ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 01-17-18, 04:30 PM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 13,183 Times in 6,532 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute
Recovery...what's it mean to you?

So I need to write up a bit on what recovery means to me when it comes to my own mental health for a new group I'm in.
Thing is...Is I guess I've never really thought much about it specifically over the years. I don't really know what it is, what it means, or what it looks like.

A couple of basic definitions for recovery include:

'A return to a normal state.'

And...

'Regaining procession or control over something.'

Maybe hearing what some of you have to say about recovery will help me get my own brain up and running.
I need to have some thoughts about it presentable by tomorrow morning.

(((Hugs)))

((((((((((((((MOM))))))))))))))
I'll always fondly remember.

Old 01-17-18, 04:32 PM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 21,120 Times in 12,430 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Recovery...what's it mean to you?

My definition would be something like "feeling better"
Ebony (1st January 2014 - current)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm
"You pushed me this far now I'm pushing you the rest of the way. You know even when things were really bad I always believed we'd make it because in fact you were too stubborn to quit." Chance - Homeward Bound
The Following User Says Thank You to midnightstar For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (01-17-18)
Old 01-17-18, 06:06 PM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Thanked 17,782 Times in 8,897 Posts
Unmanagable has disabled reputation

For me, it's meant unlearning then re-learning exactly how I actually work from the inside out, and how all the things I'm connected to work, too, pretty much, as I was taught grossly incomplete/inaccurate info growing up, and then actively doing what it takes to make my external and internal environment more user-friendly to help me keep up with my discoveries.

In other words, I have had to "dis-cover" in order to "re-cover" the most basic of things like nurturing, self-care, and self-love to be able to put actual healing things into play healthily, though, since I also never had good role models to demonstrate such. Prior to that, it felt like I was sinking fast and was steadily being handed cinder blocks by the very folks designated to help me.

Based on my personal experiences and list of issues, I now see recovery as an everyday process, not a one time, random, or even short-term deal as I was initially taught to believe for much of my life. I've learned each choice I make and thought I think can very easily make or break whatever progress I manage to make.

It's taken a lifetime to become this "unwell", be it by how I was simply born, by the hands of others, or by my own poor and misguided choices. I finally feel empowered enough to give myself the time, effort, and patience to make my living conditions within my own skin better, to the best of my abilities.

Along with accepting help from the amazing village of helpers/supporters/encouragers I'm fortunate to have in my life. Each time I fail at caring for self adequately, it gives me yet another chance to get back up and recover again...and again...and again.

"You torment yourself wondering how they could not love your burning heart. And the answer darling, you are not the star you thought you were. You are the f******g universe and not everybody is an astronaut." ~Unknown
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unmanagable For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (01-18-18), psychopathetic (01-18-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-18, 07:06 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 24,426 Times in 11,330 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

I believe I was born with most of my mental health issues ... all but PTSD.
Of course, that one makes the rest of them worse.

I will never meet the general definition of 'normal.'
So I have to remember that 'recovery' means what is normal for me.
Treatment means learning to manage my mental health issues.

I don't see that as being negative or self-sabotaging.
It means having realistic expectations because I'm tired of feeling bad
or guilt-tripping myself because I am not 'normal' and I never have been.

edited to add: I really like that they are asking each of you what you
think and expect for 'recovery' instead of telling you want it means to
them and wanting you to meet their expectations.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (01-18-18)
Old 01-18-18, 04:43 AM

psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

... ... ...
... ... ...

Oh! Hey guys!
One second...

... ... ... ... ...
... ... ... ... ... ... ...
... ... ... ..

"
...because I'm tired of feeling bad
or guilt-tripping myself..."

... ...
Almost done copying down the last sentence...

... ... ...
... ... ... AND
... ...
DONE!

Thanks for doing my homework for me guys!!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (01-18-18)
Old 01-18-18, 04:50 AM

lol just kidding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightstar View Post
My definition would be something like "feeling better"
I like this cause it's so simple. haha I so often try to over complicate things and I want big elaborate explanations of everything...when really, at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter. And isn't that the ultimate goal in life? To just feel better?

(((Midsy)))

Last edited by psychopathetic; 01-18-18 at 05:12 AM..
Lunacie (01-18-18)
Old 01-18-18, 04:52 AM

Thanked 28,719 Times in 13,280 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopathetic View Post
... ... ...
... ... ...

Oh! Hey guys!
One second...

... ... ... ... ...
... ... ... ... ... ... ...
... ... ... ..

"
...because I'm tired of feeling bad
or guilt-tripping myself..."

... ...
Almost done copying down the last sentence...

... ... ...
... ... ... AND
... ...
DONE!

Thanks for doing my homework for me guys!!!!

Recovery from what?

Do they mean recovery as in "when would you consider your condition to be successfully managed?"

If that's the question then I guess it would be when I felt that I was capable of managing my day to day life at home, at work and even found time energy and motivation to pursue my passions.

(Can you still call something a passion when you spend hours reading readers' comments on new sites rather than..pursuing your passion???)
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-18, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsy-Un-Uns View Post
For me, it's meant unlearning then re-learning exactly how I actually work from the inside out, and how all the things I'm connected to work, too, pretty much, as I was taught grossly incomplete/inaccurate info growing up, and then actively doing what it takes to make my external and internal environment more user-friendly to help me keep up with my discoveries.
haha jeeze...how long did it take you to type this sentence up? It's VERY well worded and I love the last 2 words you used here! Hehe I think you are so neat and amazing .

Quote:
In other words, I have had to "dis-cover" in order to "re-cover" the most basic of things like nurturing, self-care, and self-love to be able to put actual healing things into play healthily, though, since I also never had good role models to demonstrate such. Prior to that, it felt like I was sinking fast and was steadily being handed cinder blocks by the very folks designated to help me.
Quote:
Based on my personal experiences and list of issues, I now see recovery as an everyday process, not a one time, random, or even short-term deal as I was initially taught to believe for much of my life.
I've never stopped to think about this, but...yeah.
I guess in the back of my mind I always thought that "recovery" would be a process that'd take a certain amount of time but then at some point I'd be past recovery...and then be "recovered". It was a black and white kind of thing. Recovery. Recovered. But maybe recovery never really ends...it's a process I work with each day to help keep me going.
...maybe this isn't what you meant by what you wrote here? lol...it's where my mind decided to go when I read it the first time though.

Quote:
I've learned each choice I make and thought I think can very easily make or break whatever progress I manage to make.

It's taken a lifetime to become this "unwell", be it by how I was simply born, by the hands of others, or by my own poor and misguided choices. I finally feel empowered enough to give myself the time, effort, and patience to make my living conditions within my own skin better, to the best of my abilities.

Along with accepting help from the amazing village of helpers/supporters/encouragers I'm fortunate to have in my life. Each time I fail at caring for self adequately, it gives me yet another chance to get back up and recover again...and again...and again.
This was a great read...thank you Unsy!

Unmanagable (01-18-18)
Old 01-18-18, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvly-Lunsy View Post
I believe I was born with most of my mental health issues ... all but PTSD.
Of course, that one makes the rest of them worse.

I will never meet the general definition of 'normal.'
So I have to remember that 'recovery' means what is normal for me.
Treatment means learning to manage my mental health issues.

I don't see that as being negative or self-sabotaging.
Quote:
It means having realistic expectations because I'm tired of feeling bad
or guilt-tripping myself because I am not 'normal' and I never have been.
Omg these are both VERY big things for me. Both the "realistic expectations" but also the whole 'feeling bad because I am not 'normal'. Man...that one's a BIG one for me. I'm SO hard on myself for not being more "normal".

Quote:
edited to add: I really like that they are asking each of you what you
think and expect for 'recovery' instead of telling you want it means to
them and wanting you to meet their expectations.
Thank you Lun Luns! (((((((Lunsy)))))))

Lunacie (01-18-18)
Old 01-18-18, 05:43 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 30,231 Times in 13,787 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

One thing about recovery is that its an ongoing process. You dont get to an end point as "recovered" you have to have continuous action to maintain it.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (01-18-18), psychopathetic (01-18-18)
Old 01-18-18, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz-Wuzzy View Post
Recovery from what?

Do they mean recovery as in "when would you consider your condition to be successfully managed?"
Yes, I think this is what they mean by recovery. Recovery of mental illness.

Quote:
If that's the question then I guess it would be when I felt that I was capable of managing my day to day life at home, at work and even found time energy and motivation to pursue my passions.
Very well put

Quote:
(Can you still call something a passion when you spend hours reading readers' comments on new sites rather than..pursuing your passion???)
Absolutely

(((((((Fuzz)))))))

Old 01-18-18, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
One thing about recovery is that its an ongoing process. You dont get to an end point as "recovered" you have to have continuous action to maintain it.
Yeah.

It's not like it's a black and white thing. You spend a time in "recovery" recovering...and then suddenly at some point emerge as "recovered" and ready to move on with life lol.

Like Unsy said above, it's something that needs to be worked on daily.

Old 01-18-18, 06:01 AM

Thanked 28,719 Times in 13,280 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unmanagable View Post

Based on my personal experiences and list of issues, I now see recovery as an everyday process, not a one time, random, or even short-term deal as I was initially taught to believe for much of my life. I've learned each choice I make and thought I think can very easily make or break whatever progress I manage to make.

I think this makes a lot of sense and ultimately is probably what everyone should be doing. I mean this journey of self discovery and finding out how you can nurture yourself and that which is important to you.

Sigh..it just sounds like so much work and effort..

Perhaps starting this process signals that you have recovered (or you have jumped on the recovery wagon..)
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-18, 07:38 AM

Thanked 24,426 Times in 11,330 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-18, 09:38 AM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Thanked 17,782 Times in 8,897 Posts
Unmanagable has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
I think this makes a lot of sense and ultimately is probably what everyone should be doing. I mean this journey of self discovery and finding out how you can nurture yourself and that which is important to you.

Sigh..it just sounds like so much work and effort..

Perhaps starting this process signals that you have recovered (or you have jumped on the recovery wagon..)
It is indeed the hardest work I've ever done/attempted to do for myself/with myself....along with the help of many others along the way as the various processes continue to grow along.

Equally, the efforts of that ongoing daily hard work has warranted more helpful results than I've ever experienced in any other "helpful" arenas I've desperately sought help in, as well.

If I weren't seeing/feeling substantial results, I'd likely never be able to keep up with the daily efforts.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I suck at using the multi-quote tool thingy...the italicized content below was copied and pasted but originally said by psych:

haha jeeze...how long did it take you to type this sentence up? It's VERY well worded and I love the last 2 words you used here! Hehe I think you are so neat and amazing .

Didn't take long to type it, but took 50 years to learn the whole concept and put it into action.

I've never stopped to think about this, but...yeah.
I guess in the back of my mind I always thought that "recovery" would be a process that'd take a certain amount of time but then at some point I'd be past recovery...and then be "recovered". It was a black and white kind of thing. Recovery. Recovered. But maybe recovery never really ends...it's a process I work with each day to help keep me going.
...maybe this isn't what you meant by what you wrote here? lol...it's where my mind decided to go when I read it the first time though.

It's exactly what I meant. There is no finish line to cross to get a blue ribbon/gold star/whatever they hand out signifying "You've made it!" and then be done with it, that I've found.

Every day is a new chance...a new present to open, so to speak....conscious and aware daily presence that allows one to actively nurture self truly is a present. The best one I've found/received/given to myself and others, that's for sure, although some still wish to return it as it wasn't at all what they expected.

Glad you enjoyed the read, thanks for your kind words, and I hope you've found the definition that jives with your flow and feels right for you. Best wishes for a helpful, healing, and productive group today! Hugs!

"You torment yourself wondering how they could not love your burning heart. And the answer darling, you are not the star you thought you were. You are the f******g universe and not everybody is an astronaut." ~Unknown
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unmanagable For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (01-18-18), stef (01-18-18)