ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 01-19-18, 12:45 AM

drea30 is on a distinguished road
Disability Tax Credit

So I am new to the forum but I am looking for personal experiences that families have had from applying for the Disability tax credit for their ADHD child.

My husband and I are at odds. Our daughter is severe ADHD and our Doctor has suggested that we apply for this Tax credit. It didn't even occur to us to do anything of the sort. So here is our dilemma.

Will it damage her future in any way by "labeling" her and having it in government files that she is ADHD? Will it impede job/schooling opportunities? OR would it be a benefit to her to have this "labelled" and give her opportunities that would otherwise have been unattainable?

Has anyone had personal experience (both negative or positive) that would help us in making this decision?

TIA
The Following User Says Thank You to drea30 For This Useful Post:
namazu (01-19-18)
Old 01-19-18, 12:50 AM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 19,660 Times in 9,832 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Disability Tax Credit

[Heads-up to would-be posters: the OP is in Canada, so experiences seeking government-sponsored disability funds in the US aren't relevant here. Canadians, carry on! ]
Old 01-19-18, 08:36 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Caco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to all
Re: Disability Tax Credit

Thanks Namazu, I was going through in my head all the years I have missed this deduction, lol!

Drea30, while I am not in Canada I have to say I would have no problem applying for this. To me it comes down to this....the tax credit was likely created for people who have extra expenses due to a disabled child. Do YOU have extra expenses due to a disabled child? If the answer is yes I don't see why you wouldn't apply.

As for her being labeled by the government....I would suspect Canada has laws that prohibit your disclosing of her condition being counted against her in any way.
The Following User Says Thank You to Caco3girl For This Useful Post:
drea30 (01-19-18)
Sponsored Links