ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > General Parenting Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Parenting Issues The purpose of this forum is to discuss general parenting issues related to children with AD/HD(ADD & ADHD)

Closed Thread

Old 12-08-17, 04:36 AM

maple17 is on a distinguished road
Re: What can primary caregivers do to accommodate ADHD temperament?

Quote:
Originally Posted by namazu View Post
For what it's worth, when I made that list, I was merely trying to summarize the responses that people had already given to the question asked in the subject of the thread.

While (like you) I do believe that many of those ideas are generally good parenting advice, I definitely did not mean to endorse the idea that they could prevent a child with a predisposition towards ADHD (or autism, or...) from developing the condition.

I'm glad you've found appropriate ways to help your daughter cope with her ASD/ADHD.
I didn't take it that way (prevention), namazu, so no worries.

I guess my frustration comes from having done everything on the list and more, reading all the books on the sensitive child, the explosive child, whatever, and feeling like we were struggling for the longest time because we didn't feel like any of these strategies were helping and it was only after diagnosis and medication that she was able to cope successfully, then thrive and flourish like we had been trying to help her with all these years. We finally had answers and could do the things that actually made a tremendous difference.

I still don't really understand the environmental factors for "more sensitive temperments." My two children share this home environment, same type of parenting, same school (until last year). Two vastly different cognitive profiles and supposed sensitivity. One has no issues whatsover with emotional regulation, despite a boatload of sensory issues.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maple17 For This Useful Post:
Caco3girl (12-08-17), Lunacie (12-08-17), namazu (12-08-17)
Old 12-08-17, 09:06 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Caco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
Why would there be a inborn temperament associated with autism but not ADHD?

If there is no inherited temperment associated with ADHD, does that mean ADHD is not inherited?

I think in the future, I will refer to the normal inborn temperament associated with what ever disorder is being discussed.

When I started this thread, I thought the idea of was widely accepted that many children with ADHD, where born with a more sensitive temperament and was not expecting the disagreement in this thread.

M
Again, that would depend what you are calling a sensitive temperament. I know many ADHD kids, and have two of my own. I've never heard of them being sensitive to hugs or touch or lights. I have heard of one who gets flustered if there is a lot of noise and he can't think, but most babies are upset by a lot of noise.

What sensitivities did you think ADHD kids were born with?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caco3girl For This Useful Post:
maple17 (12-08-17), namazu (12-08-17)
Old 12-08-17, 04:14 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,141 Times in 857 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caco3girl View Post
Again, that would depend what you are calling a sensitive temperament. I know many ADHD kids, and have two of my own. I've never heard of them being sensitive to hugs or touch or lights. I have heard of one who gets flustered if there is a lot of noise and he can't think, but most babies are upset by a lot of noise.

What sensitivities did you think ADHD kids were born with?
(I have moderate ADHD)

There are 3 types of homologous affective feelings; emotional, sensory and homeostatic.

I have been more sensitive in all 3 areas ever since I was born.

M
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-17, 04:27 PM

Thanked 25,454 Times in 11,837 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Why would there be a inborn temperament associated with autism but not ADHD?

If there is no inherited temperment associated with ADHD, does that mean ADHD is not inherited?

I think in the future, I will refer to the normal inborn temperament associated with what ever disorder is being discussed.

When I started this thread, I thought the idea of was widely accepted that many children with ADHD, where born with a more sensitive temperament and was not expecting the disagreement in this thread.

M
I thought that the inability to self-regulate makes us feel everything more
urgently.

I'm not sure that's the same thing as hypersensitivity that's linked to autism.

I strongly suspect that I'm either on the spectrum myself, or sub-threshold.

Have you been evaluated for autism, mild?

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Luvmybully (12-08-17), namazu (12-08-17)
Old 12-08-17, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
I thought that the inability to self-regulate makes us feel everything more
urgently.

I'm not sure that's the same thing as hypersensitivity that's linked to autism.

I strongly suspect that I'm either on the spectrum myself, or sub-threshold.
Emotional regulation develops from the bottom up.

We can be born with less dopamine neurones in the midbrain VTA, before top down tertiary neocortical emotional self regulation even develops.

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 12-08-17 at 04:45 PM.. Reason: Edit mistake removed “self”
Old 12-08-17, 04:42 PM

We can be born with a temperament more sensitive to emotional, sensory and homeostatic distresses.

There is research that shows that a more sensitive inborn temperament to distresses can be epigenetically inherited, at least 3 generations.

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 12-08-17 at 04:53 PM..
Old 12-08-17, 05:10 PM

Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Emotional regulation develops from the bottom up.

We can be born with less dopamine neurones in the midbrain VTA, before top down tertiary neocortical emotional self regulation even develops.

M
If you don't want to answer my question that's fine.
I wish you would just say so though.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (12-08-17)
Old 12-08-17, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post

Have you been evaluated for autism, mild?
My hypersensitivities are more related to ADHD, than what I have read in regards to autism, although I think there can be lots of overlap if a person has both ADHD and autism.

I understand but do not personally relate to the hypersensitives Temple Grandin says she experiences if that helps.

There is a sensory section here at ADDForums that does involve discussions and examples of emotional, sensory and homeostatic hypersensitivities related to ADHD., that I experience.

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 12-08-17 at 06:05 PM..
Old 12-08-17, 06:29 PM

I remember Daveddd discussing something about some young children who have ADHD, having more irritable temperament?

But my addforums search option is not working, to try and find the discussion.

The days defore my dads funeral I had a chance to see and ask a lot of people who knew me in early childhood, and I was usually very easy going but could get irritated very quickly.

I also peed the bed and my pants more than usual, I am sure that is at least partly related to being born with a more anxious temperament.

M
Old 12-08-17, 06:36 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 19,974 Times in 9,998 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I also peed the bed and my pants more than usual, I am sure that is at least partly related to being born with a more anxious temperament.
I did too, but I did not have an anxious temperament as a child. (I only really developed anxiety as teen/adult.)

I just didn't have a good sense of when my bladder was full -- or if I did notice, I was sometimes too engrossed in what I was doing to tear myself away to get to the bathroom on time. "I was too busy playing!" I told my mom once, when she asked why I didn't go to the bathroom...

It seems to me that there can be a number of underlying reasons for observed behaviors.

In the case of enuresis (pants-wetting), for me, at least, I guess time and maturation were the necessary accommodation (besides my parents insisting I take potty breaks periodically).

For what it's worth, the "sensory" section of the forum is in the "coexisting conditions" section. While some people may experience sensory sensitivities related to their ADHD, sometimes those sensory sensitivities are related to other causes -- and not everyone with ADHD has pronounced sensory sensitivities. I don't think I do. I do tend to be distracted by sensory stimuli more than other people, but I don't think I experience sensory stimuli more strongly than other people, and I don't generally find typical levels of sensory input to be painful or distressful.

Last edited by namazu; 12-08-17 at 06:50 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (12-08-17), peripatetic (12-08-17)
Old 12-08-17, 07:15 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 19,974 Times in 9,998 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I just didn't have a good sense of when my bladder was full -- or if I did notice, I was sometimes too engrossed in what I was doing to tear myself away to get to the bathroom on time.
Using your preferred terminology, would this count as "homeostatic hyposensitivity"?
Old 12-08-17, 07:20 PM

I agree that enuresis is seen to be a delay in development of the central
nervous system and a delay in awareness so they don't wake up when
their bladder is full.

Old 12-08-17, 07:46 PM

Quote:
My hypersensitivities are more related to ADHD, than what I have read in regards to autism, although I think there can be lots of overlap if a person has both ADHD and autism.

I understand but do not personally relate to the hypersensitives Temple Grandin says she experiences if that helps.

There is a sensory section here at ADDForums that does involve discussions and examples of emotional, sensory and homeostatic hypersensitivities related to ADHD., that I experience.

M
In this short clip Temple Grandin explains that sounds can affect her strongly,
but for others the flickering of florescent lights (or cop lights) can be the
sensory issue. She is saying that different senses are affected in different
people, and in different ways. It can be different for everyone.

For my oldest granddaughter it's the sound of someone chewing, which has
never bothered me unless it was ice. But the sound of a motorcycle engine
sends my heart pounding and that doesn't bother her at all.

Last edited by namazu; 12-08-17 at 08:12 PM.. Reason: fixed YouTube link: use http instead of https at start of URL so page displays correctly
Old 12-08-17, 08:05 PM

It makes sense to me now that people who have ADHD, were not born with ADHD.

But I read that the number and density of the dopamine neurones in the VTA, are determined before birth?

So there may be some type of autonomic inborn hypersensitive temperament beginning in the VTA, for at least some people.

M
Old 12-08-17, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by namazu
I just didn't have a good sense of when my bladder was full -- or if I did notice, I was sometimes too engrossed in what I was doing to tear myself away to get to the bathroom on time.

Quote:
Using your preferred terminology, would this count as "homeostatic hyposensitivity"?

Our sense of time develops with the development our emotional self regulation.

Our sense of time is delayed if our development of emotional self regulation is delayed.

Dr. Barkley say we have “time blindness”.

My mother calls it laziness.

I disagree with my mother.

(Side note, I am not ruling out sensory or homeostatic factors involved)

M