ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > SCIENTIFIC DISCUSSIONS, RESEARCH, NEWS AND EVENTS > Scientific, Philosophical & Theoretical Discussions > Open Science & Philosophical Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Open Science & Philosophical Discussion This forum is for open discussion, encouraging new and unconventional ways of thinking, welcoming posts in any format

View Poll Results: My AD(H)D is caused by..
Genetic predisposition only. 3 50.00%
Environmental circumstances only. 0 0%
Genetic predisposition and Environmental circumstances. 3 50.00%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-18, 12:29 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,211 Times in 913 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation
Re: What is inborn about ADHD in your opinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeClutter View Post
(Early) Childhood and current life circumstances can either have a soothing influence or act as a multiplier to the genetic disposition.

Especially when a child starts with a disadvantage (genetic or neurological), its important that it grows up in a stable home where it is properly nurtured and learns to regulate its own emotions and behaviour, accept or set boundaries and define and approach its goals, including self-care.

In neurotypicals any big violations on these points already can have a devastating effect, but in the case where there is a predisposition to develop ADD, the effect of these violations will grow perhaps exponentially.

The child will be less equiped to process the Traumas it endures while at the same time be more sensitive to them. The tendency to seek out external stimuli to compensate for internal understimulation could probably be enhanced that way, and later on increase the likelyhood of addictions and all sorts of compensatory copingmechanisms.
Thanks Declutter,

I agree, I meant to reply earlier.

I think in some cases the inherited epigenetic predisposition could also be partly due to the early emotional environmental distresses/traumas their grandparents and greatgrandparents experienced.

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 03-05-18 at 12:41 PM..
Old 03-05-18, 04:46 PM

Thanked 11,251 Times in 5,495 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
Would it be possible for us to simply disagree and let us have our opinions
without posting thread after thread after thread where you try to convince
us to agree with your opinion?

If you see something new that's interesting to you, share away, but please
don't get upset if no one else embraces it unquestioningly. Please?
yea, do you have more on attunement and ADHD

im at least somewhat familiar with every model of mental illness

and i believe there is a huge gap from when

A. adult adhd was accepted

B. adhd was considered as a disorder of self regulation

before that there is mountains of good literature on self regulation, and to think its all useless now just cause we call it ADHD now makes no sense

so, watcha got?
Old 03-05-18, 05:02 PM

Thanked 25,734 Times in 12,011 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post

I have always said I think it is nature and nurture. (genetic does not always mean genetic predisposition)

M
Sarah asked you to explain what you meant here ^ and I am curious as well.
Could you please explain what you meant?

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-18, 05:45 AM
Jr Member

Robertpaulsen will become famous soon enough

The most striking feature to me is an altered subjective sense of time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robertpaulsen For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (03-19-18), Lunacie (03-19-18)
Old 03-19-18, 01:34 PM

Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertpaulsen View Post
Dr. Barkley talks about this problem. He calls it "Time Blindness."

Our internal clocks do not run properly.

I also see this in my autistic granddaughter. She is 16 but her internal clock
pretty much only has last week, this week and next week. Her dad died 2 years
ago, but when she talks about it she talks in terms of last week. She and her
mom are going to Disney in June, but she is looking forward to going next week.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 03-19-18, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertpaulsen View Post
Very interesting point!

I do not think anyone is born with a sense of time.

Like neocortical regulation (or lack of), and our sense of time develops after birth.

In other words AD(H)D and our sense of time, are not inborn.

M
Old 03-19-18, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Very interesting point!

I do not think anyone is born with a sense of time.

Like neocortical regulation (or lack of), and our sense of time develops after birth.

In other words AD(H)D and our sense of time, are not inborn.

M
I think all the executive functions are inborn, but develop slowly over time.
Like having muscles at birth, our control of them develops slowly over time.

Color blindness is genetic, inherited, always there but not apparent until the
child is taught the different colors and cannot distinguish all of them clearly.

ADHD is genetic, inherited, always there but not apparent until the delay in
development lags far enough behind typically developing children in comparison.

Old 03-19-18, 02:14 PM

Thanked 21,264 Times in 11,393 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely picking your nose and wiping it underneath the coffee table.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
aeon (03-21-18)
Old 03-19-18, 02:52 PM

Quote:
I think all the executive functions are inborn, but develop slowly over time.
Like having muscles at birth, our control of them develops slowly over time.

Color blindness is genetic, inherited, always there but not apparent until the
child is taught the different colors and cannot distinguish all of them clearly.

ADHD is genetic, inherited, always there but not apparent until the delay in
development lags far enough behind typically developing children in comparison.
There are at least two factors involved in the development of eyesight, genetic factor and environmental.

Example

If a person is not exposed to the right light, their eye sight will not develop properly.

Not arguing against genetic factors, only including other essential environmental factors.

Same goes for neocortical regulation. (Genes and environment)

Extremely important in regards to early intervention/treatment/prevention/lessening of severity of AD(H)D.

M
Old 03-19-18, 03:58 PM

Quote:
There are at least two factors involved in the development of eyesight, genetic factor and environmental.

Example

If a person is not exposed to the right light, their eye sight will not develop properly.

Not arguing against genetic factors, only including other essential environmental factors.

Same goes for neocortical regulation. (Genes and environment)

Extremely important in regards to early intervention/treatment/prevention/lessening of severity of AD(H)D.

M
Okay, using the issue of color blindness . . . does that develop because some
children are exposed to different kinds of light as infants? . . . or fail to develop
because some kind of light is missing from the infant's environment?

Old 03-19-18, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Okay, using the issue of color blindness . . . does that develop because some
children are exposed to different kinds of light as infants? . . . or fail to develop
because some kind of light is missing from the infant's environment?

I am discussing about neocortical regulation and time blindness (sense of time) (executive functions) and also how eyesight normally develops, in interaction with the environment.

I do not know if color blindness involves environment or not, but sense of time does.

I know dr Barkley does not think neocortical executive functions develops in interaction with the environment, but there other expert researchers that say neocortical executive functions do develop interaction with the environment.

M
Old 03-19-18, 04:55 PM

Quote:
I am discussing about neocortical regulation and time blindness (sense of time) (executive functions) and also how eyesight normally develops, in interaction with the environment.

I do not know if color blindness involves environment or not, but sense of time does.

I know dr Barkley does not think neocortical executive functions develops in interaction with the environment, but there other expert researchers that say neocortical executive functions do develop interaction with the environment.

M
I do agree that time sense and eyesight typically develop in interaction with
the environment . . . . . . . . UNLESS something is wonky in the brain's wiring
(double or missing DNA strands) and the brain cannot develop typically even
in a supportive environment.

If you don't start out with the right building blocks, then any structure is going
to be flawed and unstable no matter what environment it is built in.

Example: concrete needs the right bonding agent and the right amount of time
to 'set up' properly, and it needs the right amount of moisture. But if the right
bonding agent isn't used, how well the slurry is mixed or whether it's poured at
the right point of mixing, or whether supports are in place or missing cannot
compensate for the missing bonding agent.

IF you have the right ingredients, mix them the right way, have the right timing,
but don't provide the right structure . . . you can end up with a mess. In other
words, the environment does matter, but what matters even more is whether
you start with the right tools for the job.

(reading a home repair mystery so this example is what popped into my head)

Old 03-19-18, 05:53 PM

Quote:
I do agree that time sense and eyesight typically develop in interaction with
the environment . . . . . . . . UNLESS something is wonky in the brain's wiring
(double or missing DNA strands) and the brain cannot develop typically even
in a supportive environment.

If you don't start out with the right building blocks, then any structure is going
to be flawed and unstable no matter what environment it is built in.

Example: concrete needs the right bonding agent and the right amount of time
to 'set up' properly, and it needs the right amount of moisture. But if the right
bonding agent isn't used, how well the slurry is mixed or whether it's poured at
the right point of mixing, or whether supports are in place or missing cannot
compensate for the missing bonding agent.

IF you have the right ingredients, mix them the right way, have the right timing,
but don't provide the right structure . . . you can end up with a mess. In other
words, the environment does matter, but what matters even more is whether
you start with the right tools for the job.

(reading a home repair mystery so this example is what popped into my head)
I think the specifics depend on the individual.

Some people may have a stronger genetic predisposition and other people may have a stronger environmental factors.

In other words different ratios of both, depending on inherited genetic factors and experienced environmental factors.

And I think it would be a huge accomplishment if everyone gave that respect to each other in regards to both factors involved.

M
Old 03-19-18, 06:21 PM

Quote:
I think the specifics depend on the individual.

Some people may have a stronger genetic predisposition and other people may have a stronger environmental factors.

In other words different ratios of both, depending on inherited genetic factors and experienced environmental factors.

And I think it would be a huge accomplishment if everyone gave that respect to each other in regards to both factors involved.

M
mild, I explained that I do think the environment plays a part in development.

I also explained when and why I don't think it makes as much of a difference
as genetic factors.

There is no disrespect intended simply because I don't agree with you entirely.

Old 03-19-18, 06:22 PM

Quote:
mild, I explained that I do think the environment plays a part in development.

I also explained when and why I don't think it makes as much of a difference
as genetic factors.

There is no disrespect intended simply because I don't agree with you entirely.

It depends on the individual temperament and individual factors.

If you were focusing on origins your AD(H)D, I would agree with you entirely.

Why would you not give me the same respect about origins of my AD(H)D?

M