ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Dexedrine/Dextrostat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Dexedrine/Dextrostat (dextroamphetamine)

Old 12-18-17, 02:11 PM

kurwazajebista is on a distinguished road
Headaches developed after 3 months of use?

Hello,

I've been diagnosed around 6 months ago. I trialed Ritalin for a few days (too much anxiety) and Vyvanse for a month (debilitating migraines) before I was put on Dextroamphetamine.

At first it worked great. I had the usual side effects of dehydration, suppressed hunger, etc, but they didn't bother me at all. My motivation, focus and productivity all improved.

However, a few month in now and I'm finding myself dealing with 'rebound'. When the medication starts wearing off in the afternoon and evening, I start getting similar headaches that I got with Vyvanse. They get so bad that I can barely function.
Strangely, my other side effects of dehydration and suppressed hunger barely register anymore. Could this be because I've developed a tolerance?

I was taking two 5mg tablets at 8am and 12pm (max 20mg a day). Now with these headaches, I take only one 5mg in the morning. It's barely enough to keep the worst of the noise and overwhelming feelings away and I still get faint headaches.

I eat regular balanced meals, drink plenty of water, take Omega 3, magnesium, exercise to try and help the headaches. Looking for another perspective.

Is it normal for some side effects to disappear with adjustment whilst other side effects appear?

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-19-17, 08:21 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,860 Times in 1,180 Posts
Pilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud of
Re: Headaches developed after 3 months of use?

Side effects will change. In regards to this other issue I think there are a number of things. I’m not a dr but your dose could be to high and change your dosing times. But I wouldn’t do anything. Make sure you have plenty of water and nutrients on board. I get like this a it, try to be alone and some aspirin or something.
Old 12-22-17, 04:18 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,451 Times in 14,479 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

How is your water and food intake?

I carried a watermelon?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-17, 10:08 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,350 Times in 781 Posts
Little Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud of

Hi Kurwa, I paraphrased your OP for my own clarification. Pls correct if I got it wrong. Also, in my case starting out on a different prescription, I would get my Doctor's approval prior to adjusting my dosing. Normally we agree on how much latitude I have at the time he writes the prescription and we discuss side effects and appropriate responses.
  • You started taking Dex a couple of months back.
  • 10mg - 8AM and 10mg - Noon.
  • Your symptom treatment was good w/ minimal acceptable side effects.
  • Recently you started experiencing serious headaches prior to your 2nd dose and at the end of the 2nd dose's effects.
  • You lowered the first dose to 5mg. It reduced the severity of the headaches, but some symptoms were not effectively being treated.

"Is it normal for some side effects to disappear with adjustment whilst other side effects appear?"

In general yes. I always looked at it as your body tries to compensate for the meds and it takes several weeks to come to a new equilibrium. Whenever I make a change to dosage or frequency I wait 2-3 weeks before evaluating the change.

As to headaches, the issue may be that 10mg doses may be too high FOR YOU or that dosing every 4 hours may be too long FOR YOU. In any event you need to dose enough to treat your symptoms and 5 mg seems to be too low to do this FOR YOU. I would talk to your Doc about changing your dosage to 7.5 mg (pill-splitting time) at 8AM and noon. If you and your Doc feel 10mg is not too much FOR YOU, then maybe try changing to 8AM and 11:30AM.

I had similar problems if my dosing frequency was too long. (I would get good symptom treatment, but I would start to get headaches, symptom issues, &/or a little hungry just before the next dose.) I cut my frequency by 30 minutes and waited a couple weeks to evaluate. It corrected the problem without new/worsened side effects.

HTH, -LN