ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Inattentive ADD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Inattentive ADD A forum set aside for the the discussion of inattention and inattentive ADD

Old 01-20-18, 06:07 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,111 Times in 837 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation
SCT is ADD (aka, ADHD-PI).

Quote:
(1:28) “You may have been calling them ADD or inattentive ADHD, but the research term....is sluggish cognitive tempo”

SCT is the “research term” for ADD (aka, ADHD-PI).

mildadhd
Batman55 (01-21-18)
Old 01-20-18, 10:20 PM
ADDvanced Member

allesandro1 has a spectacular aura aboutallesandro1 has a spectacular aura about
Re: SCT is ADD (aka, ADHD-PI).

I'm not so sure. I think Barkely is motivated perhaps by his suggestion that Strattera may be helpful may be motivated by big pharma money(Lilly)
Old 01-20-18, 11:21 PM

Thanked 14,494 Times in 6,475 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

I was diagnosed ADHD-PI, but for sure, I don't match the descriptions of SCT.

Maybe SCT will be a diagnosis someday.

Cheers,
Ian
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (01-21-18), namazu (01-22-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-18, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeon View Post
I was diagnosed ADHD-PI, but for sure, I don't match the descriptions of SCT.

Maybe SCT will be a diagnosis someday.

Cheers,
Ian
SCT is the “research term” for ADHD-PI (aka, ADD)

People do not require all the symptoms of ADHD-PI, to be diagnosed with ADHD-PI.

I was diagnosed with ADHD-PI and based on my experience, I have felt any current descriptions of SCT and ADHD-PI, as the same thing.

I think a lot of people who have ADHD-Predominately Inattentive (aka, ADD) are having a hard time relating to the “H” in ADHD-Predominantly Inattentive.

I did.

But now after exploring the topics, I prefere ADHD-PI.

mildadhd

Last edited by mildadhd; 01-21-18 at 01:47 AM.. Reason: Current, Hypoactivity,
The Following User Says Thank You to mildadhd For This Useful Post:
namazu (01-22-18)
Old 01-21-18, 02:33 AM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 19,659 Times in 9,831 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
SCT is the “research term” for ADD (aka, ADHD-PI).
You are taking his comment out of context. In doing so, you're misrepresenting what he's saying.

He is not saying that SCT is universally synonymous with ADD or ADHD-PI.

He is saying that there are some people -- only a subset! -- of people previously or currently diagnosed with ADD or ADHD-PI who would more accurately be described as having what is now being thought of as SCT or CDD.

There are plenty of people currently diagnosed with ADHD-PI --many of whom might be considered "subthreshold combined type" -- who do not appear to have SCT/CDD in any way, shape, or form.

There are also plenty of people diagnosed with ADHD-PI who do have prominent SCT/CDD symptoms.

What Barkley's saying is that a substantial number of the people in this second group (the people who have prominent SCT-like symptoms and no hyperactivity or impulsivity to speak of) have been midiagnosed with ADHD(-PI) when their difficulties actually stem from a different type of problem.

(That claim presumes a lot about how well we actually understand ADHD, and how well we understand SCT, and how well we understand their overlap, and that seems clear as mud to me.)
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
aeon (01-21-18), Fortune (01-22-18), Greyhound1 (01-21-18), Lunacie (01-21-18), OyVeyKitty (01-21-18), PoppnNSailinMan (01-22-18), psychopathetic (01-21-18)
Old 01-21-18, 06:45 AM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 14,009 Times in 6,963 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

wow Namzy! Thanks for clearing so many things up here for us!!

(((((((MOM)))))))
I'll always fondly remember.

The Following User Says Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
namazu (01-22-18)
Old 01-21-18, 11:16 AM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 14,201 Times in 6,797 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

Mild,
Here is some more info from Barkley on SCT vs. ADHD, I thought you might find interesting. He makes a good case for them being separate disorders. I quoted some of the highlights.
http://www.chadd.org/portals/0/Conte...%20Barkley.pdf

Quote:
The Other Attention Disorder: Sluggish Cognitive Tempo vs. ADHD
Russell A. Barkley, Ph.D.

What is the Nature of SCT?

It appears to be a distinctly different form of inattentiveness from that seen in ADHD

ADHD is a chronic disorder of inhibition, inattention, and poor self-regulation (EF)
• SCT (ADD) seems to be a different disorder from ADHD and not a subtype of it
• Both disorders can be comorbid and are impairing though they may differ in which major life activities they create the greatest impairment and in how they impair them
• ADHD contributes far more to EF deficits than does SCT but contribution of SCT increases in adulthood
• In children and adults, ADHD is a more impairing disorder and more pervasively impairing but SCT can be worse than ADHD in selective situations
• So, is SCT a distinct disorder from ADHD?

Summary
*Coherent and distinct symptom complex –Yes
*Distinct demographic correlates - Yes
*Distinct cognitive correlates – Probably
*Distinct impairments – Probably, SCT is also milder
*Distinct pattern of comorbidity - Yes
*Distinct biological correlates - Unknown
*Distinct course – Unknown
*Distinct etiologies – Maybe, not enough evidence
*Distinct family history - Unknown
*Distinct pattern of treatment responses – Unknown
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
aeon (01-21-18), Little Missy (01-21-18), Lunacie (01-21-18), namazu (01-22-18), PoppnNSailinMan (01-22-18)
Old 01-21-18, 08:55 PM

Dr. Barkley consistently uses SCT and ADD synonymously throughout the video posted in the opening post.

And he never once says SCT is not ADD.

The SCT statistics and the ADD statistics are the same, when focusing on the same level of maturity and the same brain processing level.

mildadhd

Last edited by mildadhd; 01-21-18 at 09:13 PM..
Old 01-21-18, 11:20 PM

Greyhound

The quote you posted is using “SCT (ADD)” synonymously, as well.

Quote:
• SCT (ADD) seems to be a different disorder from ADHD and not a subtype of it

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 01-21-18 at 11:30 PM..
Old 01-21-18, 11:42 PM

Thanked 14,494 Times in 6,475 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The quote you posted is using “SCT (ADD)” synonymously, as well.
Which is, of course, nonsensical to pull out as an example, because ADD does not exist as a diagnosis, so talking about it as if it were is nonsense.

It’s ADHD.

And SCT doesn’t exist as a diagnosis either.

It’s 2018 and the DSM is very clear on this.

Cheers,
Ian
The Following User Says Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (01-22-18)
Old 01-21-18, 11:55 PM

Thanked 25,239 Times in 11,719 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

I've been really listening and hearing what Dr. Barkley is saying in this video.

Starting at about 5:50 he says that the understanding of ADHD at this point is
that it is NOT three separate but similar disorders.

The person may have mostly inattentive symptoms this week, but next month
there may be more impulsive and hyperactive symptoms in that same person.

I do not hear him saying that inattentive ADHD is the same as SCT. Rather, he
seems to be saying that what is now called SCT is completely different than
ADHD. That's my take-away.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (01-22-18), namazu (01-22-18), PoppnNSailinMan (01-22-18)
Old 01-22-18, 01:01 AM

I think it is the “H”.

I think it is the “Hyperactivity” in the current description of the “Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder-Predominantly Inattentive” (ADHD-PI) presentation, that makes it hard for people who only have predominately inattentive symptoms to relate to a hyperactive description.

After considering the possibilities of “H”.

I like to think of the “H”, in ADHD-PI, as standing for “Hypoactivity”.

Now I actually prefer the label “ADHD-PI” to the older “ADD without hyperactivity”, because the “H” now reminds of hypoactivity involved, where as the older label did not.

Motivates me to wonder..

What is Hypoactivity?

What is Hyperactivity?

(I think the parasympathetic and sympathetic response systems are involved, but I need to learn more about arousal of these complex basic affective executive functions, and these complex complex cognitive executive functions, and other functions and connections involved and how they work together in general, as a whole.)

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 01-22-18 at 01:22 AM..
Old 01-22-18, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
...I do not hear him saying that inattentive ADHD is the same as SCT. Rather, he
seems to be saying that what is now called SCT is completely different than
ADHD. That's my take-away.

What is your take-away, when Dr. Barkley says...

Quote:
(1:28) “You may have been calling them ADD or inattentive ADHD, but the research term....is sluggish cognitive tempo”

mildadhd

Last edited by mildadhd; 01-22-18 at 02:24 AM..
Old 01-22-18, 03:54 AM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 19,659 Times in 9,831 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think it is the “H”.

I think it is the “Hyperactivity” in the current description of the “Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder-Predominantly Inattentive” (ADHD-PI) presentation, that makes it hard for people who only have predominately inattentive symptoms to relate to a hyperactive description.
I agree with you that Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder is a sometimes-inaccurate and sometimes-misleading name -- in general, and especially for people who do not experience hyperactivity.

Hopefully, there will be more accurate descriptions/labels in the future, as we learn more about the condition(s) that get lumped under the ADHD label.

If thinking of the "H" as "hypoactivity of the dopamine system" works for you as a way to think about it, that's great.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
aeon (01-22-18), Greyhound1 (01-22-18), Lunacie (01-22-18)
Old 01-22-18, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namazu View Post

If thinking of the "H" as "hypoactivity of the dopamine system" works for you as a way to think about it, that's great.

I have noticed Dr. Barkley also refers to people who have ADD (ADHD-PI) as being hypoactive.

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 01-22-18 at 04:43 AM..