ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > ADDiction & Substance Abuse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-17, 08:05 AM
ADDvanced Member

Emcon456 is on a distinguished road
Become a non-smoker if you abuse drugs(alcohol and medication included)

Hey hows it going?

I got a DWI in December 2011 at the young age of only 18 and its on my record for the rest of my life. The crazy thing I drank and experimented with all sorts of drugs about the next 4 years(Could've got a second DWI or first DUI since sometimes I was buzzed or high in car). However I become a non-drinker Sep 2015 and so glad I did.

You knows what interesting? Have you are/were a smoker? I averaged half a pack for 8 years from 16-24 and became a non-smoker in April this year.My dad smoked 30 years before switching to e-cig 2014 and that thing didn't work for me as I'm now still addicted to the DRUG.Allen Carr's Easyway to stop smoking and Chantix is the methods I used.

Anyways. The author in the book mentioned that most alcoholics and drug addicts are also smokers. He said he was also a heavy drinker when he smoked for 33 years,however he started drinking only rarely or on special occasions and actually enjoyed it much more as a non-smoker. He went on to discuss his theory(I also believe it too thanks to him) that NICOTINE ADDICTION WILL ALMOST ALWAYS MAKE YOU EXPERIMENT AND POSSIBLY BECOME ADDICTED TO HARDER DRUGS BECAUSE NICOTINE GETS OLD FAST AND MAKES THE SMOKER WANT SOMETHING MORE AND BETTER AFTER HOWEVER THATS AFTER EXCESS CONSUMPTION OF FOOD OR ALCOHOL DOESN'T REPLACE THE WITHDRAWAL LIKE FEELING FIRST.THEY WILL GET ADDICTED TO EACH DRUG GRADUATING TO A NEW EUPHORIC DRUG WHILE ALSO SMOKE BECAUSE THEY NOW SEE SMOKING AS A 'SYNERGY BOOST' WITH WHATEVER DRUG(S) THEY'RE TAKING NOW.

Does this ring a bell to you or others that you've seen in the forum or in the world?When I quit nicotine in April I no longer consistently took higher doses of my medication.I also have no desire to experiment with street drugs or abuse prescription drugs and make it a point I never do it again because its so stupid and pointless and I can see that now in the same way as someone who's never done those things lol its embarassing and makes me guilty/****** off when I happen to think about it.However it turns into feelings of BLISS when I realize I can't do anything about my past and that I'm freaking awesome for removing these addictions to prevent myself from bad mental/physical health in my future. If I still smoked I'm positive I might still abuse my medication, drink alcohol sometimes, and experiment sometimes with psychedelic drugs or rarely cocaine.

Read the book if you smoke there are FREE PDF's online somewhere but they are older versions of the book so I'd just but the book for $14

Take care
Old 12-05-17, 09:15 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,434 Times in 14,467 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Become a non-smoker if you abuse drugs(alcohol and medication included)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcctUhd456 View Post
Hey hows it going?

I got a DWI in December 2011 at the young age of only 18 and its on my record for the rest of my life. The crazy thing I drank and experimented with all sorts of drugs about the next 4 years(Could've got a second DWI or first DUI since sometimes I was buzzed or high in car). However I become a non-drinker Sep 2015 and so glad I did.
Its a shame that the first dwi didnt shake you into full sobriety but we each learn in our own ways I guess.

Quote:
You knows what interesting? Have you are/were a smoker? I averaged half a pack for 8 years from 16-24 and became a non-smoker in April this year.My dad smoked 30 years before switching to e-cig 2014 and that thing didn't work for me as I'm now still addicted to the DRUG.Allen Carr's Easyway to stop smoking and Chantix is the methods I used.
The horrible side effects of Chantix scared the crap out of me. Im right now reading up on the science behind allen carr's method.

Quote:
Anyways. The author in the book mentioned that most alcoholics and drug addicts are also smokers. He said he was also a heavy drinker when he smoked for 33 years,however he started drinking only rarely or on special occasions and actually enjoyed it much more as a non-smoker. He went on to discuss his theory(I also believe it too thanks to him) that NICOTINE ADDICTION WILL ALMOST ALWAYS MAKE YOU EXPERIMENT AND POSSIBLY BECOME ADDICTED TO HARDER DRUGS BECAUSE NICOTINE GETS OLD FAST AND MAKES THE SMOKER WANT SOMETHING MORE AND BETTER AFTER HOWEVER THATS AFTER EXCESS CONSUMPTION OF FOOD OR ALCOHOL DOESN'T REPLACE THE WITHDRAWAL LIKE FEELING FIRST.THEY WILL GET ADDICTED TO EACH DRUG GRADUATING TO A NEW EUPHORIC DRUG WHILE ALSO SMOKE BECAUSE THEY NOW SEE SMOKING AS A 'SYNERGY BOOST' WITH WHATEVER DRUG(S) THEY'RE TAKING NOW.
No offense but this part sounds like BS. I didnt start smoking for real until my son was 2(age 22) and I have had periods of abstinence. I am an alcoholic and on 12/12 I will have 5 years sober. I didnt really launch into full on misery alcohol until 2 years before I quit, up until then I might have over done it frequently but never a daily drinker. I've never done hard drugs and never been addicted to pills. I have never desired to do hard drugs any more before or after alcoholism and being sober and still smoking does not make me want to use drugs. I fully admit I am a coward. I am an addict and am afraid that this last one thing will make me drink or go off my rocker and do something else to mood alter that is not good for me. I am also bipolar and medicated but its common to have substance use issues with this disorder. It doesnt seem like Mr carr takes these things into account if he is making the claims you posted. I do not desire something more or better because I smoke.
Do I want to quit? yes and no. Physically its horrible and even though I havent yet felt the negative affects of smoking I know there will be. I enjoy smoking and it makes me feel better. Whether thats scientific or not doesnt matter.
Quote:
Does this ring a bell to you or others that you've seen in the forum or in the world?When I quit nicotine in April I no longer consistently took higher doses of my medication.
I have never consistently taken higher doses of my medication or ever at all taken higher doses so I am not sure what you mean.

Quote:
I also have no desire to experiment with street drugs or abuse prescription drugs and make it a point I never do it again because its so stupid and pointless and I can see that now in the same way as someone who's never done those things lol its embarassing and makes me guilty/****** off when I happen to think about it.
Like I said, smoking never made me do this so its not accurate IMO.

Quote:
However it turns into feelings of BLISS when I realize I can't do anything about my past and that I'm freaking awesome for removing these addictions to prevent myself from bad mental/physical health in my future. If I still smoked I'm positive I might still abuse my medication, drink alcohol sometimes, and experiment sometimes with psychedelic drugs or rarely cocaine.
That's anecdotal.

Quote:
Read the book if you smoke there are FREE PDF's online somewhere but they are older versions of the book so I'd just but the book for $14

Take care
I am reading about the book cause anything is worth further examination.
Seriously though his ideas on addiction are majorly flawed.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
OyVeyKitty (12-09-17)
Old 12-05-17, 01:00 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 29,568 Times in 13,631 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Smoking nicotine is not a gateway drug. At all. Nicotine never gets old. That's the problem with it. I assume that most smokers who do other drugs continue smoking nicotine anyway.

Funnily enough when I smoked I drank significantly less. I didn't need or crave alcohol at all. Nicotine gave me all the fix I needed.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-17, 05:27 PM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 22,038 Times in 13,022 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute

What's a DWI?

I don't smoke anyways (can't breathe properly around smoke) nor do I do drugs or drink alcohol so don't really know much about it
Ebony (1st January 2014 - 2nd March 2018)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm

The Following User Says Thank You to midnightstar For This Useful Post:
Fraser_0762 (12-05-17)
Old 12-09-17, 07:49 AM
Mod-A-holic

sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightstar View Post
What's a DWI?

I don't smoke anyways (can't breathe properly around smoke) nor do I do drugs or drink alcohol so don't really know much about it
Driving while intoxicated sometimes called DUI driving under the influence.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 12-09-17, 01:45 PM
ADDvanced Member

OyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud of

As a former smoker and serial quitter I have naturally heard of Allen Carr's book. I read a large part of it, but found most of it was blatantly obvious with the rest being completely made up hypotheses not backed by science. In the end all the book really says is "the way to quit smoking is not to smoke again" in a very long-winded way, while also telling you why smokers are lesser people. A lot of his fans seem to have formed a cult of sorts around the book and study and quote it as if it were a holy book, it seems to take the place of a "higher power" for many people when it comes to quitting.

As much as I'm really happy it has helped people quit and keeps helping people, I also really dislike misinformation or theories with no scientific backing being spread as hard fact, because it does everyone a disservice. The specific part quoted by OP here is the famous gateway drug theory, except nicotine has taken the place of cannabis.

I would argue that the more logical viewpoint here would be to turn the cause and effect the other way around. People who are likely to abuse drugs will do so and cigarettes and alcohol are the easiest things to start with for many people. Unsurprisingly, there are a bunch of scientific studies backing this up. If you're really interested I can dig up studies, but the US Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration's numbers alone can give you a fairly good idea that the two are not linked.

You can see about 30.6% of the population have used a tobacco product in the past year, while only 2.7% of the population reported being dependent on and/or abusing drugs during that same year. You could argue that this is due to a lack of access, but then if you look at the number of people who have ever tried illicit drugs, you can also see that at least 49.2% of the population has or has had access to illicit drugs at one point or another and decided to try it. Even if we pretend that every person who is dependent on or abusing drugs is also a smoker (which is not the case), it still only means that less than 10% of the smoking population are dependent on or abuse drugs.

Unfortunately SAMHSA don't provide a lot of information on the correlation between smoking and illicit drug use, but if nicotine lead to a strong increase in risk of addiction to other substances, we should see a higher number of drug abusers.

This is nothing against you or other fans of his book, AcctUhd456, I just have a bone to pick with the author's methodology. I'm really happy it works for you, because nicotine is one heck of a thing to quit! I just think Carr could have spread the same message ("don't smoke again if you want to quit") without the wild hypotheses and unnecessary hyperbole.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OyVeyKitty For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (12-09-17), namazu (12-11-17), peripatetic (12-09-17)
Old 12-10-17, 07:01 AM
Mod-A-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyVeyKitty View Post
This is nothing against you or other fans of his book, AcctUhd456, I just have a bone to pick with the author's methodology. I'm really happy it works for you, because nicotine is one heck of a thing to quit! I just think Carr could have spread the same message ("don't smoke again if you want to quit") without the wild hypotheses and unnecessary hyperbole.
Thank you for sharing this, I tried to find legit reviews about how well this book worked and the search results were flooded with people talking about how it saved their life and was the only thing that worked. I thought it was weird that I couldnt find a negative review on the process.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
OyVeyKitty (12-10-17)
Old 12-10-17, 07:41 AM
ADDvanced Member

OyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Thank you for sharing this, I tried to find legit reviews about how well this book worked and the search results were flooded with people talking about how it saved their life and was the only thing that worked. I thought it was weird that I couldnt find a negative review on the process.
I do think it works for a lot of people. If you take his words at face value I am sure it can be a very encouraging book, but all that breaks down if you start examining his "science." There's also a whole community of fans surrounding the book that you can gain support from. So it works as long as it can be the "higher power" for people, giving them hope and support.

I also think the reason it doesn't have a lot of negative reviews boils down to one thing in particular. The subject itself, addiction. I think many people who are addicted and ready to give it up, but don't find the book helpful just move on to trying the next thing without writing a review. More subtly, but perhaps more importantly, writing a negative review would mean admitting failure where it seems everyone else succeeded. The number of positive reviews in relation to negative ones keep feeding this cycle.
Old 12-11-17, 05:22 AM
Mod-A-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyVeyKitty View Post
I do think it works for a lot of people. If you take his words at face value I am sure it can be a very encouraging book, but all that breaks down if you start examining his "science." There's also a whole community of fans surrounding the book that you can gain support from. So it works as long as it can be the "higher power" for people, giving them hope and support.

I also think the reason it doesn't have a lot of negative reviews boils down to one thing in particular. The subject itself, addiction. I think many people who are addicted and ready to give it up, but don't find the book helpful just move on to trying the next thing without writing a review. More subtly, but perhaps more importantly, writing a negative review would mean admitting failure where it seems everyone else succeeded. The number of positive reviews in relation to negative ones keep feeding this cycle.
I get what you mean. I use AA and I have seen plenty of people say its a cult and didnt work for them which is why I was curious.

I carried a watermelon?