ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Inattentive ADD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Inattentive ADD A forum set aside for the the discussion of inattention and inattentive ADD

Old 11-21-17, 02:55 PM
Jr Member

Essa96 is on a distinguished road
What does your childhood report say about you? (Inattentives)

I'm not officially diagnosed yet, but my reports go something like this..

Reception (4-5): Is interested, excited and motivated to learn. Initiates conversations, listens well.

Year 1 (5-6) yo: - Enjoys lessons and is usually able to concentrate well.
- His puppet was disappointing as he did not follow his design at all.
- Needs help to keep on task
-Often rather silly and does not concentrate or follow instructions.

Year 2 (6-7): -Usually listens attentively and enjoys listening to stories.
- Very patient when making models. Is focused and determined to finish off activities.
- Needs to take his time when working independently and not rush his work.
- Enjoys making other children laugh, very popular but sometimes disturbs the class.

year 3 (7-8): - Has tried hard to focus and listen
- Works diligently in most lessons
- At times can be easily distracted by friends, and needs to ensure he doesn't talk when he needs to listen.

Year 4: missing somewhere..

Year 5 (9-10): - Tends to panic when needing to use mental strategies and answering questions in a given time.
- Ensure that he edits work carefully
- Finds new concepts difficult, but tries hard to work through his problems
- On occasions he lacks concentration and this affects his work.
- Ensure that he puts best effort into all subjects, and not just the ones he enjoys.
- Has the ability to do well if he does not let others distract him.

Year 6 (10-11): - Easily distracted by friends and can become quite unfocused.
- He is a capable child and with increased concentration and effort could greatly improve his academic achievement.
- He can lack focus in lessons and this is affecting his achievement.

Things took a serious turn for the worst academically in secondary, despite going to a fairly decent school. I found myself distracting people, being silly and/or daydreaming most of the time.

Year 7: missing somewhere.

Year 8 (12-13): He is a likeable and capable student. I have concerns about his attitude to learning and behaviour. His behaviour can be very immature at times, and often chooses the wrong option.
- His report demonstrates that when he tries, he can achieve excellent results.
- Serious concerns for punctuality
- We need to see dramatic improvements very soon or else he risks wasting his significant potential.

- He does have a tendency to occasionally lose focus in class, but this is easily corrected.
- Often slow and reluctant to get started on tasks
- His behaviour has improved however, he still struggles to stay on task the whole lesson.
- Very poor homework record (all lessons)
- He has demonstrated a range of skill but has not made the expected progress due to a lack of effort and lack of focus on the task at hand.
- Must listen when I am explaining and not daydream
- He spends more time doodling or daydreaming than actually completing or starting tasks and not put his hand up for help.

And it just got worse and worse every year until I hit major depression and dropped out in my final sixth form year... You get the point.

Does this sound like ADHD to you? (still affecting me today)
And
What do your reports look like, and is it as confusing as mine because I see more good than bad comments, especially in my primary school reports?
The Following User Says Thank You to Essa96 For This Useful Post:
aeon (01-04-18)
Old 11-22-17, 10:08 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,855 Times in 13,571 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What does your childhood report say about you? (Inattentives)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essa96 View Post
I'm not officially diagnosed yet, but my reports go something like this..

Reception (4-5): Is interested, excited and motivated to learn. Initiates conversations, listens well.
This strikes me as a good thing.

Quote:
Year 1 (5-6) yo: - Enjoys lessons and is usually able to concentrate well.
- His puppet was disappointing as he did not follow his design at all.
- Needs help to keep on task
-Often rather silly and does not concentrate or follow instructions.
This seems age appropriate after all you are agen 5-6.
And the puppet thing? thats creativity IMO.
Quote:
Year 2 (6-7): -Usually listens attentively and enjoys listening to stories.
- Very patient when making models. Is focused and determined to finish off activities.
- Needs to take his time when working independently and not rush his work.
- Enjoys making other children laugh, very popular but sometimes disturbs the class.
I can see the class clown thing but were you getting in trouble with it?

Quote:
year 3 (7-8): - Has tried hard to focus and listen
- Works diligently in most lessons
- At times can be easily distracted by friends, and needs to ensure he doesn't talk when he needs to listen.
I also think this is an combo of being bored and having fun. Have you ever had your IQ tested?

Quote:
Year 5 (9-10): - Tends to panic when needing to use mental strategies and answering questions in a given time.
- Ensure that he edits work carefully
- Finds new concepts difficult, but tries hard to work through his problems
- On occasions he lacks concentration and this affects his work.
- Ensure that he puts best effort into all subjects, and not just the ones he enjoys.
This is where I can see it getting tough. Age appropriate yes but could also be early signs of adhd.

Quote:
Good. This is very good.

Quote:
Year 6 (10-11): - Easily distracted by friends and can become quite unfocused.
- He is a capable child and with increased concentration and effort could greatly improve his academic achievement.
- He can lack focus in lessons and this is affecting his achievement.
It sounds like as the work load got harde you struggled more.

Quote:
Things took a serious turn for the worst academically in secondary, despite going to a fairly decent school. I found myself distracting people, being silly and/or daydreaming most of the time.
Impulsivity and distraction are a major part of adhd and also of not being challenged enough in school.

Quote:
Year 8 (12-13): He is a likeable and capable student. I have concerns about his attitude to learning and behaviour. His behaviour can be very immature at times, and often chooses the wrong option.
- His report demonstrates that when he tries, he can achieve excellent results.
- Serious concerns for punctuality
- We need to see dramatic improvements very soon or else he risks wasting his significant potential.
People with adhd are 30% younger maturity wise than their peers. So may be 12-13 but maturity wise you are more like 10-11. And here we go with the not living up to potential, something we all hear and adopt as personal failures.

Quote:
he does have a tendency to occasionally lose focus in class, but this is easily corrected.
- Often slow and reluctant to get started on tasks
- His behaviour has improved however, he still struggles to stay on task the whole lesson.
You seem to have adhd so of course there is a struggle to stay on task!

Quote:
- Very poor homework record (all lessons)
- He has demonstrated a range of skill but has not made the expected progress due to a lack of effort and lack of focus on the task at hand.
- Must listen when I am explaining and not daydream
- He spends more time doodling or daydreaming than actually completing or starting tasks and not put his hand up for help.
I hate lack of effort as an evaluation. No one knows the amount of actual effort it takes and I feel that this can be a cop out for some teachers.

Quote:
And it just got worse and worse every year until I hit major depression and dropped out in my final sixth form year... You get the point.

Does this sound like ADHD to you? (still affecting me today)
And
What do your reports look like, and is it as confusing as mine because I see more good than bad comments, especially in my primary school reports?
ADHD can have good report comments, in fact a lot of what I call back handed comments. Have you been evaluated or diagnosed?

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Arthos (11-22-17), Essa96 (11-23-17), OyVeyKitty (11-22-17)
Old 11-22-17, 10:24 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 28,309 Times in 13,101 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

It does sound like ADHD
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Essa96 (11-23-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-17, 11:45 AM

OyVeyKitty is a splendid one to beholdOyVeyKitty is a splendid one to beholdOyVeyKitty is a splendid one to beholdOyVeyKitty is a splendid one to beholdOyVeyKitty is a splendid one to beholdOyVeyKitty is a splendid one to beholdOyVeyKitty is a splendid one to beholdOyVeyKitty is a splendid one to behold

I agree with Fuzzy and Sarah. Particularly about the backhanded compliments. We didn't get any actual reports back from the schools I went to, they were all pretty small so teachers had occasional meetings with parents instead. I dreaded those meetings every time...

OK, story time.

Early on in school I got lots of praise and teachers seemed to love my lively personality and creativity. It wasn't a problem then because, well, kids are expected to be a bit unruly. The only problem they had with me in kindergarten was that I would refuse to nap when we were supposed to and I would escape and go on adventures around town if I wasn't watched. Cages are for pet birds.

By the time I went to elementary I had a really nice and patient teacher. We had exotic pets in our class and were encouraged to do creative things all the time so it was actually pretty fun. We got to hang out with the teacher after school and watch movies on her massive plasma TV and play with her two sweet Great Danes. Her husband was a computer and electronics engineer and I loved computers, so he was fun to talk to as well. We had a personal relationship with her and she knew and cared about each and every one of us.

I was able to do well enough in that environment although sitting still was difficult, I actually received school honors and state monetary awards in mathematics and languages. They probably gave me a bit more leeway on my behavior because I did well in school. Then, when I was 9, we moved.

The moment I changed schools, things went south faster than a flock of birds realizing winter had already hit. We moved away from our nice and quiet neighborhood into a very rough inner city type place. Teachers were super strict and creativity and deviating from the norm was not appreciated. It was a punishable offense. Good bye, Brady Bunch life, hello detention and ostracization. I started skipping school and breaking into the school computer labs and other areas because I was bored out of my mind and the other girls would bully me during recess.

I was about 12 when I started drinking, stealing and skipping school and never turned in any homework at all after this point. I went from being considered goofy and maybe a bit wild to being a problem child. A bad human being. I was no saint, but I felt so trapped and different and all the advice I was ever given was to basically stop having ADHD. (Not in those words, of course, but to stop having the symptoms.)

From there things went from bad to worse. I won't go into the details of that here, but suffice it to say I had already accepted that I was a bad person and totally unfit for "normal life" at this point, because that's what I was told all the time. If everyone keeps saying it, it must be so, right? Since I apparently couldn't do "good" properly, I was determined not to fail at doing "bad." It all ended with me barely graduating primary school. I'm pretty sure my teachers just let me graduate because some didn't want to deal with me anymore, while some others surely gave me pity D- grades to allow me to move on.

I wasn't able to go to high school with such a poor GPA, nor did I have any interest in allowing myself to be subject to what amounted to little more than incarceration with bonus physical punishment from bullies. So that's my story. I'm actually really glad we didn't get any report cards.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OyVeyKitty For This Useful Post:
aeon (01-04-18), Essa96 (11-23-17), Fuzzy12 (11-22-17)
Old 11-22-17, 12:47 PM

OyVeyKitty is a splendid one to beholdOyVeyKitty is a splendid one to beholdOyVeyKitty is a splendid one to beholdOyVeyKitty is a splendid one to beholdOyVeyKitty is a splendid one to beholdOyVeyKitty is a splendid one to beholdOyVeyKitty is a splendid one to beholdOyVeyKitty is a splendid one to behold

Oops, I missed the part in the title where it says "inattentives" and that this was posted under the Inattentive ADD sub-forum! I am still being diagnosed, so I don't know which type I have, but will probably end up being combined. So disregard my previous comment.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OyVeyKitty For This Useful Post:
aeon (01-04-18), Essa96 (11-23-17)
Old 11-23-17, 06:03 AM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyVeyKitty View Post
Oops, I missed the part in the title where it says "inattentives" and that this was posted under the Inattentive ADD sub-forum! I am still being diagnosed, so I don't know which type I have, but will probably end up being combined. So disregard my previous comment.
No problem! I found it interesting regardless
Old 11-23-17, 06:09 AM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
This strikes me as a good thing.

This seems age appropriate after all you are agen 5-6.
And the puppet thing? thats creativity IMO.

I can see the class clown thing but were you getting in trouble with it?

I also think this is an combo of being bored and having fun. Have you ever had your IQ tested?

This is where I can see it getting tough. Age appropriate yes but could also be early signs of adhd.

Good. This is very good.

It sounds like as the work load got harde you struggled more.

Impulsivity and distraction are a major part of adhd and also of not being challenged enough in school.

People with adhd are 30% younger maturity wise than their peers. So may be 12-13 but maturity wise you are more like 10-11. And here we go with the not living up to potential, something we all hear and adopt as personal failures.

You seem to have adhd so of course there is a struggle to stay on task!

I hate lack of effort as an evaluation. No one knows the amount of actual effort it takes and I feel that this can be a cop out for some teachers.

ADHD can have good report comments, in fact a lot of what I call back handed comments. Have you been evaluated or diagnosed?
Thank you for the thorough response!

Yeah, I was getting into trouble all the time but I always listened to my teachers and knew my limits, never a rude student with attitude.

And nope, I haven't had my IQ tested... I don't think I would want to know the results. I genuinely don't think i'm smart at all.

I haven't been evaluated yet, I have been referred to see someone but I don't know how long it will take (NHS).

Again, thanks for the detailed response
Old 01-04-18, 10:12 AM
ADDvanced Member

Barbrady1 is on a distinguished road

Although I've been diagnosed with the combined type, I do believe I fit the criteria for either SCT or predominantly inattentive more.

My school reports usually said the same things...

- needs to apply himself more to realise academic potential
- reserved member of the group
- left homework until the last minute
- lack of interest shown in class
- difficulties concentrating

When I come to think of it, the amount of time I have spent staring absently into space is utterly absurd. In another era, I suspect I would have been classified as intellectually impaired due to my 'spacy' nature.

To most people, I must be across between Billy Bob Thornton's character from "The Man Who Wasn't There" and Steve Carrell's character in "Anchorman".
The Following User Says Thank You to Barbrady1 For This Useful Post:
Essa96 (01-04-18)
Old 01-04-18, 11:42 AM

Thanked 13,293 Times in 5,925 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Many of my grade school report cards have some variant of the following:

“Ian is a pleasure to have in class but he daydreams too much.”

My behavior was near-perfect then. Part of that was my compliant, people-pleaser, polite manners side.

The rest was a case of not causing any problems because I wasn’t there (mentally) to cause any.

Cheers,
Ian
Essa96 (01-04-18)
Old 01-04-18, 03:14 PM
ADDvanced Member

Gypsy Willow has a spectacular aura aboutGypsy Willow has a spectacular aura about

I was always in the advanced classes as I made very good grades. As long as things were STRUCTURED!

Usually it was "doesn't always pay close attention" or "she doesn't apply herself enough."

Years later, I found out why.
Old 01-04-18, 05:00 PM

Thanked 24,156 Times in 11,179 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

[Quote ... Essa96]
[/quote]

[Quote ... Sarah]
Good. This is very good.
[/quote]

However if the OP does have ADHD, his ability to not let others distract him
has been impaired and it is not within his ability.

OP ... my own school years are far in the past, and many of the reports my
mother saved were lost in the tornado that destroyed 95% of my home town.
But the records that were recovered show similar comments to yours.

I don't just check off symptoms from one list, but from both lists.
I have combined type adhd. My comments also included not meeting potential
... made it sound like a moral judgment, like I could do that if I wanted to
or was willing to try harder.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me