ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 01-27-18, 12:17 AM

cloudlowell is on a distinguished road
anxiety resurfacing with adderall

i am an 18 year old trans guy who hasnt started T yet (mentioning this bc from what i understand hormones make a difference with this stuff) i have adhd, seasonal affective disorder and major depressive disorder. i also struggled a lot with anxiety in my preteen years before the depression came along and that isn't diagnosed as anything or treated.

i started taking adderall about two months ago. it worked great after a while of getting used to it but now i'm constantly either shaking i'm so anxious or can't even get myself out of bed. there is no in between.

should i just stop taking it, or try to get treatment for anxiety? if i should stop taking it are there any withdrawal symptoms i should be warned of?
The Following User Says Thank You to cloudlowell For This Useful Post:
namazu (01-27-18)
Old 01-27-18, 12:42 AM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 20,190 Times in 10,118 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: anxiety resurfacing with adderall

Sometimes anxiety that occurs as a side effect of stimulants can be fixed or reduced with a lower dose, or with a change to a different medication.

Sometimes it may be helpful to get therapy specific to the anxiety. Depending on how your anxiety manifests, and whether there are particular triggers or foci of ruminations, certain types of therapy may help you recognize and deal with those triggers/thoughts and find ways to calm/regulate your emotions.

Sometimes people find it helpful to treat anxiety with medication as well.

(And these options are not mutually exclusive. You may find that some combination of approaches works best. That has been the case for me.)

Do you trust/feel comfortable with your doctor? If so, you could start by telling them exactly what you told us here (even print out your post if it would help), and go from there.

If you end up changing to a lower dose of Adderall or weaning off of it and trying something else, it's possible there will be a brief period of adjustment. You may feel a little tired and especially uncofused. But since you've only been taking it a couple of months, I'd expect it to be mild and short-lived. (And if it is the Adderall making the anxiety so much worse, you may find you actually feel better.)

Best wishes!
The Following User Says Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
cloudlowell (01-27-18)
Old 01-27-18, 01:19 AM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 20,190 Times in 10,118 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Err... "unfocused", not "uncofused".

Oh, and welcome to ADDF!
The Following User Says Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
cloudlowell (01-27-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-18, 01:31 AM

cloudlowell is on a distinguished road

thank you!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to cloudlowell For This Useful Post:
namazu (01-27-18)
Old 01-31-18, 06:38 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,566 Times in 1,203 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute

Basically, this is a decision you don't want to or need to make on your own.

Call your doc, schedule an appointment and report the problems you are having. I think you also need to report the depression and anxiety .... Those conditions can undermine our lives every bit as much as ADHD. You may need to get them addressed as well.

But basically just tell your doctor about the odd side effect you're now getting. And in the time before you see the doc, think really hard about any changes you made in your life that might have suddenly brought on the shakes.

It's so easy to overlook things ... For example, OTC medications can have an effect. Stressors at work or in relationships can have an effect.

My blood pressure once shot through the roof all of a sudden, and my doc kept asking me about any changes ... took me days and days before I realized that I had started recently to take Claritin-D, which has pseudoephedrine, which can raise blood pressure ... especially when combined with a stimulant.

Anyway, report the problem to the doc, and their job is to come up with a solution.

Tone
Old 02-07-18, 09:58 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,657 Times in 14,615 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudlowell View Post
i am an 18 year old trans guy who hasnt started T yet (mentioning this bc from what i understand hormones make a difference with this stuff)
Forgive my ignorance- do you mean you are female waiting to start testosterone to transition to male? Im not trying to be rude just wanted to make sure I understand. The reason I ask.. I am an alcoholic which has nothing to do with you but I work with alot of the LGBTQ communities because self medication due to self loathing, hatred, bias etc is so common. Many times over I have heard the same story as you have described separate from the adhd. That the overwhelming anxiety is crippling, that sometimes their medication works and sometimes it has no effect or seems to be making it worse. I work with people with addictions yes, but some of them are in transitions and some of them are gender fluid, some are just trying to find themselves. I always tell all of them... Therapy-Therapy-Therapy! It is a must. Everything else aside think about your life. These are major life altering changes you are making. You need to work through all of it and the trauma. People think trauma is limited to assault or bad childhoods but I dont believe that to be the only truth. The trauma of being trapped in a body that doesnt feel like your own, having a mentality that doesnt match up with gender norms, trying to conform to fit in, please family, make friends-all of it can create bits of trauma and only a trauma therapist can help you with that.

Quote:
i have adhd, seasonal affective disorder and major depressive disorder. i also struggled a lot with anxiety in my preteen years before the depression came along and that isn't diagnosed as anything or treated.
You need to get into see a psyche doc and if possible one that has experience working with the trans community.

Quote:
i started taking adderall about two months ago. it worked great after a while of getting used to it but now i'm constantly either shaking i'm so anxious or can't even get myself out of bed. there is no in between.

should i just stop taking it, or try to get treatment for anxiety? if i should stop taking it are there any withdrawal symptoms i should be warned of?
I think you should speak to the doc about the adderall but my gut tells me its all the other stuff going on with you right now. I say this from a place of love and compassion. You need to get right side with yourself in order for the adderall or any of the changes you want to make to work,.

I carried a watermelon?