ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Primary & Secondary Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Primary & Secondary Education This forum is for parents to discuss issues related to their children's education and AD/HD.

Old 01-03-18, 08:37 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Caco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to all
Re: Newly diagnosed 11 year old

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerSan View Post
The school may not be able to test for dysgraphia, but they should be able to assess for writing and reading fluency, both of which have the ability to impact learning in the school environment. It is difficult but not impossible to get an IEP for ADHD.
I've received an IEP for ADHD for both my kids under the OHI (Otherwise Health impaired) clause of the IEP rules.

I wish Dihard would give us an update
Old 01-05-18, 08:43 PM
Jr Member

dihard is on a distinguished road

I have been updating . I just got home from the meeting for his 504 accommodations. I am so angry right now. It was me, the counselor, my son, the math teacher (the one who is so awful), and 2 other teachers.

Quick catch up... This week, my son said to his math teacher "I don't understand", she said "of course you don't". I sent an email to her asking why and if there was a misunderstanding. No reply... I asked again. She replied with "I started an email but did not finish". That is not an answer so I involved the principal... On to the meeting...

The first thing out of her mouth was "there is no point to this, this is asinine". The counselor started mentioning accommodations like sitting in the front. The others already had him in the front. I asked where he was sitting in math and of course it was the back corner and she found every excuse not to move him. She found an excuse to avoid all of the accommodations and would not agree to anything.

I am ******
Old 01-12-18, 04:00 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Caco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by dihard View Post
I have been updating . I just got home from the meeting for his 504 accommodations. I am so angry right now. It was me, the counselor, my son, the math teacher (the one who is so awful), and 2 other teachers.

Quick catch up... This week, my son said to his math teacher "I don't understand", she said "of course you don't". I sent an email to her asking why and if there was a misunderstanding. No reply... I asked again. She replied with "I started an email but did not finish". That is not an answer so I involved the principal... On to the meeting...

The first thing out of her mouth was "there is no point to this, this is asinine". The counselor started mentioning accommodations like sitting in the front. The others already had him in the front. I asked where he was sitting in math and of course it was the back corner and she found every excuse not to move him. She found an excuse to avoid all of the accommodations and would not agree to anything.

I am ******
A friend of mine says "IEP's are an actual law, 504's are requests."...she's a teacher.

504 only covers ADHD kids under the Americans with disabilities act. It's not prosecutable like they are denying a special education kid his right to learn with his accommodations, that's an IEP.

It sounds like the best thing you can do is ask for him to be moved out of that womans math class.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-18, 05:57 PM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

Thanked 18,930 Times in 9,399 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caco3girl View Post
A friend of mine says "IEP's are an actual law, 504's are requests."...she's a teacher.

504 only covers ADHD kids under the Americans with disabilities act. It's not prosecutable like they are denying a special education kid his right to learn with his accommodations, that's an IEP.
I am not a lawyer, but I believe that your friend is incorrect. Hers may be an unfortunately common misconception -- especially worrisome if it's widespread among teachers.

Section 504 (of the Rehabilitation Act of 1974) is a civil rights statute separate from the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act of 1990 (IDEA -- where IEPs come in) is also separate from the ADA.

IEPs often cover special educational services and modifications to curriculum beyond the accommodations covered under Section 504. More info on Section 504 can be found here: https://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/504faq.html

But denying reasonable accommodations to a student under Section 504 is also a violation of U.S. civil rights law, and one that can (in theory) be legally actionable. You shouldn't need an IEP to enforce agreed-upon accommodations. (That said, it may be easier with an IEP.)

As ginniebean said above, put everything in writing.

I would follow up with the school in writing (by e-mail and/or registered letter). State what you (and apparently the counselor) feel are the reasonable accommodations your son needs to succeed in school (including sitting in the front of the room).

I don't have great ideas for handling the nasty math teacher, but I agree that if he can switch to a different section with a different teacher, that might be better than trying to drag her into compliance while your son's learning (and attitude) suffers in her class. It sounds like the guidance counselor was on your son's side and recommended the seating accommodation. Can you speak with her privately and see if she has any ideas (or could facilitate a section change, if nothing else)?

I'm not sure I'd raise the specter of legal action yet, but hinting at the possibility does have a way of getting school districts to change their tune in some cases...

Last edited by namazu; 01-12-18 at 06:32 PM.. Reason: Made correction, added disclaimer, & added link to ed.gov site.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
aeon (01-13-18), dihard (01-15-18)
Old 01-13-18, 12:39 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 13,293 Times in 5,925 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

I absolutely second namazu's recommendation of registered/(certified) mail.

It's not just a paper trail...it's a legal trail with 3rd-party validation under the process of discovery, should it come to that.

Take notes, and names and dates. Be vigilant.

They will wait for, and look for, you to slip. Don't give them that pleasure, but by all means, give them your best.

You taking notes and them having to sign for mail will certainly get their attention.

They may get thoughts about the cost of a fight, and those will be second thoughts.

Cheers,
Ian
namazu (01-15-18)
Old 01-14-18, 07:01 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,855 Times in 13,571 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Call and and request a formal eval from the school for special education services. That part is the courtesy. Then write formally that you want(are demanding) one and use some quotes from PRISE and wrightslaw dot com and send it certified return receipt to the office of special services (or child study team, disabilities, whatever your school calls it) also send one to the principal. By law they have 60 days I believe to either get it down or maybe its just respond, I cant remember. You have the right to request a different counsleor or no counselor be present when you go over the results because you should at that point be meeting with the school psychologist, educational consultant, special ed monitor and maybe some teachers. In the mean time request a one on one with the principal about his math teacher or maybe just you, the principal and the math teacher and square the attitude away. I hired a child advocate once until I learned the ropes and she knew the laws inside and out and never had a problem after that.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
dihard (01-15-18), namazu (01-15-18)
Old 01-15-18, 01:59 PM
Jr Member

I was able to get my son out of the math class and with a new teacher. She was just awful. His newest grades are posted and he is missing 95 assignments and failing all classes except for one where he has a D.
I asked the counselor about the dysgraphia and was told that this would need to be handled outside of school. I was told the same thing when I asked about ADD. I just don't understand why the counselor would flat out lie. I spoke with someone at the Learning Disabilities Association of WA and she told me to send a letter also.
His counselor is convinced that my son is only struggling because of the changes into middle school.
I am going to send the letter this week. Even if he is behind only because of the changes I need to be proactive and not let him fall further behind.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dihard For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (01-15-18), namazu (01-15-18)
Old 01-16-18, 12:30 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dihard View Post
I was able to get my son out of the math class and with a new teacher. She was just awful. His newest grades are posted and he is missing 95 assignments and failing all classes except for one where he has a D.
I asked the counselor about the dysgraphia and was told that this would need to be handled outside of school. I was told the same thing when I asked about ADD. I just don't understand why the counselor would flat out lie. I spoke with someone at the Learning Disabilities Association of WA and she told me to send a letter also.
His counselor is convinced that my son is only struggling because of the changes into middle school.
I am going to send the letter this week. Even if he is behind only because of the changes I need to be proactive and not let him fall further behind.
I really don't miss these days of the school only doing the bare minimum while my kid failed.

Didn't they say he was being denied an IEP because he wasn't failing? Well...might want to update them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caco3girl For This Useful Post:
dihard (01-16-18), namazu (01-16-18)
Old 01-16-18, 08:48 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caco3girl View Post
Didn't they say he was being denied an IEP because he wasn't failing? Well...might want to update them.
Yes!!!! That is exactly what they said. I sent the letter today to the principal, psychologist, counselor, and director of special education. Hopefully this will not take too long .

I have been looking more into dysgraphia and it fits my son perfectly. He has lateral dominance, he cannot tie his shoes or use buttons or zippers, he has always had very poor handwriting and refused to write stories. I wish a teacher would have noticed this earlier.
The Following User Says Thank You to dihard For This Useful Post:
namazu (Today)
Old Yesterday, 12:47 PM
Jr Member

Update: the counselor has reached out and will contact me on Monday to discuss the evaluation process. I am so happy that I decided to go ahead with this and so happy that they did not deny me.
The Following User Says Thank You to dihard For This Useful Post:
namazu (Today)