ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Men with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Men with ADD/ADHD This forum is for men to discuss issues related to being a man with AD/HD.

Old 11-21-17, 05:25 AM
Contributor

baical will become famous soon enough
is it OK to be on TRT (Testosterone Replacement Therapy) while on ADHD meds?

When I say TRT, it's usually testosterone medication/therapy. ADHD meds are usually amphetamines or stimulants. Just wondering if anyone here has been on both and if it gave them negative side effects?
Old 11-21-17, 09:02 AM

Arthos is a jewel in the roughArthos is a jewel in the roughArthos is a jewel in the rough
Re: is it OK to be on TRT (Testosterone Replacement Therapy) while on ADHD meds?

I know plenty of people who are or have been on both. I am on TRT myself, and might be starting stimulants next year.

You just need to make sure your bloods and blood pressure are being monitored. Both TRT and stimulants may increase blood pressure, so that's one to watch out for.
The Following User Says Thank You to Arthos For This Useful Post:
baical (11-28-17)
Old 11-21-17, 06:01 PM
ADDvanced Member

allesandro1 has a spectacular aura aboutallesandro1 has a spectacular aura about
Re: is it OK to be on TRT (Testosterone Replacement Therapy) while on ADHD meds?

of course, have been for years
The Following User Says Thank You to allesandro1 For This Useful Post:
baical (11-28-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-17, 10:15 AM
Contributor

Depends what stimulants, some are stronger than others I think.

How many hours apart to take the meds? I'd assume not at the same time right?

Isn't proviron prescribed in Europe as a form of TRT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthos View Post
I know plenty of people who are or have been on both. I am on TRT myself, and might be starting stimulants next year.

You just need to make sure your bloods and blood pressure are being monitored. Both TRT and stimulants may increase blood pressure, so that's one to watch out for.
Old 11-28-17, 10:34 AM

Arthos is a jewel in the roughArthos is a jewel in the roughArthos is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by baical View Post
Depends what stimulants, some are stronger than others I think.

How many hours apart to take the meds? I'd assume not at the same time right?

Isn't proviron prescribed in Europe as a form of TRT?
Not in the UK and some other European countries, as far as I am aware. Not sure about Proviron specifically, but in the UK they no longer prescribe any oral TRT due to the (unnecessary) strain it puts on the liver. Instead they prescribe injections or transdermal gels:
- Daily gels
- Short-acting injections (once every 1-4 weeks)
- Long-acting injections (once every ~12 weeks)

I have never heard of any issues with any of these formulas and any type of stimulant. No endocrinologist or psychiatrist of mine (or of anyone I know) has ever mentioned any interactions besides the obvious 'they can both increase blood pressure so get that monitored'. Tbh if there was any increased risk to taking both at the same time, I am sure that would have been common knowledge.

I can't speak for Proviron, as that is not prescribed in the UK and I don't know anyone who is on that
The Following User Says Thank You to Arthos For This Useful Post:
baical (12-02-17)
Old 12-13-17, 08:22 AM
Contributor

do you guys think it's a good combo to get TRT treatment as well while on ADHD meds? I do show signs of androgen deficiency (depression, low energy, fat storing on belly and hips, etc.). Do you guys see better benefits when both neurotransmitter therapy along with endocrine therapy as a good pair?
Old 12-13-17, 08:33 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 30,852 Times in 14,133 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

What is neurotransmitter therapy?

I carried a watermelon?
Old 12-13-17, 02:14 PM
Contributor

the stimulants that you take is technically for neurotransmitter therapy since it increases/releases what it needs to release/increase when one lacks them, thus it's a form of therapy for the neurotransmitters, mainly dopamine/NE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
What is neurotransmitter therapy?
Old 12-14-17, 04:54 AM

poguesvevo is on a distinguished road

It's perfectly fine, but I will say, that once I begun, my symptoms got a bit worse. Not concerning, just more common.

This may be a personal question, but is this for low T as a cis guy, or TRT as a trans man? Bc if you're going from being "biologically female" to male, then that's when it might be a bit difficult, bc estrogen affects your ADHD differently than testosterone. At least that's my experience as a trans dude.
Old 12-21-17, 06:22 PM
Contributor

I'm not trans so I can't answer your question but I think anyone transitioning from male to female and vice versa using hormones I think will experience symptoms worsening. Some hormones are NOT to be used by a female, that's meant to be used by males only, and so on, unless they're trying to gain characteristics of the opposite sex (i.e. those who are "transitioning").

Quote:
Originally Posted by poguesvevo View Post
It's perfectly fine, but I will say, that once I begun, my symptoms got a bit worse. Not concerning, just more common.

This may be a personal question, but is this for low T as a cis guy, or TRT as a trans man? Bc if you're going from being "biologically female" to male, then that's when it might be a bit difficult, bc estrogen affects your ADHD differently than testosterone. At least that's my experience as a trans dude.

Last edited by namazu; 12-21-17 at 07:01 PM.. Reason: Please avoid derogatory language.
Old 12-24-17, 09:33 PM

JakeH99 is on a distinguished road

ADHD stimulants can raise NE and Dopamine though which are really helpful in ADHD treatment. NE deficiency is why the lack of motivation and ambition is present in many adults and children.