ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 01-24-18, 07:47 PM

Thanked 1,334 Times in 547 Posts
InvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond repute
The best career advice that I was given

When I was in my 20’s.

I had a job that I started over the summer. It was supposed to be temporary, and I was there on contract. I planned to start School in the fall.

My boss offered me a position and a promotion My pay would have gone up to 100,000 USD a year.

It was a dream job for most, but you worked overseas, 2 weeks on 2 weeks off.

My boss told me that

“he was going to offer me a job, but if I took the job, it would define the rest of my life. So that, if I wanted to do anything else, than I could forget it. I would get used to the pay, and become dependent upon it, which would make any other aspiration not possible.**
**School or any other dreams would not happen, so I had to choose, knowing what I would be giving up. “**

It was the hardest choice that I ever made, but I walked away from that job offer.

I was scared about my choice, but looking back, I have never regretted it.

It’s given weight to my choices ever since and it helped me understand how to make smarter choices in the long run.

I don’t take the first offer anymore, and because of it, I am happier and more successful for it.

Most people make the mistake of taking the first oppurtunity that comes their way, even though they know they will not be happy with it.
Every oppurtuniy is an obstacle to any other goals/dreams that you might have had.

When accepting an oppurtunity, you have to acknowledge what it is that you’ll be giving up.

This is why it is so hard to follow your dreams or get what you really want out of life.

Everyone takes the first thing that comes their way, without realizing that it means they’ll be giving up all the others.

In the end I got what I wanted, but it meant waiting. It took almost ten years, but just being on the road to what I really wanted made me happy.

I found that you know a life choice is what you really want when you you feel like you’re always gaining something.

When you don’t see the road to get there as misery, or lost time that you have to give up and the work and effort itself is something that you enjoy.

So far I've given up 3 major oppurtunities like that, to pursue what I really wanted.

When the road is worth pursuing and not just the destination itself, and when you know that you'd give up everything else just to have it, then you will know that is a goal worth pursuing.

Thanks

Last edited by InvitroCanibal; 01-24-18 at 07:58 PM..
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to InvitroCanibal For This Useful Post:
aeon (01-24-18), DeClutter (01-25-18), Fuzzy12 (01-24-18), Little Missy (01-24-18), Pilgrim (01-27-18), Pinkyswear (01-24-18)
Old 01-25-18, 01:25 PM

Noreaster is on a distinguished road
Re: The best career advice that I was given

Good advice but for those with ADHD you also need to sometimes step back and not over analyze things. I can basically see the bad in everything but that can sometimes blind you to taking what may be a good opportunity.
The Following User Says Thank You to Noreaster For This Useful Post:
DeClutter (01-25-18)
Old 01-27-18, 09:00 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,175 Posts
Pilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud of
Re: The best career advice that I was given

Donít know if this is true and I know the day to day struggles to put food in the fridge, especially this past year.

But Iíd like to make an observation. In light of the first post Iíve always found people who chase what they really want are the happiest.

Iíve lived the life of not being able to get out of bed, being foggy and having no energy. Then stimulants came along and everything became more hopeful. If they can help then why not.

I guess in the last 5 years or so. I saw certain people achieve their dreams and to a man it was a hell of a commitment. Maybe the trick is knowing really what you want, timing and a bit of luck. I would disagree with this, it takes clear thinking, desire, being knocked about and getting back up, and being prepared to do anything within yourself in order to make it happen. Just a thought.
Sponsored Links