ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Non-ADD Partner Support
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Non-ADD Partner Support This is a support forum for non-ADD partners, spouses, and significant others offering feedback from both the ADD and non-ADD perspectives

Old 12-24-17, 07:04 PM

excited622 is on a distinguished road
Dating guy with ADD and he dosen't respond to my texts all the time

I met this amazing guy who has ADD on an online dating site 2 months ago and I feel like it is going pretty well. The first couple weeks he always had time and responded to my text and we even talked on the phone a couple times. Then we met and it was a great first meeting. For about a week after that he was always replying to me and then I sort of said I was hoping we could meet again soon but he got sick.

Then while he was sick I sort of said one day while I was drinking I really liked him and was wanting more and he felt bad and said he didn't want to give me the wrong impression but he didn't have time to give me what I needed or wanted right now but still wanted to hang out and talk when we could.

Also, the thing with him is that he has the ADD but he is insanely busy and I'm sure when he is not dealing with work and communicating with everybody else he just wants alone time and I am sure he doesn't want to engage in several hours of communicating with me when he is so tired. So a few weeks ago I stopped texting him so much but I texted him one day 2 weeks ago and we texted and talked for a few hours and it happened again the other day and he said he wants to hang out over the break. Yes, I do have to sometimes double or even triple text him and he usually apologize and now we are comfortable with each other I can tease him about not getting back to me. He always apologizes but laughs at the teasing too. I haven't heard from him in a couple of days now and know he still is interested but I have anxiety about this when I don't hear from him.

I just plan to text him the day after xmas, the day before I'm hoping we can hang out, to see if I can get his attention. I mean what do you guys think? I've seen other posts and websites that people with ADHD are horrible at texting.

The other thing too is he was hurt pretty bad in his last relationship and another girl when he was younger. He almost married both girls so I feel like I just want to be friends with him right now and show him he can trust another girl again. I really care for him and want to be a part of his life. I know he isn't ready for a relationship quite yet but it is even tougher cuz he has the ADD. Do you guys have any advice for me?
Old 12-24-17, 08:29 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,022 Times in 2,907 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dating guy with ADD and he dosen't respond to my texts all the time

I think you should probably leave him alone for a while and give him his space. Obsessing over him will make you come across as needy and it will ultimately push him away.

Christmas is a busy time of year for a lot of people. Perhaps he just has too many other things going on at the moment.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
excited622 (12-25-17), Little Missy (12-24-17)
Old 12-24-17, 08:36 PM

Thanked 20,891 Times in 11,127 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Quit texting already.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-17, 10:33 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Thanked 1,222 Times in 518 Posts
WhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud of

I would leave him alone completely. If he wants to contact you, he will, no matter how busy he is. If he only contacts you sporadically and that bothers you, move along and find someone who is more consistent. I also recently dealt with a guy who was hurt badly and said he wanted to date, but was not ready for a relationship. He was a sweet guy and everything, but I knew I needed someone emotionally available, not someone to try to "fix", so I told him bye. The guy I'm with now, I don't have to worry if he's going to get back to me. Even when he's busy at work, he always texts me during breaks. If a person wants to talk to you, it only takes a few seconds to send a text.

ADD is absolutely not an excuse. My ADD is very bad, I'm very forgetful, but I do not just forget to text back, especially not for a couple days. I may do that with people in my life who are not super important to me, but not with someone who is important to me. No way. My honest opinion is that it sounds like this guy's interest level is not very high. He's doing you a favor by saying he can't give you what you need right now. So I would say, believe him and move along. That's what I did. I know I wouldn't be able to put up with the anxiety of sitting there for days, wondering if I will hear from them. Nope, I wouldn't put myself through that, and I don't think you should, either.
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteOwl For This Useful Post:
Snoozy (01-29-18)
Old 12-25-17, 07:14 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 30,860 Times in 14,138 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by excited622 View Post
Then while he was sick I sort of said one day while I was drinking I really liked him and was wanting more and he felt bad and said he didn't want to give me the wrong impression but he didn't have time to give me what I needed or wanted right now but still wanted to hang out and talk when we could.
You should have stopped at this: He was very good about being honest- thats hard to come by. And it was good of him to tell you he cant give you what you need. Alot of people will feel bad they cant and keep trying and make things worse.
Quote:
Also, the thing with him is that he has the ADD but he is insanely busy and I'm sure when he is not dealing with work and communicating with everybody else he just wants alone time and I am sure he doesn't want to engage in several hours of communicating with me when he is so tired.
Thats the thing with love- it even trumps being tired of communicating and dealing with other people. You love someone so much that you are willing to go that extra mile to hear them and love them. Even when you are tired cuddling them on the sofa is good enough. Even when you talk all day long, listening to them is so worth it, even if you dont have much to say. You can be a good communicator without being a talker. Good, active listening is a skill and you can offer your advice after having the time to think about things.

Quote:
So a few weeks ago I stopped texting him so much but I texted him one day 2 weeks ago and we texted and talked for a few hours and it happened again the other day and he said he wants to hang out over the break. Yes, I do have to sometimes double or even triple text him and he usually apologize and now we are comfortable with each other I can tease him about not getting back to me. He always apologizes but laughs at the teasing too. I haven't heard from him in a couple of days now and know he still is interested but I have anxiety about this when I don't hear from him.

I just plan to text him the day after xmas, the day before I'm hoping we can hang out, to see if I can get his attention. I mean what do you guys think? I've seen other posts and websites that people with ADHD are horrible at texting.

The other thing too is he was hurt pretty bad in his last relationship and another girl when he was younger. He almost married both girls so I feel like I just want to be friends with him right now and show him he can trust another girl again. I really care for him and want to be a part of his life. I know he isn't ready for a relationship quite yet but it is even tougher cuz he has the ADD. Do you guys have any advice for me?
His past is of no concern to you right now. You know about it and are using it to decode the way he is feeling and acting. You have no idea if that has anything to do with you unless he tells you it does. I understand your plan about waiting and then texting again and you did rope him back in- but you are showing that you are super into him by the reminder texts and hints about hanging out. Think about it. Do you want the guy who has to be reminded three times to hang out with you? Do you want the guy who needs hints dropped like a trail of breadcrumbs to make plans with you? I think you deserve way more than this no matter how much you like him. And you are giving the impression that you are the girl who hangs on despite all the warning signs and mixed signals- and the last thing you want to be is someone's back up girl.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
SuperP (12-26-17), Voidspace (12-31-17)
Old 12-25-17, 01:02 PM

Thank you I know you guys are right
Old 12-25-17, 01:18 PM

Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,174 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute

He gave you his answer: that he can't hang out or doesn't want to hang as much as you want to hang out.

Here's the rule, the rule I painfully learned ... any ambivalence in a relationship early on ... should be read the same way we would read ambivalence from an employer conducting a job interview. If the employer really wants to hire us, they will take action ... they haven't forgotten us and all of that.

Very emotionally risky to continue on as you are hoping for more. People either want to spend time with us or don't ... It's OK, to triple-text friends who disappear occasionally. But definitely not OK to triple-text people we are interested in romantically. If you have to triple-text and be patient and understanding and all of that at the get-go, then the other person isn't interested or is a person who doesn't know how to treat people well.

The advice from others above is right on the money: move on ...

Disappointing I know ... assuming you like him.

Tone
Old 12-25-17, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneTone View Post
He gave you his answer: that he can't hang out or doesn't want to hang as much as you want to hang out.

Here's the rule, the rule I painfully learned ... any ambivalence in a relationship early on ... should be read the same way we would read ambivalence from an employer conducting a job interview. If the employer really wants to hire us, they will take action ... they haven't forgotten us and all of that.

Very emotionally risky to continue on as you are hoping for more. People either want to spend time with us or don't ... It's OK, to triple-text friends who disappear occasionally. But definitely not OK to triple-text people we are interested in romantically. If you have to triple-text and be patient and understanding and all of that at the get-go, then the other person isn't interested or is a person who doesn't know how to treat people well.

The advice from others above is right on the money: move on ...

Disappointing I know ... assuming you like him.

Tone
Not sure if you read my post properly, but he has said he does want to keep hanging out and talking, just gunshy about getting into a relationship. Also, I didn't mention it but occasionally he does text me out of the blue after a few days of no contact. So, maybe you can understand why I have a hard time letting go.

I know I need to give him space and like I said I just want to be his friend right now but I know he sees me more than a friend because we always talk about getting into a relationship eventually and stuff we expect. I think he has trouble staying in touch because he is so busy and the ADHD.
Old 12-25-17, 11:07 PM

Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,174 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I misread this:

Then while he was sick I sort of said one day while I was drinking I really liked him and was wanting more and he felt bad and said he didn't want to give me the wrong impression but he didn't have time to give me what I needed or wanted right now but still wanted to hang out and talk when we could

But looking at this paragraph again, sounds pretty clear like a "no" to me. I've never told a woman I was really interested in that I couldn't give her what she wanted ... And never has a woman who has been totally into me (as in wanted to be in a romantic relationship) ever told me that.

I once saw an interview with Martha Stewart, and the interviewer asked her if she was interested in getting into a relationship.

Martha Stewart said yes, she would like to be in a relationship.

The interviewer said, "But you are really busy. Do you have the time?"

What did super-busy, workaholic, Martha Stewart say? "I'd make the time," she said.

I am really not raining on your parade, I'm trying to protect your heart. I've been in your position more times than I'd care to admit, and painful experience has taught me that when a person is ambivalent, my behavior can't change them. My patience can't change them, my willingness to wait can't change them, calmly pretending I was OK with being friends for now didn't change them.

And vice versa, a woman's "patience" with my allegedly busyness never changed my mind, never increased my interest or desire or attraction such that I would prioritize hanging with them.

Tone
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ToneTone For This Useful Post:
SuperP (12-26-17), WhiteOwl (12-26-17)
Old 12-26-17, 01:13 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Thanked 1,222 Times in 518 Posts
WhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud of

If you just want to be his friend, then talk to other guys. It really helps. I was starting to get too attached to the guy who didn't want a relationship, so I started talking with someone else who was looking for a relationship. Now we are dating and there's a lot of promise for the future. I'm so glad I didn't waste my time with someone who couldn't give me what I needed. If you want to still be friends with this guy, be friends. Hang out every now and then, but find a guy who can give you what you need relationship-wise. Don't hang on to some "fantasy" you have of a future with this guy. What if you wait and wait for this one guy, and miss a great guy who is ready and more interested in you? What if you wait for this guy for a long time and then he's finally ready, but it's with someone else? That was how I felt with the last guy, like a bridge between his ex and his future gf. No thanks. Sorry if that all sounds harsh, that's just how I feel about it. I think you deserve someone who can give you what you need now, not maybe someday down the road.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WhiteOwl For This Useful Post:
stef (12-26-17), SuperP (12-26-17), ToneTone (12-26-17)
Old 12-27-17, 07:11 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 30,860 Times in 14,138 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by excited622 View Post
Not sure if you read my post properly, but he has said he does want to keep hanging out and talking, just gunshy about getting into a relationship. Also, I didn't mention it but occasionally he does text me out of the blue after a few days of no contact. So, maybe you can understand why I have a hard time letting go.

I know I need to give him space and like I said I just want to be his friend right now but I know he sees me more than a friend because we always talk about getting into a relationship eventually and stuff we expect. I think he has trouble staying in touch because he is so busy and the ADHD.
When someone says they will hang out and talk but that they are gunshy about a relationship that means they do not really want to hang out and talk and do not want a relationship otherwise whats in it for them?

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
ToneTone (12-27-17)
Old 12-27-17, 01:09 PM

Thanked 25,045 Times in 11,633 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOwl View Post

If a person wants to talk to you, it only takes a few seconds to send a text.
It takes me a couple of minutes to send a text ... at minimum.

Combination of lack of dexterity and older android phone.

Just sayin'

Texting is also hard for me because there's no way to go back and edit.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
aeon (12-27-17)
Old 03-01-18, 12:20 AM
Jr Member

freshish is on a distinguished road

The thing is, many guys are horrible at texting. I used to text some guys before and they just "ghosted" me out of nowhere. Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just let things run its course.

And may I ask, how did you know it was ADD? He told you about it and he was explicitly diagnosed?
Old 03-01-18, 05:38 PM

Thanked 25,045 Times in 11,633 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't look like the OP has been back since posting this, or I would ask
whether she's ever dated someone without adhd, and if that person texted
her back immediately all day long?

I just saw a post on facebook that makes a lot of sense to me:

Quote:
"understand that your friends don't wanna talk every day.
understand that your sig other doesn't wanna be lovey dovey or super indulgent every day.
lots of people need rest from performative emotions.
all people need rest in general.
it's okay. it doesn't mean they don't love you."
Brilliant. Perfectly true. Even married people can go and do different things
without their partner without it signaling the breakup of the relationship.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Little Nut (03-02-18), OyVeyKitty (03-01-18)
Old 03-02-18, 03:26 PM

SuperP will become famous soon enough

Hi Lunacie, I'm just jumping in here cause I had a similar experience with dating an ADHD guy. He seemed to really like me when we were together and he always told me he missed me when I saw him, but he was horrible at texting and keeping in touch..just very inconsistent.

Sometimes he would text me several times a day and even ask me questions, and then drop me in the middle... Its like he would fall off the face of the earth. At times, I wouldnt hear from him for days or weeks. But again, when we were together, it was magical.

Same thing happened with the guy I dated before him...He had Aspergers and claimed to REALLY like me. We had fun together, but it was the same thing...inconsistency with texting and communication, and, eventually, I just gave up. I figured that they "were just not that into me". And maybe that was the case.

But interestingly, I have been dating a guy now for three months that doesnt have ADHD or Aspergers (that I know of). It is so nice and refreshing to have this consistent communication. It doesnt mean that we are constantly "texting eachother back Immediately all day long". We take breaks in communication and see eachother about 2-3 times a week...but its VERY nice and VERY refreshing to be on the same page. I know that when he doesnt get back to me right away, that he will eventually, and he will never let a whole day pass to respond to simple text.

I still dont know if ADHD/Aspergers has anything to do with inconsistent texing/communication.

Oh, and btw, the guy that I dated with Aspergers got in touch with me recently because he came to suddenly realize (after about 2 years) that he misses me ??? not sure what thats about.

Curious about your thoughts