ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Primary & Secondary Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Primary & Secondary Education This forum is for parents to discuss issues related to their children's education and AD/HD.

Old 12-13-17, 04:29 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Caco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud of
Is it just easier in lower grades to get an IEP?

The abbreviated version of my sons story is that I knew something was not right in 3rd grade, brought it up to the school and got hushed. Again in 5th grade and 7th grade, same result. Finally in 8th grade a mom at a baseball park told me to say "I want my child formally tested for a learning disorder" and the world changed. He was tested, ADHD was controlling him, and he couldn't function in school and succeed without help.

From then the school tried behavior charts, goal oriented charts, check in people, a 504...etc....this went on for more than a year until Christmas of 9th grade thy finally gave him an IEP and allowed him into Co-taught classes starting in January. The difference has been wonderful and it has worked well for him.

My daughter is 8 and in third grade. Last year I started hearing from teachers that she wouldn't sit still long enough to teach her. That she was overly talkative and wouldn't stay on task, that while she was nice she was a disruption. I was mentioning it to the Dr. I take my son to and she was pretty quick to say yes she has ADHD, I've seen her a few times with your son now and she's been symptomatic every time, and poof we have an ADHD diagnoses.

Okay, started meds, she's been on them this whole school year. In August I was told in 3rd grade they only give 20 minutes of extra reading help, and last year she had 2 hours a day. So I said my favorite words in the world "I want my child formally tested for a learning disorder." Testing came back, shes behind, she's all over the place in her testing and there are deficits. This time I said IEP and they pretty much just said "Ok, we will have to have some formal meetings but I don't see it being a problem, she will be under OHI."

REALLY? That's it? I fought for more than a year and had to do 4 crazy plans for my then 8th grader but for my 8 year old it was OK, SURE, and no crazy plans to try first?

Is it just easier with younger kids to get an IEP?
Old 12-13-17, 04:32 PM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 22,041 Times in 13,025 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is it just easier in lower grades to get an IEP?

Maybe it's because your older child was already diagnosed with a learning difficulty so the school thought "one has it, the same thing might work for both kids"? Not sure.
Ebony (1st January 2014 - 2nd March 2018)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm

The Following User Says Thank You to midnightstar For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (12-13-17)
Old 12-13-17, 07:58 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,456 Times in 14,482 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

They knew they were battling some brass ovaries and werent going to screw with you.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
aeon (12-19-17), Caco3girl (12-14-17), Lunacie (12-13-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-17, 08:53 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Caco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
They knew they were battling some brass ovaries and werent going to screw with you.
LOL!
Old 12-18-17, 03:49 PM

hope316 is on a distinguished road

I don't think it is necessarily easier to get a plan in place for a second or third -born child, I just bet you have become a lot more educated in how to parent a special kiddo- Kudos to you! Maybe you can share your experiences with other parents going down this confusing (and at times lonely) road? Go, Mama!
Old 12-19-17, 08:49 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hope316 View Post
I don't think it is necessarily easier to get a plan in place for a second or third -born child, I just bet you have become a lot more educated in how to parent a special kiddo- Kudos to you! Maybe you can share your experiences with other parents going down this confusing (and at times lonely) road? Go, Mama!
I try to post on here as much as I can. I also have answered a few private messages. Anyone is free to contact me.