ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 11-16-17, 08:29 PM

jayroman16 is on a distinguished road
Who is taking Adderall IR?

Several years ago I was taking adderall IR twice a day. I did really well on it. Then I moved out of town and lost my insurance. Then my husband and I started a family. About a year ago, I decided to begin treatment again. It's been really hard finding a doctor to give me what I need.

My current doctor has me on 20mg of adderall XR twice a day, but now my insurance won't pay for 2 capsules a day. Very frustrating. They will pay for adderall IR twice a day, but my doctor won't prescribe it to adults. She'll only prescribe that to kids. She says that it's unethical to prescribe it to adults.

I've been taking the generic and I don't feel that the XR works as well as IR.

Does anyone else or "adult", I should say, take adderall IR?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayroman16 For This Useful Post:
Lash107 (11-27-17), wonderboy (11-16-17)
Old 11-16-17, 10:20 PM
Contributor

wonderboy has a spectacular aura aboutwonderboy has a spectacular aura about
Re: Who is taking Adderall IR?

I would submit an appeal with your insurance company for them to make a
"Quantity Exception"

8 times out of ten, with a statement from your doctor, the insurance company will usually "redetermine" the decision in your favor
Old 11-17-17, 05:26 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,238 Times in 14,917 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayroman16 View Post

My current doctor has me on 20mg of adderall XR twice a day, but now my insurance won't pay for 2 capsules a day. Very frustrating. They will pay for adderall IR twice a day, but my doctor won't prescribe it to adults. She'll only prescribe that to kids. She says that it's unethical to prescribe it to adults.

I've been taking the generic and I don't feel that the XR works as well as IR.

Does anyone else or "adult", I should say, take adderall IR?
Find a new doctor asap because yours is incompetent. Its not unethical. Its unethical that she wont give you the proper treatment. Its unethical that she says she understands adhd and adhd meds and doesnt.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
aeon (12-16-17), chartreuse (12-16-17), rose_nj (11-30-17), Snoopy10 (01-04-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-17, 09:20 AM

Lash107 is on a distinguished road

Yes, I have taken Adderall IR (generic) for several years. My doctor had me try Adderall XR first, but it was wearing off too soon. Same experience with Vyvanse.

There are good psychiatrists out there, some not so good. It sounds like you may need a new doctor.

I’ve been with a great psychiatrist for several years. I’ve found that my describing my symptoms to him and answering his questions is helpful.

I explain how my symptoms are affecting my daily life. That enables him to tweak or change my treatment plan (if needed). Over the years, we’ve come to discuss possible medications as a joint decision, but he gets the final call for the most part. I always have a treatment plan.

Your doctor seems to be unwilling to treat your condition! Unacceptable, IMO.

I hope that you are able to receive the treatment you need. If there is a local support group in your area...you can ask members who their doctor is and you’ll likely learn which doctors are ones to avoid.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lash107 For This Useful Post:
aeon (12-16-17)
Old 11-27-17, 04:23 PM
ADDvanced Member

allesandro1 has a spectacular aura aboutallesandro1 has a spectacular aura about

I do, never heard that it was enethical for a doctor to prescribe it--how does that explain all the adults who are on it?
Old 11-29-17, 06:10 AM
Mod-A-holic

sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I actually take both adderall xr and adderall ir.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 12-16-17, 02:46 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,013 Times in 508 Posts
chartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant future

I wasn't even diagnosed until 2008, at age 40. My doctor had no problem prescribing IR. I went off meds for awhile when I lost insurance, had to go to a new doctor (this was just a few months ago) in a completely different health system when I finally got new insurance, and he had absolutely no problem prescribing IR.

Your doctor is truly clueless and if I were you I would file complaint against her; she's letting her personal beliefs interfere with practicing good medicine.
Old 12-16-17, 05:11 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

IR is viewed in the medical community as more prone to being abused than XR. For young kids, it's often not an issue since their medicine is administered by adults.

Insurance doesn't want to cover XR because it's expensive, and its effects can be cheaply replicated by just taking several small IR doses spread over a period of time.
The Following User Says Thank You to CharlesH For This Useful Post:
aeon (12-16-17)
Old 12-17-17, 01:04 PM
Jr Member

Flarewind is on a distinguished road

I take 3 ir a day and I'm a college student the most "abuse prone" demographic out there. But as others have said submit an appeal to your insurance or switch doctors, but the first one is more likely to work because doctors are really antsy about ir stimulants nowadays.
Old 12-30-17, 12:56 AM

KariFaith has disabled reputation

I'm an adult and take IR, Teva manufacturer. Slightly better focus but oh am I sleepy. Today was my first day to take Teva. I hope tomorrow is better.

"My comfort in my suffering is this: your promise preserves my life."💛 (Psalm 119:50)

My ever-growing list🖊📋 (takes deep breath)...
Anxiety, depression, insomnia, CFS, ADD, panic disorder

🐾I am the cat lady your mother warned you about 🐾
Old 12-30-17, 02:38 AM
Mod-A-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KariFaith View Post
I'm an adult and take IR, Teva manufacturer. Slightly better focus but oh am I sleepy. Today was my first day to take Teva. I hope tomorrow is better.
What is your dose and dosing schedule?

I carried a watermelon?
Old 01-04-18, 12:54 AM

Question Re: Who is taking Adderall IR?

20 mg. 2x day.

My 2nd day was worse on Teva, felt like I took Nyquil 🤤

Got Costco to source a 5 day supply and order Sandoz for me, and my psy sent the rx over. Picked it up this morning, and I don't think it's speedy at all. I felt calm, focused, and didn't need a nap! (I'm the nap princess so this was very impressive). Got my work done and all, at a normal pace and didn't go bonkers.

Soooo my vote is Sandoz... but I worry...now that I've found what works for me, reading suspicions of Sandoz possibly going away, I am now thinking, just my luck - the one mfr that works is flying the coop someday.
Sigh.
Sorry for the late reply. I didn't get a notify 😣 I fixed it 💪💪

"My comfort in my suffering is this: your promise preserves my life."💛 (Psalm 119:50)

Old 01-04-18, 12:59 AM

By the way I took my 1st dose on an empty tummy at 10:45am, and my 2nd dose also on empty tummy at 3:30. I didn't eat or drink anything for an hour after just to make sure it's not diluted.

Old 01-04-18, 09:08 AM
ADDvanced Member

Snoopy10 will become famous soon enough

Did Jayroman ever get his/her XR issue sorted? Why are doctors so weird, unethical? That doctor is unethical!

This thread has gone of course but since I was reading through....is it better to take Adderall with or without food? I thought it was with.
Old 01-04-18, 11:04 AM

With or without food, depending if it upsets your stomach. My psy said a little protein like cheese would be fine. But I have a malabsorption problem from stomach surgery so ingested things don't stay in me near as long anymore. So for me, I wanted to get as much absorbed as I could.