ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 12-26-17, 04:12 AM
Jr Member

Steve1111 is on a distinguished road
My Medication Is Not Exactly Working Right

I take adderall IR 10 milligrams per day for my ADHD. Yes, this medication does help me to stay focused and more attentive for the period of time that it lasts which sometimes is as long as 5 or 6 hours, though the improvement of my focus is diminished by that point considerably....... however, it's often as little as four hours or so. The problem is that nowadays, like most people, I don't have a three or four hour workday. I have a workday that lasts even more than the standard eight hours at times, on the days that I work. I am self employed, and not only do I need to perform necessary tasks for my job...... but I need to research things related to growing my business and remain attentive while doing so. This is why my workdays can be somewhat longer than eight hours at times. Therefore, it's not uncommon that my medication actually lasts only four hours or so.

I have been on this medication for several months now. I did not mention to my doctor at the last checkup about this issue, because I was not needing to work as long of hours at that time. On one occasion several months ago (the third month of starting meds, my pharmacy overfilled my script with over 100 pills instead of the 30 that I was supposed to get). While this isn't something I have had to do all the time or anything, sometimes when I am having an especially long workday, I end up taking an additional pill or half of a pill in order to continue to receive benefit from the medication during the latter half of my workday where....... and as I'm sure all of you are familiar with, "untreated" ADHD significantly reduces work performance and results in me earning less money (as I'm self employed and always need to ensure that my clients are satisfied with my work). The 10 milligrams is perfectly effective, the problem is simply that it doesn't last.

Obviously, I'm going to have to talk to my doctor about the fact that the medication is not lasting long enough. Otherwise, I'm going to be left with being unable to receive the full benefits of treatment. I would have talked about it sooner, but I wasn't sure if that was how it was supposed to be....... or if the medication is supposed to last all day. While I wouldn't say this to the doctor of course (as I wouldn't want him to get the wrong idea and think I'm trying to catch a buzz off the stuff or something), the only reason why I was able to "figure out" that having a full day of benefit from the medication (as opposed to just the morning) was beneficial to me was because of the error that was made a while ago.

I am simply curious what doctors tend to do in this situation where the medication is not lasting long enough, would I need to be put on a different med? Or would I simply be put on the same medication twice a day most likely? Just curious...... what about Strattera? I have read that this gives long-acting effects that do not wear off at the end of the day. Because it builds up in the system giving continuous effect...... and is a non-stimulant, so one can receive the benefits of medication without the side effects of stimulants (e.g. insomnia if it is taken at night). Is Strattera as effective as adderall, because if so...... I would much, much rather take something that resolves my symptoms all the time which I read that this stuff does.
Old 12-26-17, 11:37 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,238 Times in 14,917 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My Medication Is Not Exactly Working Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1111 View Post
I take adderall IR 10 milligrams per day for my ADHD. Yes, this medication does help me to stay focused and more attentive for the period of time that it lasts which sometimes is as long as 5 or 6 hours, though the improvement of my focus is diminished by that point considerably....... however, it's often as little as four hours or so. The problem is that nowadays, like most people, I don't have a three or four hour workday. I have a workday that lasts even more than the standard eight hours at times, on the days that I work. I am self employed, and not only do I need to perform necessary tasks for my job...... but I need to research things related to growing my business and remain attentive while doing so. This is why my workdays can be somewhat longer than eight hours at times. Therefore, it's not uncommon that my medication actually lasts only four hours or so.
IR adderall is not meant to last MORE than 4 hours-5 at most. The effects do diminesh at 2-3 hours and go from there. This is perfectly normal. Anytime someone has adhd and takes IR adderall they normally need a second dose. I take adderall 3 times a day and IR as the last dose. I have other issues that make me need it this way but my point is you are not wrong.

Quote:
I have been on this medication for several months now. I did not mention to my doctor at the last checkup about this issue, because I was not needing to work as long of hours at that time. On one occasion several months ago (the third month of starting meds, my pharmacy overfilled my script with over 100 pills instead of the 30 that I was supposed to get). While this isn't something I have had to do all the time or anything, sometimes when I am having an especially long workday, I end up taking an additional pill or half of a pill in order to continue to receive benefit from the medication during the latter half of my workday where....... and as I'm sure all of you are familiar with, "untreated" ADHD significantly reduces work performance and results in me earning less money (as I'm self employed and always need to ensure that my clients are satisfied with my work). The 10 milligrams is perfectly effective, the problem is simply that it doesn't last.
That is a very tough position to be in. For legal/honesty's sake you probably could have mentioned this to the pharmacist but if it was their mistake and there is NO WAY they can find out- personally I would have kept the extra meds too. You may want to mention this to the doctor but I dont know what the best way to do this would be. You want to make sure that you know this will work but you dont want to look bad.

Quote:
Obviously, I'm going to have to talk to my doctor about the fact that the medication is not lasting long enough. Otherwise, I'm going to be left with being unable to receive the full benefits of treatment. I would have talked about it sooner, but I wasn't sure if that was how it was supposed to be....... or if the medication is supposed to last all day. While I wouldn't say this to the doctor of course (as I wouldn't want him to get the wrong idea and think I'm trying to catch a buzz off the stuff or something), the only reason why I was able to "figure out" that having a full day of benefit from the medication (as opposed to just the morning) was beneficial to me was because of the error that was made a while ago.
If you have a decent doctor then he should know that IR doesnt last more than 4 hours. You can google it but dont get confused with stuff like half life and whatnot, that only applies to how long its in your system, to the efficacy or how it works.

Quote:
I am simply curious what doctors tend to do in this situation where the medication is not lasting long enough, would I need to be put on a different med? Or would I simply be put on the same medication twice a day most likely? Just curious...... what about Strattera? I have read that this gives long-acting effects that do not wear off at the end of the day. Because it builds up in the system giving continuous effect...... and is a non-stimulant, so one can receive the benefits of medication without the side effects of stimulants (e.g. insomnia if it is taken at night). Is Strattera as effective as adderall, because if so...... I would much, much rather take something that resolves my symptoms all the time which I read that this stuff does.
Well, like I said a good doc should know this. My opinion on Strattera is not so good. It was studied and marketed as an antidepressant which is exactly how it works. When that wasnt going so well for Lily company they sort of firgured out it had minimal benefits with adhd and latched onto that marketing trick and now we have it as a non-stimulant choice for adhd. But someone like me, who already takes antidepressants could never take it. Tell your doc at the very least that it doesnt last more than 4 hours. No need to explain why you work more, or that you do than when you first started-unneeded info for him. Just that it doesnt work, and even print out a basic info sheet and tell him you know this from what you researched, Hopefully your doc doesnt poo-poo the use of google in this case.

You are not out of your mind. At this point despite my desire to encourage honesty, I just cant figure out a way that telling him you took more than prescribed would be benefical to your plight.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 12-28-17, 02:43 AM
Jr Member

Well, that's good to know....... that it's not something with me that the medication doesn't really last through the day. So, I suppose if I say that the medication is not lasting through my workday, and it results in a return of my symptoms...... he would probably just either switch me to a different med or prescribe twice a day, as apparently that's pretty much standard procedure with this. If not, perhaps I'll need to switch doctors. Or just make due with treatment that only lasts for around four hours.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-17, 11:54 AM
ADDvanced Member

Snoopy10 will become famous soon enough

Hi Steve1111 , okay so you are telling us that your doctor prescribed 10mg Adderall IR 1x/day? I've never heard of that, I believe it's standard to prescribe 2x (I take 10mg IR 3x daily).

And where is this pharmacy that gave you 100 pills instead of 30, that is crazy! Make sure it's actually Adderall and it wasn't an employee doing a bad swap out job (yes, that happened to my friend with a pain pill prescription, someone took her meds and filled her prescription with stool softener)

Best thing to do is talk to your doctor and ask for a 2x dose. You aren't helping yourself by taking only one a day bc when it wears off, you'll feel a bit lethargic for a Lille while, which won't help your symptoms either. I get feeling embarrassed about asking for a higher dose. Just be direct about it and think about in terms of symptom management.
Old 01-18-18, 05:34 PM
Jr Member

I got it worked out. My doc prescribed 10 mg XR in addition to the 10 mg IR to prevent me from experiencing the lethargic feeling later in the day that I sometimes got and keep me focused throughout the day. It's been working very good thus far.

And to Snoopy 10, I think/hope the extra pills from the pharmacy that I had were adderall? They seemed to have the same effect. So, I think I got the right stuff, but that is a good point. But luckily since I got my prescription adjusted, I won't need to be taking them anymore. They did look different though, instead of a blue pill, they are white pills that have an M on the back, and there are four lines coming from it, though I may not be remembering accurately about the marking. It says 10 on the front. They also were much smaller than the blue pills that I usually take, by a lot, tiny by comparison.

That really sucks what happened to your friend with the pain pill/laxative mix up. If a mistake like that ever happens again where they overfill it, it makes me think it'd be a good idea to check the markings online first before taking it.