ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > General Parenting Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Parenting Issues The purpose of this forum is to discuss general parenting issues related to children with AD/HD(ADD & ADHD)

Closed Thread

Old 12-08-17, 08:42 PM

maple17 is on a distinguished road
Re: What can primary caregivers do to accommodate ADHD temperament?

I don't understand this argument "people who have ADHD, were not born with ADHD." Maybe they weren't obviously diagnosable as infants, but given the strong genetic factor, they became who their genetic code wrote them to be.

Still not sure of how this hypersensitivity relates. The child of mine with the most sensory issues, more than his ASD sister, has no problems with emotional regulation and yet still appears to be ADD.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maple17 For This Useful Post:
namazu (12-08-17), peripatetic (12-08-17)
Old 12-08-17, 08:53 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,205 Times in 907 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by maple17 View Post
I don't understand this argument "people who have ADHD, were not born with ADHD." Maybe they weren't obviously diagnosable as infants, but given the strong genetic factor, they became who their genetic code wrote them to be.
I wrote “..ADHD temperament” in the title of this thread and everyone disagreed that we were born with ADHD.

Developmentally they are right and I was wrong.

M
Old 12-08-17, 09:03 PM

Quote:

Still not sure of how this hypersensitivity relates. The child of mine with the most sensory issues, more than his ASD sister, has no problems with emotional regulation and yet still appears to be ADD.

Do you think your child was born with ADHD?

M
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-17, 09:56 PM

maple17 is on a distinguished road

From my (albeit non-professional) understanding of ADHD/ADD, it is caused by a difference in brain structure and function. My children were born with the brains that they have. They did not experience any acquired brain injury. So, in that sense, yes, they were born the way they are, even though diagnosis came much later.

I do not agree that there is a specific "temperament" to ADHD anymore than we can pinpoint a specific profile of ASD individuals. As the saying goes, "if you've met one person on the spectrum, you've met one person on the spectrum." I've stated that both of my children are ND. One diagnosed ADHD. One likely ADD. One has more sensory issues. One has more problems with emotional regulation. It is similar to the ASD spectrum in that sense that it is so diverse and variable from person to person, but just having ADHD/ADD is not necessarily a contributor to it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maple17 For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (12-08-17), namazu (12-08-17), peripatetic (12-09-17)
Old 12-08-17, 09:59 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 20,388 Times in 10,226 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
I wrote “..ADHD temperament” in the title of this thread and everyone disagreed that we were born with ADHD.
Not exactly. Several people disagreed that we (or our children) were born with an "ADHD temperament", because ADHD is not itself a temperament.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
Caco3girl (12-12-17), maple17 (12-08-17), peripatetic (12-09-17)
Old 12-08-17, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namazu View Post
Not exactly. Several people disagreed that we (or our children) were born with an "ADHD temperament", because ADHD is not itself a temperament.
What is inborn about ADHD in your opinion?

M
Old 12-08-17, 10:25 PM

Thanked 25,722 Times in 12,001 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
From my (albeit non-professional) understanding of ADHD/ADD, it is caused by a difference in brain structure and function. My children were born with the brains that they have. They did not experience any acquired brain injury. So, in that sense, yes, they were born the way they are, even though diagnosis came much later.

I do not agree that there is a specific "temperament" to ADHD anymore than we can pinpoint a specific profile of ASD individuals. As the saying goes, "if you've met one person on the spectrum, you've met one person on the spectrum." I've stated that both of my children are ND. One diagnosed ADHD. One likely ADD. One has more sensory issues. One has more problems with emotional regulation. It is similar to the ASD spectrum in that sense that it is so diverse and variable from person to person, but just having ADHD/ADD is not necessarily a contributor to it.
It will be interesting to see more research with brain scans. I was just reading
an interview with Temple Grandin and this jumped out at me ...

Quote:
Temple Grandin is anything but neurotypical. She has eight brain scans to prove it. Her cerebellum, which controls motor coordination, is 20% smaller than that of the neurotypical brain. The left side of her brain is so long it has pinched down the region that handles short-term memory. No wonder she can't follow several steps of written directions, or pass algebra.
Like Temple, I've always been considered clumsy, had trouble following
directions, especially with more than a couple of steps, and failed algebra.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
namazu (12-08-17)
Old 12-08-17, 10:32 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 20,388 Times in 10,226 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
What is inborn about ADHD in your opinion?
That seems like a topic for a different thread.

(I don't know for sure. But since I don't believe there is only one kind of ADHD, I think the answer varies from person to person.)
Old 12-08-17, 11:25 PM

Thanked 4,205 Times in 1,562 Posts
Luvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond reputeLuvmybully has a reputation beyond repute

My youngest daughter was born with adhd. She WAS hypersensitive. To sound. Light. Chaos.

She was the youngest of 3 children. Very busy, active house.

Yes, I do think that what works for adhd children also happens to be excellent for ALL children. However, adhd children need more from their parents to thrive.

What worked for us:
As hard as it was, when she was an infant and overstimulated and screaming, we had to put her down, turn off the lights, and leave her alone. You have no idea how HARD it is to NOT go to your crying infant. But she needed that from us.

STRUCTURE. Toys are here. We eat here. You sleep here. Consistency, always.

Speak VERY plainly. Short, sweet, to the point. "Walk" "Put your doll in this bed"

Another extremely difficult thing to do: stay calm. Don't let your emotions escalate the situation.

Have REALISTIC expectations. It's not about what the typical, average kid can do. It's about what YOURS can do.

Do not put your child in situations you know they are not able to handle. Our youngest did not go to a store for 2 years. She could not handle the stimulation.

Get professional help. For your child. For YOU, as parents.

Lots of exercise, lots of exploring on their own terms. Touch/not touch textures (sticks, mud, rocks, grass, finger paint, etc...)

Very carefully pick your battles. You don't want the vast majority of your child's day spent being corrected.

Make their environment as safe as possible.

Yes, sometimes they DO need more time. More time to process what it is you want from them. More time to pull their focus away from what they are doing. More time to mentally plan HOW to do what you asked of them.

I think Mild is correct that some children with adhd have extra sensitivities, and the more negative experiences they have, the more those sensitivities are harmful.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Luvmybully For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (12-10-17), Lunacie (12-09-17), namazu (12-08-17), peripatetic (12-09-17)
Old 12-09-17, 07:26 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,950 Times in 14,766 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Lets pretend that I am a top geneticist/doctor/researcher in the field of adhd and children. If you want my opinion I think there are very clear markers or.... de`finitive differences in the brains of adhd children vs non adhd children. Does that mean that every child with those markers will develop adhd? Probably not and this is because I do believe environment can play a role. I believe even if these types of genetic differences are measurable and present at birth or in infancy, some infants can mature to a point where they become not primary or not something that will manifest itself as adhd. I think in a bad environment (whatever that would consist of) these makers can become primary and almost guarantee adhd,and I think that if a child has trauma, or exposure to neglect, drug addiction or alcohol abuse that the adhd thing is even more likely to play out. It reminds me a lot of the genetic heritability of bipolar or addiction. I have bad bipolar and only my daughter seems to have it and have it as bad if not worse then me. In fact I would be willing to say that her adhd takes a back seat to the bipolar. Yet with my son, he has issues with anxiety but the adhd has always been his issues at forefront. When I was pregnant with him I was under a lot of stress and i think that played a part. My husband and I are both adhd so I think our children have the genetics coming from both sides. If I were a betting gal, I would be willing to say 85% is genetics and 15% is environmental but a good environment doesnt mean no adhd and vice versa.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 12-09-17, 12:08 PM

Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Lets pretend that I am a top geneticist/doctor/researcher in the field of adhd and children. If you want my opinion I think there are very clear markers or.... de`finitive differences in the brains of adhd children vs non adhd children. Does that mean that every child with those markers will develop adhd? Probably not and this is because I do believe environment can play a role. I believe even if these types of genetic differences are measurable and present at birth or in infancy, some infants can mature to a point where they become not primary or not something that will manifest itself as adhd. I think in a bad environment (whatever that would consist of) these makers can become primary and almost guarantee adhd,and I think that if a child has trauma, or exposure to neglect, drug addiction or alcohol abuse that the adhd thing is even more likely to play out. It reminds me a lot of the genetic heritability of bipolar or addiction. I have bad bipolar and only my daughter seems to have it and have it as bad if not worse then me. In fact I would be willing to say that her adhd takes a back seat to the bipolar. Yet with my son, he has issues with anxiety but the adhd has always been his issues at forefront. When I was pregnant with him I was under a lot of stress and i think that played a part. My husband and I are both adhd so I think our children have the genetics coming from both sides. If I were a betting gal, I would be willing to say 85% is genetics and 15% is environmental but a good environment doesnt mean no adhd and vice versa.
While all that may be true, there are certainly cases of adhd where there was
no trauma, neglect, etc in the family situation.

I remember seeing some research showing that dads who use tobacco are
more likely to have children with autism ... but all we ever hear is that it's the
mom who uses tobacco or alcohol that leads to children with disorders.

My daughter was exposed to a lot of cigarette smoke when she was carrying
her oldest child ... adhd, anxiety, depression, but not when she was carrying
her youngest ... autism and anxiety. But in both cases the dad used snuff or
chewing tobacco (ugh!).

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 12-10-17, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post

Thanks

Where do i pay my bill?

I would like to make another appointment.

M
Old 12-10-17, 07:47 AM

If we where not born with a inborn ADHD temperament, then how could we be born with ADHD?

If we where not born with a inborn ADHD temperament then the emergence of ADHD must occur the normal critical period of the development of emotional self regulation after birth.

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 12-10-17 at 08:16 AM..
Old 12-10-17, 09:53 AM

Thanked 21,257 Times in 11,388 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

What CAN primary caregivers do to accommodate ADHD temperament?

What can parents do to help their children with ADHD?

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
Old 12-10-17, 12:04 PM

Quote:
If we where not born with a inborn ADHD temperament, then how could we be born with ADHD?

If we where not born with a inborn ADHD temperament then the emergence of ADHD must occur the normal critical period of the development of emotional self regulation after birth.

M
twisted quote from The Princess Bride ...

Quote:
mild: Aren't we born with adhd temperament?
others: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Just as some babies are born with under-developed spinal structures (spinal bifida)
and some babies are born with under-developed skulls and brains (anencephaly),
I believe that some babies are born with under-developed areas of the brain (adhd).

This doesn't seem to be related to inborn temperament. It's simply a birth defect.

Quote:
Birth Defects - KidsHealth
kidshealth.org/en/parents/birth-defects.html
If a baby is born with a part of the body that is missing or malformed, it is called a structural birth defect.
Studies have shown that parts of our brains are malformed (underdeveloped) in those with adhd.

Closed Thread