ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Dexedrine/Dextrostat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Dexedrine/Dextrostat (dextroamphetamine)

Old 12-19-17, 04:16 AM

caADHD is on a distinguished road
Medication trials

Hi there
I got diagnosed in the last few months and I am 25 now. Apparently I had good social skills, remained very active, had no behavioural issues and found good strategies that meant that teachers followed up assessment past more than a suggestion.

I never thought I had ADHD until a friend made some characteristics apparent to me. I went to the GP who agreed, and then diagnosed by the doctor. Her prescribed me dextroamphetamine.

He told me to play around with the dosages and find what worked. He initially said 2 and 2 each day as a starting point. He was very kind and sweet and joked that I might find myself on 4/5 twice a day. (Each tablet being 5mg)

As the weeks went I tried several combinations, twice daily.
2 and 2, and I did not notice anything. I tried this for a few days.
Then I tried 3 and 2, and still felt nothing different and noticed no change in symptoms.
For some time I was taking 3 and 3 and noticed I could sit for a whole board game, which was new to me! But still no other changes.
As a test I tried 3 and 4, and on 4 I felt a little bit calmer.
So I stuck with 4 and 4 for awhile.
The other day I tried 4 and 5, and on the 5 I felt slightly more calm than before, but still was restless and inattentive, but I appeared to LOOK more focused.
5 and 5 is the most comfortable dose I have tried thus far, and I feel more relaxed and able to complete activities more

I was not expecting to get diagnosed at all...I am still in mild denial about it.
I was hoping the Medication would prove otherwise.

Even my friend was surprised at the low effects of 5 in one go as she said that she has very strong effects if she goes over 3 and 4.

Excuse my ignorance, this is very new to me.
I was expecting bad effects at this high dose.
5 and 5 (5mg each) is far more than I thought, mind you the doctor hinted to it.
Is there any reason that any one knows of that would mean I am not having significant effects? To me this seems like a high dosage. Or does that just mean that my symptoms were very servere.

Nah in put about what people found when finding the right does would be helpful.

I of course will ask my doctor when I see him in a couple of weeks.

Thanks
Old 12-19-17, 08:39 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 14,545 Times in 6,493 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Medication trials

It has nothing to do with symptom severity, and everything to do with response and metabolism.

By your measuring system, I take 6 and 6.

Cheers,
Ian
Old 12-22-17, 04:14 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,462 Times in 14,484 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Medication trials

Quote:
He told me to play around with the dosages and find what worked. He initially said 2 and 2 each day as a starting point. He was very kind and sweet and joked that I might find myself on 4/5 twice a day. (Each tablet being 5mg)

As the weeks went I tried several combinations, twice daily.
2 and 2, and I did not notice anything. I tried this for a few days.
Then I tried 3 and 2, and still felt nothing different and noticed no change in symptoms.
For some time I was taking 3 and 3 and noticed I could sit for a whole board game, which was new to me! But still no other changes.
As a test I tried 3 and 4, and on 4 I felt a little bit calmer.
So I stuck with 4 and 4 for awhile.
The other day I tried 4 and 5, and on the 5 I felt slightly more calm than before, but still was restless and inattentive, but I appeared to LOOK more focused.
5 and 5 is the most comfortable dose I have tried thus far, and I feel more relaxed and able to complete activities more
If each pill is 5mg do you mean when you say 2/2 or 5 and 5 that you are really talking about 5 5mg pills?So 25mg? Is 30mg the max you are allowed to take?

Quote:
Is there any reason that any one knows of that would mean I am not having significant effects? To me this seems like a high dosage. Or does that just mean that my symptoms were very servere.

Nah in put about what people found when finding the right does would be helpful.

I of course will ask my doctor when I see him in a couple of weeks.

Thanks
it could just be the wrong med or dose. Its not about how high of a dose you are on. Severe symptoms do not respond better to higher doses anymore than they do do lower doses its about the right dose and med for your adhd. Maybe you need adderall.

I carried a watermelon?
Sponsored Links