ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Ritalin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ritalin (methylphenidate)

Old 06-29-05, 10:54 AM

murried2 is on a distinguished road
Can you take ritalin after eating?

Sorry to keep asking so many questions.

Can you take Ritalin after you've eaten? I know that it's best to take it 30-45 mins before eating but I'm wondering what happens if you forget to take it and take it 30-35 mins after eating.

Any experience ?

Old 06-29-05, 11:36 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

UnleashTheHound will become famous soon enough
It won't hurt you, but it may not be as effective.
Old 06-29-05, 12:02 PM

Thanks! That's exactly what I needed to know.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-05, 12:12 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Location: In a cynical state of mind where mankind fails to impress
FightingBoredom will become famous soon enough
Murried2, Ask ALL of the quesiton you need. This forum is here to ask every question you want.

I have taken it with and without food and don't really notice any difference. Maybe that's because I've been on it for so long.

Since meds affect everyone uniquely, I'd suggest that as you keep your meds diary log the times you take it with food and whether you feel the full effect.

I know that my ADD type and metabolism work better on lots of protein. So, I eat lots of protein and when I say that I eat and take the Ritalin it's typically a protein meal.

I would imagine if the food was high in carbs I would feel less effect.....but that's due to the way my body reacts to carbs more than anything Ritalin fails to do.
our "higher" selves.
I just hope I can remember that I came to this realization!

And I'm sick of giving people advice. They don't listen. They don't really want to deal with their issues. They just want to whine and complain and have someone else listen and tell them everything is going to be OK!

Well, everything is NOT going to be OK unless you learn to handle whatever comes your way.
Old 07-05-05, 09:11 PM
ADDvanced Member

LittleD1981 is on a distinguished road
My experience has been that it's not as effective if I take it right after eating, or eat right after I take it. I wait either to take it an hour before eating or an hour after and it seems to still work fine.

"Dana is making good academic progress at this time. She needs to settle down, listen better, and be neater at all times."--comment from kindergarten teacher

"Dana is doing well academically. Socially she needs to settle down and worry about herself more and others less."--comment from 1st grade teacher
Old 07-06-05, 12:09 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,784 Times in 1,933 Posts
Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute
Murried2,

Information varies, depending upon the source. I was originally told to take Ritalin one hour before or thirty minutes after meals. If GI upsets occur, take Ritalin with food.

Probably the best way to find out is to try taking it at different times, with or without food and see what works for you.

Phaedrus

Old 07-06-05, 10:24 AM
ADDvanced Member

LittleD1981 is on a distinguished road
BTW Amanda, you have a VERY cute cat! I have 3 myself...hehehe.

"Dana is making good academic progress at this time. She needs to settle down, listen better, and be neater at all times."--comment from kindergarten teacher

"Dana is doing well academically. Socially she needs to settle down and worry about herself more and others less."--comment from 1st grade teacher
Old 07-06-05, 12:01 PM

Thanks Dana! She's actually 1 of 7 cats. I also have 2 dogs.