ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Relationships & Social Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Relationships & Social Issues This forum is for adults with AD/HD to discuss how AD/HD affects personal relationships.

Old 12-25-17, 05:07 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,474 Times in 3,091 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: No friends at 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc01 View Post
I think we all have needs unfortunately. We need food. We need shelter when weather is too harsh. And its hard to imagine a human who doesn't need some companionship without suffering some psychological issues or dying an earlier death. Maybe I'm wrong about that don't know.

I think I agree with everything else you said.

It doesn't matter but wanted to correct that I should have said I have 4 friends, one online one met on this forum. I actually share more with him than anyone but haven't met him irl as he lives on the opposite side of the world.

I made 3 of these friends within the last couple years. We can always change our lives at any moment. Though I'll have to say, I do find it much harder to feel a closer connection the older I get.
I agree that all men have essentials such as sleeping and eating. However, a man that "needs" attention, will go chasing after attention. Those who actively chase after attention, will only push attention away from them.

When it comes to relationships you generally have a choice. You can either take the position of the chaser and actively push people away when they sense your desperation, or you can take the position of the chasee and be a magnet for the chasers.

I suppose it's a bit like hunting. You can expense so much energy chasing after the pray and it's likely that it's still going to get away from you in the end. Or you can relax and wait for the pray to come to you.

Now obviously i'm not suggesting that people are "pray". But the same kind of psychology can still be applied in social situation. Make your presence felt, but don't push it on people. The more relaxed people feel around you and the less pressure they sense, the more they're going to be drawn towards you.
Old 12-25-17, 07:00 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,000 Times in 14,796 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser_0762 View Post
It's that word "need". Men should never "need". We all have desires, but if we wish to fulfill those desires, then we must also be prepared to make changes and sacrifices.

If you don't have any friends, then it's not everybody else, it's you. If you desire friends, then you need to look at yourself and ask yourself what you're willing to change about yourself in order to welcome more friends into your life.
When people(especially men) say they shouldnt have "needs" involving other people it makes me think that they are scared to be vunerable and that they have been hurt badly in the past so the easier softer way is to say that not needing people is the real idea. I agree with you about change. The OP is going to have to change something, anything about himself because what he is doing now isnt working-for whatever reason.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
CharlesH (12-27-17)
Old 12-25-17, 07:03 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,000 Times in 14,796 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I agree that all men have essentials such as sleeping and eating. However, a man that "needs" attention, will go chasing after attention. Those who actively chase after attention, will only push attention away from them.
I agree with you but having a need for some kind of intimacy with another human being is not attention seeking. But yes, trying so hard that its obvious can be a turn off.
Quote:
When it comes to relationships you generally have a choice. You can either take the position of the chaser and actively push people away when they sense your desperation, or you can take the position of the chasee and be a magnet for the chasers.
I dont know about this either. I was a chaser BUT I also attracted chasers's and I take "social butterfly" to the extreme. I have a few diehard friends and tons and tons of friends and aquaintances. I run into one of these people at least once a week.

I carried a watermelon?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-17, 02:25 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Quote:
It's that word "need". Men should never "need". We all have desires, but if we wish to fulfill those desires, then we must also be prepared to make changes and sacrifices.

If you don't have any friends, then it's not everybody else, it's you. If you desire friends, then you need to look at yourself and ask yourself what you're willing to change about yourself in order to welcome more friends into your life.
When I said "need", I meant it in a practical sense, not a philosophical sense. It's a well-documented empirical finding that humans generally need friends in order to be happy. It's a biological fact that is closely relevant to the OP's question.

That being said, there are always exceptions, so if you are one of those exceptions, then just keep doing whatever it is that makes you happy.

I agree with you that "need" has to be coupled with action. So if the OP "needs" more friends, then he has to take initiative to reach out to potential friends.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CharlesH For This Useful Post:
Barbrady1 (12-27-17), Fuzzy12 (12-28-17)
Old 12-27-17, 05:52 AM

Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I dont know about this either. I was a chaser BUT I also attracted chasers's and I take "social butterfly" to the extreme. I have a few diehard friends and tons and tons of friends and aquaintances. I run into one of these people at least once a week.
Indeed, but it's a different ball game for women. Women are approached relentlessly by men, men however are not constantly approached by women.

I know this debate isn't really about the sexes, but I think it's still very much relevant.

If a man is lonely and wants to gain friends, then he needs to learn how to bait the opposite sex. Not only will he make more female friends, he will gain the respect of his male peers also, making him plenty of male and female friends.

The problem with men and loneliness today is that we get so caught up in the emotion of being alone, that we become sad and bitter and want to blame our own loneliness on everybody else. We forget how to be men and start behaving like little lost children, forever feeling sorry for ourselves.
Old 12-27-17, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
When I said "need", I meant it in a practical sense, not a philosophical sense. It's a well-documented empirical finding that humans generally need friends in order to be happy. It's a biological fact that is closely relevant to the OP's question.

That being said, there are always exceptions, so if you are one of those exceptions, then just keep doing whatever it is that makes you happy.

I agree with you that "need" has to be coupled with action. So if the OP "needs" more friends, then he has to take initiative to reach out to potential friends.
I'm not saying men shouldn't have friends. But you won't make good friends in life until you learn to be comfortable with who you are. You may make some bad friends, people who want to drag you down. But that's not really what you want. You want to invite good, positive people into your life, but you have to embrace your own inner awesomeness first before they'll even notice you.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (12-27-17), aeon (12-28-17), CharlesH (12-27-17), Little Missy (12-27-17)
Old 12-28-17, 11:08 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Thanked 1,231 Times in 520 Posts
WhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud of

I'm 33 and have only had a few real friends my whole adult life. I only became friends with those people because my husband was friends with their husbands. I did come to consider them best friends and I was able to be myself around them, mostly. But even then, it was still different from what I see between other people in close friendships. Like there was still some barrier I had up, preventing anyone from getting too close to me. I think it's because of my childhood abuse. I avoid vulnerability, which is pretty much required for a close friendship.

There is one person in my life now that I consider a friend, but I don't see or talk with her very often. We are both pretty busy. I think ADD can be a pretty big barrier to friendship for many reasons. One of the main reasons for me, is that it takes so much work, time, and effort, just to keep up with my own life, that I am unable to concern myself with the lives of others. I don't think it's that I'm apathetic and uninterested, just too busy putting out my own fires caused by my ADD and anxiety. It may come across to others as self-absorbed, though, because they don't have a clue how hard it is for me to just keep it together doing the basics.

I am working on making friends, though. I've joined some Meetup groups and am hoping to make a couple friends, but I'm not too hopeful I will ever be able to let any friends past that barrier and it kind of sucks.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WhiteOwl For This Useful Post:
adhdseeker (05-10-18), aeon (12-28-17), stef (12-28-17)
Old 12-28-17, 01:00 PM

Thanked 29,910 Times in 13,811 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm not saying men shouldn't have friends. But you won't make good friends in life until you learn to be comfortable with who you are. You may make some bad friends, people who want to drag you down. But that's not really what you want. You want to invite good, positive people into your life, but you have to embrace your own inner awesomeness first before they'll even notice you.
I had the best and nicest friends in school and that was probably when I was at my most screwed up and I definitely wasn't comfortable with myself.

It's easier to have healthy relationships when you are emotionally savvy but it's not a must. I wouldn't wait for that. You learn a lot by having relationships. Even if they aren't perfect.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
stef (12-28-17)
Old 12-28-17, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
I had the best and nicest friends in school and that was probably when I was at my most screwed up and I definitely wasn't comfortable with myself.

It's easier to have healthy relationships when you are emotionally savvy but it's not a must. I wouldn't wait for that. You learn a lot by having relationships. Even if they aren't perfect.
Yes, having friends that you can lean on when you're stuck in a rut can seem nice at the time. However, if you really want to progress forward in life, then you have to start making friends with people who have expectations of you. People who want you to be the very best you that you can be.

Leaning on people becomes a habit. Eventually you abandon your own welfare and rely more on other people providing it for you. Which only creates a deeper sense of helplessness in the long run as you no longer feel as if you're in control of your own life.

Yes, by all means, have friends that you know can offer you great advice that can help you to help yourself. However, don't surround yourself with people who will gladly live your own life for you, because that's what happens when you lean on people.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
adhdseeker (05-10-18), aeon (12-28-17), Fuzzy12 (12-28-17)
Old 12-28-17, 08:45 PM
ADDvanced Member

DeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbrady1 View Post

Should I be concerned that I don't have any friends at 27?
Well, i had only a few real friends at age 27, now at age 46 i have none to speak off.

And while i do want friends on one hand, i also know it gives me stress to have them, to uphold contact regularly and surf against my shifting focus. Most of my friendships died along the way cause i felt myself i hadn't been a consistent friend, sometimes dropping off their radar for years, or inventing excuses cause they sought out contact to small talk at a time that my attention was otherwise occupied.

I felt i was more being a fraud then being a friend, due to my inconsistency. Even though i am 100% sure when they would have really needed me i would have been there for them.

I think one thing has changed positively in recent years and that is that i have become a better friend to myself now. Learning about ADD and see how it also affected friendships and relationships over the years put things in a different perspective too. So looking to the future i am fairly optimistic that i will have some friends again.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DeClutter For This Useful Post:
adhdseeker (05-10-18), Fuzzy12 (12-28-17), stef (12-29-17), WhiteOwl (12-28-17)
Old 12-28-17, 08:54 PM

Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yes, having friends that you can lean on when you're stuck in a rut can seem nice at the time. However, if you really want to progress forward in life, then you have to start making friends with people who have expectations of you. People who want you to be the very best you that you can be.

Leaning on people becomes a habit. Eventually you abandon your own welfare and rely more on other people providing it for you. Which only creates a deeper sense of helplessness in the long run as you no longer feel as if you're in control of your own life.

Yes, by all means, have friends that you know can offer you great advice that can help you to help yourself. However, don't surround yourself with people who will gladly live your own life for you, because that's what happens when you lean on people.
Yes all true.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Fraser_0762 (12-29-17)
Old 12-28-17, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeClutter View Post
Well, i had only a few real friends at age 27, now at age 46 i have none to speak off.

And while i do want friends on one hand, i also know it gives me stress to have them, to uphold contact regularly and surf against my shifting focus. Most of my friendships died along the way cause i felt myself i hadn't been a consistent friend, sometimes dropping off their radar for years, or inventing excuses cause they sought out contact to small talk at a time that my attention was otherwise occupied.

I felt i was more being a fraud then being a friend, due to my inconsistency. Even though i am 100% sure when they would have really needed me i would have been there for them.

I think one thing has changed positively in recent years and that is that i have become a better friend to myself now. Learning about ADD and see how it also affected friendships and relationships over the years put things in a different perspective too. So looking to the future i am fairly optimistic that i will have some friends again.
This sounds a bit like me. I know I'm a terrible friend. I don't keep in touch. I don't reach out and very very often I genuinely don't want to interact with anyone or someone in particular.

I do get excited about the idea of making friends or new friends but very quickly i start slacking.

I also just don't have the time. I've got an endless to do list.

Over the years I've become more comfortable and more forgiving of myself for being slightly asocial. When I was in school I felt so bad about not being able to make lots of friends. In uni I had tons of friends and they totally overwhelmed (and annoyed) me. I still feel guilty about the friends I haven't been able to keep in touch with but I don't feel that guilty about not really being that interested in making new friends or investing lots of time and effort into it.

I know I'm very lucky though because my husband fulfills a lot of of just friendship needs even if that might not be very healthy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
adhdseeker (05-10-18), DeClutter (12-29-17)
Old 12-28-17, 09:10 PM

At 27 I had no friends by the way. Zero. Lots of acquaintances. Mainly hubby's friends' wives and girlfriends but no friends. I was way too depressed.

I've made a few sort of friends last year but that's slowly fizzling out again...
Old 12-29-17, 05:12 AM

Han123 has a spectacular aura aboutHan123 has a spectacular aura about

I like being alone, but I also need my friends. I'm 23 and I have about 4 good friends. I feel like I need contact and I need someone to be interested in me just like I'm interested in them once in a while to feel good. When I've been to myself for a long time, it can really give me an energy boost and sort of a peacefulness. I also talk a lot with my parents, brother and boyfriend, people who I also consider friends (I had a very 'liberal' upbringing).

I worry a lot and my mind is always racing. So it can help me to talk about in order to see things straight and in perspective again. These people can motivate me and lift me up.

I say this because I do see advantages in friendships, but it doesn't need to be time absorbing. My friends know that I can be unavailable for long periods of time, and they accept that. They also know that I will almost never reach out to them myself, and they're cool with it when I decline an invitation. Also, when I see them it's usually just for 1 or 2 hours in the evening, when I would normally watch TV, so it doesn't feel like a waste of time to me.

I agree that making friends is difficult, but I also think that if you want to try, it's important you see it as something positive; something you really want and something you're willing to put a little bit of time into. I see it as an investment in my mental wellbeing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Han123 For This Useful Post:
WhiteOwl (12-29-17)
Old 12-29-17, 05:22 AM
ADDvanced Member

Barbrady1 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all your thoughtful responses, guys.

It would seem as if my fear has been realised as my ex is now keen to completely dissociate.

Whilst I don't want to be friendless my entire life, I am becoming somewhat resigned to a remarkably insular existence as it's usually harder to make friends as you grow older. The fact that I don't drink is perhaps an obstacle too as I miss out on plenty of opportunities to socialise in bars, nightclubs etc.

Even though I have been rather isolated for the past several years, I do need to be careful that I don't fall into a pit of depression again as I don't currently work, volunteer or study. Hopefully I will find the right dose of concerta to allow me to try new things and meet new people.