06-17), Luvmybully (12-08-17), mildadhd (12-06-17)
Old 12-06-17, 11:58 AM

Arthos is a jewel in the roughArthos is a jewel in the roughArthos is a jewel in the rough

Hi mildadhd, there are so many assumptions / unusual definitions going on in this topic that it is (at least for me) hard to understand what you are asking.

The cause of ADHD is unknown. In fact, ADHD is diagnosed based on clinical symptoms. That means that it is likely that there are several possible causes involved and that two people with ADHD might have very different underlying causes.

Are you asking what parents can do to accommodate children with ADHD (symptoms) until such time that they can be diagnosed and treated?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arthos For This Useful Post:
aeon (12-06-17), mildadhd (12-06-17)
Old 12-06-17, 12:34 PM

Thanked 14,543 Times in 6,492 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You have shown that all your interested in doing is pushing my buttons in several threads.

I am not very good at playing head games, so it is best I do not reply.
It’s no head game...she’s actually calling your post out, and with valid points.

That’s the thing, mildadhd...if you create posts that make no sense, or have no basis in fact, and then ask for discussion, the first point of discussion is (fairly) the fact those posts don’t make sense, and have no basis in fact.

If and when this is pointed out, you call it head games.

If people try to have a conversation with you, you reassert your point in a pedantic, stentorian way which closes off discussion, and does not encourage it. You have done this repeatedly.

Caco3girl addressed you respectfully, and you then asserted she was attacking you personally. I think that’s at best unreasonable on your part.

And I have to laud the patience of namazu, who took the time to engage, organize, and try to understand you.

I urge you to take some time to cool off, and then address what Caco3girl said in her reply. That she would engage you and take you seriously is evidence of her respect in general and genuine engagement specifically with what you have said.

Reasonable feedback and critique, solicited or otherwise, is always a gift, I think, and my sense is Caco3girl offered you the very best kind thereof.

Cheers,
Ian
Arthos (12-06-17), Caco3girl (12-06-17), Little Missy (12-06-17), Lunacie (12-06-17), maple17 (12-07-17)
Old 12-06-17, 12:57 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Caco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthos View Post
This topic is not about what the world can do to accommodate kids, but what primary caregivers (i.e. parents) can do until such time that they can manage on their own. Seems only natural to me to adapt your parenting style to whatever your child needs. Children are not born knowing how to adapt to the world
I think our signals are getting crossed here. In the original post mildadhd asked "Primary caregivers are in the best position to accommodate that extra time needed, and also make sure that other family and community members also accommodate that extra time, when needed."

My response to that is that I don't make sure other family and community members accommodate my kids, they have to adapt to the world, not the other way around. I can't see my son explaining to his boss that he is constantly 20-40 minutes late due to ADHD, and the boss should accommodate his tardiness.

The world doesn't work that way, so I'm trying very hard to make sure my kids understand that if they know they have a weakness they need to figure out a way to overcome it or get around it. In my kids case I ask them to be 30 minutes early to everything. This is how we as a family adapt to the world, we don't ask the world to stop and wait for them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caco3girl For This Useful Post:
aeon (12-06-17), Arthos (12-06-17)
Old 12-06-17, 01:03 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeon View Post
It’s no head game...she’s actually calling your post out, and with valid points.

That’s the thing, mildadhd...if you create posts that make no sense, or have no basis in fact, and then ask for discussion, the first point of discussion is (fairly) the fact those posts don’t make sense, and have no basis in fact.

If and when this is pointed out, you call it head games.

If people try to have a conversation with you, you reassert your point in a pedantic, stentorian way which closes off discussion, and does not encourage it. You have done this repeatedly.

Caco3girl addressed you respectfully, and you then asserted she was attacking you personally. I think that’s at best unreasonable on your part.

And I have to laud the patience of namazu, who took the time to engage, organize, and try to understand you.

I urge you to take some time to cool off, and then address what Caco3girl said in her reply. That she would engage you and take you seriously is evidence of her respect in general and genuine engagement specifically with what you have said.

Reasonable feedback and critique, solicited or otherwise, is always a gift, I think, and my sense is Caco3girl offered you the very best kind thereof.

Cheers,
Ian
Thank you Aeon....by the way can we make stentorian the word of the day? My vocabulary is pretty impressive and yet that one was a new one for me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caco3girl For This Useful Post:
aeon (12-06-17), Little Missy (12-06-17)
Old 12-06-17, 01:20 PM

Thanked 14,543 Times in 6,492 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caco3girl View Post
Thank you Aeon....by the way can we make stentorian the word of the day? My vocabulary is pretty impressive and yet that one was a new one for me
You are most welcome, and certainly!

I love when I learn new words. I love when I learn new things.

For the usual reasons, of course...but the love of novelty is strong with this one.

Cheers,
Ian
Little Missy (12-06-17)
Closed Thread