ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 01-23-18, 11:32 AM

Noreaster is on a distinguished road
ADHD (inattentive) Medication thoughts

So I started a post over in the career section but though I might post here as well. I was diagnosed as a kid. I'm in my late 30's and have been back on medication for 7-8 years or so. I currently take 36mg of Concerta. I had taken 27MG for a number of years and it worked OK. It stopped working pretty much at all a year ago so it was upped to 36 6 months ago which helped for a month or so.
I also have depression and am prescribed Prozac but I have stopped taking it as I have found it seems to make some elements of ADD worse. I feel better on it but any motivation and any sense of pressure to get things done disappears. I essential become content to do nothing. My current Psychiatrist is retiring so I will be moving DR I think this is a good time to look at other meds. SO I guess I;m wondering thoughts on how I should approach this with the DR and any other thoughts. I have also been reading alot on behavior modification and while some is useful I'ml not sure how effective it will be for me.
Old 01-24-18, 05:31 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,052 Times in 14,231 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ADHD (inattentive) Medication thoughts

Have you tried amphetamines?

I carried a watermelon?
Old 01-24-18, 10:18 AM

Fluppets is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I am also on an SSRI and since it takes away the anxiety, it also takes away the pressure I felt to complete tasks = I do nothing.

I am currently doing my research on meds for me (ADHD-PI/SCT + anxiety) and theoretically Atomoxetine (Strattera) should be the right one, and I've read some positive reviews (specifically from ADHD-PI people). I have recently tried Wellbutrin and then a low dose of methylphenidate (Ritalin), both didn't work or the positives didn't outwheigh the negatives. But it didn't surprise me they didn't work.

Check out my findings and the links If you're interested where I got my info, here:
http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190072

Tl;dr Try Attomoxetine (Strattera) I am going to start on it next week.
200 mg Sertraline
5 mg Abilify
80 mg Strattera
The Following User Says Thank You to Fluppets For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (01-26-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-18, 11:44 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,271 Times in 727 Posts
Little Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud of

Hi Nor, I agree that a new Doc could be an opportunity to improve your treatment. Depression and ADHD may have some overlapping symptoms. The depression side may reinforce some of these symptoms and make the meds less effective for some of the ADHD symptoms. Just from my knothole in the fence, I would make a list of your ADHD and any depressive symptoms, with specific objective impact(s) each has had or is having on you. Add-in timeline for meds, their effectiveness and side-effects. The quicker you can get the Doc up to speed, the quicker you can get a good evaluation. Almost forgot that sometimes w/ ADHD and Comorbid conditions, the Doc will choose to treat just one at first and then treat any remaining symptoms. I know with depression it is common to treat the depression side first. HTH, -LN
Old 01-25-18, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nut View Post
Hi Nor, I agree that a new Doc could be an opportunity to improve your treatment. Depression and ADHD may have some overlapping symptoms. The depression side may reinforce some of these symptoms and make the meds less effective for some of the ADHD symptoms. Just from my knothole in the fence, I would make a list of your ADHD and any depressive symptoms, with specific objective impact(s) each has had or is having on you. Add-in timeline for meds, their effectiveness and side-effects. The quicker you can get the Doc up to speed, the quicker you can get a good evaluation. Almost forgot that sometimes w/ ADHD and Comorbid conditions, the Doc will choose to treat just one at first and then treat any remaining symptoms. I know with depression it is common to treat the depression side first. HTH, -LN
Yes when I first went back to meds 7-8 years ago they had me run the meds for depression first. I was on them for 3 months before they added the Concerta. The new DR is supposed to be more aggressive ( I have a family member going to the new practice for anxiety) the last two docs I had were very cautious about meds.
Old 01-25-18, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Have you tried amphetamines?
No not so far just concerta and ritalin. Concerta has an effect mostly on focus but not always. and sometimes the focus just makes me dwell on things thanks to the depression.
Old 01-26-18, 04:50 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,052 Times in 14,231 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noreaster View Post
So I started a post over in the career section but though I might post here as well. I was diagnosed as a kid. I'm in my late 30's and have been back on medication for 7-8 years or so. I currently take 36mg of Concerta. I had taken 27MG for a number of years and it worked OK. It stopped working pretty much at all a year ago so it was upped to 36 6 months ago which helped for a month or so.
I also have depression and am prescribed Prozac but I have stopped taking it as I have found it seems to make some elements of ADD worse. I feel better on it but any motivation and any sense of pressure to get things done disappears.
Did your doctor recommend or approve of you stopping the prozac?

I carried a watermelon?
Old 01-26-18, 06:05 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 14,508 Times in 6,483 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Ritalin/Concerta worked well enough for me (it’s what I started with), but at a dose that was fully efficacious, it created a degree of anxiety that I could not tolerate.

After switching to dextroamphetamine sulfate, I get better (for me) ADHD treatment, as well as a reduction of my baseline anxiety...social and otherwise.

Cheers,
Ian
Old 01-29-18, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Did your doctor recommend or approve of you stopping the prozac?
Nope and this has caused a bit of an argument with My wife. It's one of the reasons I need to get this all fixed because luckily the depression hasn't been bad lately but when it is it's no good.