ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Dexedrine/Dextrostat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Dexedrine/Dextrostat (dextroamphetamine)

Old 10-20-13, 06:13 AM
ADDvanced Member

Wookiee has a spectacular aura aboutWookiee has a spectacular aura about
Adult Dexamphetamine dosages Australia

Hi
I was diagnosed A.D.D about 2 years ago.

First put on Ritalin which made me have outbursts of anger and elevated blood pressure.

Since then I have been put on Dexamphetamine.
When I first started it was 2x 5mg tablets in the morning and 1 at lunchtime and the doctor told me to slowly up the dosage every few days by 1 pill morning and 1 lunchtime until I felt the dosage was right.

When I went back to him I told him that I felt the best dosage was 5x 5mg in the morning and 4x at lunch. I was then told that the maximum dosage was 30mg or 3x morning and 3x lunchtime.
I am 6 foot 6 (198cm) tall and weigh roughly 115kg and this he took into account and I now take 4x 5mg morning and 4x 5mg lunchtime.

Completely changed my life! I could function as I never have been able to and I wish I had known about the ADD at school.

This worked fine for the first 6 months or so, but now the inattentiveness is back and so are all my other ADD symptoms. Not as bad as when I am not on the meds, but still not what I consider the right dose.

Is there another medication (besides Ritalin!) that may work better for me?

If not am I stuck being what I consider "half" ADD for the rest of my life.
I mentioned the above to my psychiatrist, but he says I am just not getting the slight "euphoric" feeling and this is what is causing me to think I am not taking enough... The only time I have ever felt anything on Dex was the one time I accidentally double dosed my morning pills. And even that was more of a slight restlesness than any sort of euphoric feeling or what I would call a drug "high"

Anyone else in the same boat in Australia?
The Following User Says Thank You to Wookiee For This Useful Post:
Billy wood add (07-23-14)
Old 10-22-13, 03:06 AM
ADDvanced Member

Re: Adult Dexamphetamine dosages Australia

Ok I see the contraversy in the above post.

I dont want any sort of "high" or euphoric feeling. I guess I just dont feel the Dex is helping me as well as it was.

I was told there is another medication available in Australia besides Ritalin or Dexamphetamine for ADD, but its only usually prescribed to children and used as a last resort for adults.

I cant remember the name of it. But perhaps this might be better suited to me?

"I prefer to distinguish ADD as attention abundance disorder. Everything is just so interesting . . . remarkably at the same time. Frank Coppola, MA, ODC, ACG
Old 10-22-13, 03:17 AM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,967 Times in 9,011 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

Your size is not important - it's the state of your brain & body chemistry that determines your dosage.

If this medication is kind of working but not enough, I would not be in favour of changing it unless there was really absolutely no way that you could increase the dosage. In general, if it's kind of working, then don't rock the boat.
The Following User Says Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
Wookiee (10-22-13)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-13, 03:46 AM
mod-estly regulated

Thanked 5,447 Times in 2,992 Posts
someothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond repute

The other one is strattera, costs a fortune if you didnt get it as a kid. Some pdoxs use this as a first line cause its less restricted than stims. Some like it, others dont. Personally, I found it excellent for the first three months except for some breid afternoon irratability in some days. I felt it was a little more "steady" or "aware than the dex after dex works its way in. Dex is more of an activation or "do" med

I think all of us get that drop in the initial clarity levels. I'd try as much behavioral stuff as you can before jumpin ship.
~ SB_UK ~
The Following User Says Thank You to someothertime For This Useful Post:
Wookiee (10-22-13)
Old 10-22-13, 10:19 AM
ADDvanced Member

You are both right.

I have been reading up on ADD and I dont think I am doing enough therapy.

Also feel like I am heading for another one of my depressive cycles. So I guess this could be effecting the meds effect or counter-acting it in another way.

Thanks

"I prefer to distinguish ADD as attention abundance disorder. Everything is just so interesting . . . remarkably at the same time. Frank Coppola, MA, ODC, ACG
The Following User Says Thank You to Wookiee For This Useful Post:
someothertime (10-22-13)
Old 10-22-13, 10:29 AM
mod-estly regulated

Thanked 5,447 Times in 2,992 Posts
someothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I thought i'd had one o those cycles in the last 4 months.

It's taken that long to notice;

a) I dropped exercise
b) I stopped doing so many new things / interacting with people
c) I expected too much from myself with little downtime
etc.
etc.
etc.

Point is, be VERY, VERY systematic in your analysis. There can be so many teeny, teeny factors that combine / contribute and we simply do not notice their effect.

Also, be VERY VERY forgiving and accommodating to yourself.
~ SB_UK ~
The Following User Says Thank You to someothertime For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (03-08-14)
Old 10-22-13, 11:13 AM
ADDvanced Member

Before medication I would do a slow gradual descent into depression. This time is seems to be happening much faster.

I got to know a couple of years ago that if I was working at the time I would take a sick day maybe once or twice in 6 months then start having a day off here and there and it would become more and more frequent til I bombed completely.

I just took a week off work and feel really bad for letting the crew down.

Back to work tomorrow so gotta toughen up haha

Old 12-16-13, 07:47 AM

LANVIN is on a distinguished road

It is actually possible and legal to be prescribed above the regular 30mg per day maximum dosage, however it's a bit of a process. Your psychiatrist is required to forward a comprehensive clinical report and management plan including history, assessment, diagnosis, current severity of symptoms, incidence of any co-morbidity and potential risks and benefits of psychostimulant therapy to the NSW Health . Along with a written application for authority to prescribe, which also must be supported in writing by a detailed second opinion from an independent psychiatrist (e.g. psychiatrist from a different practice). Meaning your psychiatrist is first required to refer you to another independent psychiatrist for a full initial consult etc in order to obtain a second opinion as to whether or not a higher dose above 30mg is required/necessary. After this has been sent off and received at the other end it is then in the hands of The Medical Officer at the Pharmaceutical Services Branch to review/approve/deny the application. If approved your psychiatrist will then receive an individual authority number to write a script prescribing the higher dosage.
Could be completely different in Western Australia though :/
Just don't ever move interstate! :P I moved from Sydney to Melbourne at the end of July to study and it was a 3month long nightmare before I finally got my regular dex script written by a new psychiatrist down here all thanks to the different state rules & regulations.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LANVIN For This Useful Post:
amberwillow (12-16-13), Billy wood add (07-23-14), Pilgrim (06-10-14), someothertime (12-16-13), Wookiee (06-03-14)
Old 12-18-13, 08:43 AM

Paddles is on a distinguished road

30 mg day? Seems a pretty high dose. Sorry to drop in late with a comment but another ADD med that's tried sometimes if you're not a candidate for Dex is Edronax. Its one hell of a wierd med that is supposed to do something for ADHD but I've never heard of a good outcome. Maybe Modavigil (works ok)? and it can lift a bit of the depression that comes along with ADD. Modavigil seems to have fallen out of favour but your pdoc will probably be able to prescribe it. From my experience you can't go past Dex. It sorts out your ADD like nothing else and its very safe (under supervision), and its quite inexpensive compared to the others.
Old 12-19-13, 11:47 AM
Contributor

Sickle is a jewel in the roughSickle is a jewel in the roughSickle is a jewel in the rough

Check for a CYP something liver enzyme genetic test. I take an outrageous dose (20-35 mg 4-6 times a day depending on the brand it is) and my liver has some mutation that causes me to burn it too fast. I actually had the test done and I am glad I did too because I knew I wasn't having the usual issues because I was sensitized to other aspects of it (thinking impulses through but got more hyper for a couple hours. The brands in the states to me feel different because of the different fillers, one brand is soft and the other you can't cut in half.

Look into that. Well, unless you are not feeling them at all anymore, then who knows? I just have very limited timing and my labs show that my blood level is at the same range as someone on a lower dose... I have been on it since I was 5 and I am hyperactive too so, that quiet, zombie feel isnt a thrill to me since I get relaxed and lazy.
Old 12-21-13, 04:01 AM

gypsyrose is on a distinguished road

Everyone's different, I have a naturally high tolerance to most medication, am prescribed 40mg a day which I believe is that highest legal dosage in Aus? Don't quote me, I think that's what it was last time I checked. I've built such a tolerance to it despite not taking taking it everyday and taking short breaks when I don't have much on at uni, but still I take a great deal more than most would expect from a 52kg female. I certainly don't take it recreationally or try to get high from it as even when it is working, it usually calms me to the point of wanting to nap.

Anyway, I digress, you've probably already heard by now, but Vyvanse is now available in Aus, it's available in 10mg and it's slow release. Same mechanism as dex, so should work no differently. Not on the PBS as yet, but will be very soon. Unsure of the restrictions, but if you are anything like me, you should probably give it a go as it may give you more than an hour or so of quality focus time...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gypsyrose For This Useful Post:
Billy wood add (07-23-14), Pilgrim (06-10-14), Wookiee (06-03-14)
Old 12-21-13, 04:41 PM

ADno46 is on a distinguished road

Diagnosed recently with ADD and started 25mg dex yesterday and it didn't do anything at all....
Never had a stimulant b4, except caffeine but I have tried every anti-depressant on the market except Nardil and they did nothing for me either. I max dose on all of them and was on for 3 months. It's like these medications don't get to my brain....
Benzos only medication i notice an effect on, good for anxiety but make depression worse. I cold turkey off all my medications in the past because it feels like i am literally taking nothing. Ten years and thousands of dollars wasted trying to find a answer and I really though dex would help, fmd
Yesterday i was hoping to be able to do reading or even stuff like clean the house but i was still not able to get off couch. Everything is such a big effort. I don't even have energy to construct this post properly hehe
Oh I do have one thing that completely cures me, alcohol. I haven't drank since i started dex tho
The Following User Says Thank You to ADno46 For This Useful Post:
Pilgrim (06-10-14)
Old 03-08-14, 11:48 PM

Thanked 1,348 Times in 555 Posts
InvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADno46 View Post
Diagnosed recently with ADD and started 25mg dex yesterday and it didn't do anything at all....
Never had a stimulant b4, except caffeine but I have tried every anti-depressant on the market except Nardil and they did nothing for me either. I max dose on all of them and was on for 3 months. It's like these medications don't get to my brain....
Benzos only medication i notice an effect on, good for anxiety but make depression worse. I cold turkey off all my medications in the past because it feels like i am literally taking nothing. Ten years and thousands of dollars wasted trying to find a answer and I really though dex would help, fmd
Yesterday i was hoping to be able to do reading or even stuff like clean the house but i was still not able to get off couch. Everything is such a big effort. I don't even have energy to construct this post properly hehe
Oh I do have one thing that completely cures me, alcohol. I haven't drank since i started dex tho
25mgs as one dose is a horrible starting dose. You should actually start at 2.5mgs day 1. I know they say 5mgs for adults but some people respond better at 2.5mgs and it's better to start as low as you can.

Generally move up as fast as your doctor tells you, if he tells you to just play around with it than try going up by 2.5 every day as that was what my doc had me do. The key is to adjust down when the initial side effects are intolerable. Anxiety, hyperfocus, sleepy etc etc

25mgs will make anyone tired, it makes me tired if I take that much.

The meds act as reinforcers, they don't generally give motivation as people expect. The way adhd works typically, is shown in pet scan studies. For normals, their brains are switch boards, one area lights up when they focus on something and the other areas dim. For adhd this doesnt happen, so what happens? Because nothing dims we get dispersed focus on 2 or more things at once which exhausts the executive function. You can't plan anything if your brain has several things going on at once. These meds dim the areas that should dim when you go to focus and brighten the areas that are being used. You talk to someone, you are using the areas of the brain for conversation alone, you do math, you use that area alone etc.

Now the problem is, if psychologically you habitually watch tv and take these meds, what happens? Well it reinforces that behavior. Now this is where adderall is sometimes superior. It induces the will as well as reinforces the behavior with the added levo amph component. This is why it's so popular. However if you already have the will and motivation but have attentional deficits than dexedrine is the med for you. For the other group with zero will and no attention span, they would in theory do best on adderall and hyperfocus horribly of dexedrine.

Hopefully that clears up the confusion. Oh yes and if you take too much you over dim things too much and what happens? You get tired, zombified, unfocused, etc.

So again reinforcers, not stimulants as we might think.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to InvitroCanibal For This Useful Post:
ADno46 (03-11-14), Wookiee (06-03-14)
Old 04-06-14, 07:31 AM
Jr Member

sinkko is on a distinguished road

this is interesting

when i was on dex i sometimes felt that kind of feeling of well being/happiness (maybe slightly euphoric?) which i figured meant i was taking too much

i could never find a dose that had any positive affects before i got to that feeling i had probably taken too much so i gave up on it

can anyone comment on this? is that feeling a part of it or should you not notice anything like that if you are taking a correct dose?

thanks guys
Old 04-07-14, 12:38 AM

ADno46 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkko View Post
this is interesting

when i was on dex i sometimes felt that kind of feeling of well being/happiness (maybe slightly euphoric?) which i figured meant i was taking too much

i could never find a dose that had any positive affects before i got to that feeling i had probably taken too much so i gave up on it

can anyone comment on this? is that feeling a part of it or should you not notice anything like that if you are taking a correct dose?

thanks guys
Recently I private messaged some long term dex users on here about the " mood lift " that I was getting and if they found it a permanent thing and they said they still got it after being on dex for a long time.