ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > SCIENTIFIC DISCUSSIONS, RESEARCH, NEWS AND EVENTS > Scientific, Philosophical & Theoretical Discussions > Open Science & Philosophical Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Open Science & Philosophical Discussion This forum is for open discussion, encouraging new and unconventional ways of thinking, welcoming posts in any format

View Poll Results: My AD(H)D is caused by..
Genetic predisposition only. 3 50.00%
Environmental circumstances only. 0 0%
Genetic predisposition and Environmental circumstances. 3 50.00%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-18, 11:51 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 25,719 Times in 11,999 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What is inborn about ADHD in your opinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveddd View Post
The first is a reference to Barkley in another author's book. I have searched
for the source of that reference and cannot find it.

The second one, again by another author, references Barkley saying that babies
with a difficult temperament (poor sleep patterns, irritable, difficult to soothe)
often go on to be diagnosed with adhd.

Those traits describe my autistic daughter, and it's generally accepted that we
are born with autism, it doesn't develop (or fail to develop neurotypically)
because of sensitive temperament. Rather it seems that the underlying disorder
or syndrome makes the child have a difficult or sensitive temperament.

This is one of those things that can be argued on either side, but due to my
experiences with my own family and my childhood, I certainly argue that the
sensitive temperament is a result of underdevelopment in key areas of the
brain ... rather than a difficult temperament causing the brain to develop in
a way that leads to a diagnosis of a mental disorder.

As you say, there is no clear proof or general agreement at this time as to what
actually causes adhd. We can each share the scientific research that we have
based our personal opinions on. Thank you for allowing me the courtesy of
sharing my opinion and the basis for it, rather than being invalidating because
you may have a different opinion. As a woman who has lived with undiagnosed
physical and mental issues I have been invalidated my whole life. No more.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
aeon (03-21-18), daveddd (03-03-18)
Old 03-03-18, 11:59 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,945 Times in 14,763 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
I have always said I think it is nature and nurture. (genetic does not always mean genetic predisposition)
M
What do you mean by this? Genetic does mean genetic predisposition.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 03-03-18, 12:37 PM

Thanked 1,203 Times in 905 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
What do you mean by this? Genetic does mean genetic predisposition.
There are always environmental factors and genetic factors involved in the development self regulation, in all people.

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 03-03-18 at 12:48 PM.. Reason: Edit for clarity
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-18, 01:16 PM

Thanked 11,251 Times in 5,495 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
The first is a reference to Barkley in another author's book. I have searched
for the source of that reference and cannot find it.

The second one, again by another author, references Barkley saying that babies
with a difficult temperament (poor sleep patterns, irritable, difficult to soothe)
often go on to be diagnosed with adhd.

Those traits describe my autistic daughter, and it's generally accepted that we
are born with autism, it doesn't develop (or fail to develop neurotypically)
because of sensitive temperament. Rather it seems that the underlying disorder
or syndrome makes the child have a difficult or sensitive temperament.

This is one of those things that can be argued on either side, but due to my
experiences with my own family and my childhood, I certainly argue that the
sensitive temperament is a result of underdevelopment in key areas of the
brain ... rather than a difficult temperament causing the brain to develop in
a way that leads to a diagnosis of a mental disorder.

As you say, there is no clear proof or general agreement at this time as to what
actually causes adhd. We can each share the scientific research that we have
based our personal opinions on. Thank you for allowing me the courtesy of
sharing my opinion and the basis for it, rather than being invalidating because
you may have a different opinion. As a woman who has lived with undiagnosed
physical and mental issues I have been invalidated my whole life. No more.
Yea I honestly am not saying something is a cause It could just be the way a baby presents with adhd. Just seems like it’s possible the inborn part of adhd has some type of irritability from the get go

The interference with self regulation can possibly cause some of the secondary issues seen in adhd. Those can be important as well
Old 03-03-18, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Yea I honestly am not saying something is a cause It could just be the way a baby presents with adhd. Just seems like it’s possible the inborn part of adhd has some type of irritability from the get go

The interference with self regulation can possibly cause some of the secondary issues seen in adhd. Those can be important as well
I do not think a baby has deficits of cognitive self regulation at birth.

Because cognitive self regulation is not developed yet.

I do think a baby could have moods disorder like anxiety, irritability and depression in early infancy/toddlerhood, that may distress development of cognitive self regulation resulting in emergence of ADHD, in childhood.

In other words AD(H)D could be at least partially caused by inborn mood dysregulation, prior to the development of cognitive self regulation.

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 03-03-18 at 02:17 PM..
Old 03-03-18, 02:29 PM
Mod-A-holic

sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
There are always environmental factors and genetic factors involved in the development self regulation, in all people.

M
Yes but you said genetic doesnt always mean genetic predispostion. What else do you mean?

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (03-03-18)
Old 03-03-18, 03:31 PM

daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I do not think a baby has deficits of cognitive self regulation at birth.

Because cognitive self regulation is not developed yet.

I do think a baby could have moods disorder like anxiety, irritability and depression in early infancy/toddlerhood, that may distress development of cognitive self regulation resulting in emergence of ADHD, in childhood.

In other words AD(H)D could be at least partially caused by inborn mood dysregulation, prior to the development of cognitive self regulation.

M
yea, i didnt mention cognitive self regulation

the irritable infant temperament has been mentioned in disorders of self regulation long before ADHD was considered a disorder of self regulation

it has never been claimed the the irritable temperament was do to cognitive self regulation , at this point you'd be getting into heart rate and vagal tone regulation
Old 03-03-18, 03:41 PM

Can J Physiol Pharmacol. 2016 Jun;94(6):579-87. doi: 10.1139/cjpp-2015-0375. Epub 2015 Dec 18.
Symbolic dynamics of heart rate variability - a promising tool to investigate cardiac sympathovagal control in attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)?

Tonhajzerova I1, Farsky I2, Mestanik M1, Visnovcova Z1, Mestanikova A1, Hrtanek I3, Ondrejka I3.
Author information
Abstract
We aimed to evaluate complex cardiac sympathovagal control in attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) by using heart rate variability (HRV) nonlinear analysis - symbolic dynamics. We examined 29 boys with untreated ADHD and 25 healthy boys (age 8-13 years). ADHD symptoms were evaluated by ADHD-RS-IV scale. ECG was recorded in 3 positions: baseline supine position, orthostasis, and clinostasis. Symbolic dynamics indices were used for the assessment of complex cardiac sympathovagal regulation: normalised complexity index (NCI), normalised unpredictability index (NUPI), and pattern classification measures (0V%, 1V%, 2LV%, 2UV%). The results showed that HRV complexity was significantly reduced at rest (NUPI) and during standing position (NCI, NUPI) in ADHD group compared to controls. Cardiac-linked sympathetic index 0V% was significantly higher during all posture positions and cardiovagal index 2LV% was significantly lower to standing in boys suffering from ADHD. Importantly, ADHD symptom inattention positively correlated with 0V%, and negatively correlated with NCI, NUPI. Concluding, symbolic dynamics revealed impaired complex neurocardiac control characterised by potential cardiac beta-adrenergic overactivity and vagal deficiency at rest and to posture changes in boys suffering from ADHD that is correlated with inattention. We suggest that symbolic dynamics indices could represent promising cardiac biomarkers in ADHD.
Old 03-03-18, 06:46 PM

Quote:
yea, i didnt mention cognitive self regulation

the irritable infant temperament has been mentioned in disorders of self regulation long before ADHD was considered a disorder of self regulation

it has never been claimed the the irritable temperament was do to cognitive self regulation , at this point you'd be getting into heart rate and vagal tone regulation

Fight (irritable) or Flight/Freeze (anxious) response systems

M
Old 03-04-18, 05:19 AM

Quote:
..the effectiveness of the social engagement system to down regulate fight/flight behaviors requires practice.

This practice may start early in a child’s development through play..

http://cx-services.com/htx12/rrn16.p...df&p2=download

M
Old 03-04-18, 02:19 PM
Mod-A-holic

I didnt know that Mate had his roots in addiction.

Quote:
Rather than expand our understanding of addiction, his views harm our ability to respond to it. For one thing, focusing solely on one risk factor and one very questionable source of addiction has led Maté to posit a potential ‘cure' for addiction -- Ayahuasca -- a brew made from South-American "spirit-vine" that is claimed to open the human conscious for a higher degree of introspection. In fact, Maté's reliance on this treatment further confuses levels of analysis -- does introspection really remedy the absence of neuro-receptors in some straightforward manner?

In this context, that harm reductionists embrace Maté is extremely troubling. For, contrary to popular beliefs in these circles, Maté is actually diverting the addiction field from a more comprehensive and practicable view of addiction. Maté's embrace of Ayahuasca does not support the broad harm reduction goals of expanding the resources available to people with addictions like those in Vancouver, of developing their skills for functioning in their worlds, and of holding up the hope that they can improve their lives. Instead, this approach is reductive, monosyllabic, and really no different than the disease camp's fool's gold quest for an addiction vaccine in the forlorn hope that we can remedy addiction without improving human lives.

A true harm reductionist should accept a wide range of contributors in the development of addiction, but particularly those that human agency -- and particularly the person who is addicted him or herself -- can address and improve. Without this sense, we are lost.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 03-04-18, 02:41 PM

Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

M
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Yes but you said genetic doesnt always mean genetic predispostion. What else do you mean?
This hasn't been answered yet and I'm curious as well.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 03-04-18, 02:47 PM

Thanked 10,182 Times in 3,202 Posts
mctavish23 has disabled reputation

ADHD is primarily genetic in nature, although it can also be "acquired;" largely

by Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) (approximately 20%).

Hope that helps some.

tc

Robert
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mctavish23 For This Useful Post:
aeon (03-04-18), Little Missy (03-04-18)
Old 03-04-18, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mctavish23 View Post
ADHD is primarily genetic in nature..
I respectfully disagree.

I think...

Healthy development of affective motivation/affective regulation requires external environmental support from at least one consistent full time primary caregiver, especially in the earlier years life.

Emotional hypersensitivity is what is epigenetically inherited.

AD(H)D is the result of an epigenetically inherited emotionally hypersensitive temperament interfering with healthy development of affective motivation/affective regulation if chronically emotionally distressed, in turn negatively effecting the development of cognitive motivation/cognitive regulation.

Promoting development of affective motivation/affective regulation by reducing chronic emotional distresses, will promote the development of cognitive motivation/cognitive regulation.

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 03-04-18 at 11:46 PM..
Old 03-05-18, 12:18 AM

Quote:
I respectfully disagree.

I think...

Healthy development of affective motivation/affective regulation requires external environmental support from at least one consistent full time primary caregiver, especially in the earlier years life.

Emotional hypersensitivity is what is epigenetically inherited.

AD(H)D is the result of an epigenetically inherited emotionally hypersensitive temperament interfering with healthy development of affective motivation/affective regulation if chronically emotionally distressed, in turn negatively effecting the development of cognitive motivation/cognitive regulation.

Promoting development of affective motivation/affective regulation by reducing chronic emotional distresses, will promote the development of cognitive motivation/cognitive regulation.

M
Would it be possible for us to simply disagree and let us have our opinions
without posting thread after thread after thread where you try to convince
us to agree with your opinion?

If you see something new that's interesting to you, share away, but please
don't get upset if no one else embraces it unquestioningly. Please?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
aeon (03-21-18), daveddd (03-05-18), mctavish23 (03-30-18)
Closed Thread