ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-18, 06:29 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,227 Times in 925 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation
“People who have ADHD are just lazy”

What is your opinion of the statement, “People who have ADHD are just lazy”.

M
Old 02-02-18, 07:50 PM

Thanked 2,587 Times in 1,214 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: “People who have ADHD are just lazy”

• That's like saying a patient who has undergone open heart surgery and is slow moving for a while ... is lazy.

• Like saying a person with chronic heart failure which means they are continually short on enough oxygen ... is lazy.

• Like saying a depressed person who gets exhausted walking across the room ... is lazy.

• Like saying a person with thyroid disorder that throws the hormones out of balance ... is lazy ...

• Like saying my dad in his late 80s with Parkinsons who got tired and disoriented by a shortage of Potassium in his system ... is lazy

Like saying a person with a sleep disorder ... is lazy

It so happens that plenty of people with ADHD have tons of energy and activity, perhaps too much energy ... it's just that it's not focused energy ....

So what do I say to this overall claim?

I say the people making such an uninformed claim don't want to do research and reading and serious thinking that would inform them. Maybe because they are too ___y!

I assume someone else is telling you this ... ignore them.

Tone
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ToneTone For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (02-02-18), mildadhd (02-02-18), stef (02-03-18)
Old 02-02-18, 08:27 PM

Thanked 30,134 Times in 13,885 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think people who have ADHD are just lazy but I do very often wonder if I am just lazy. What differentiates me from a lazy person? Intention? Guilt and shame? ADHD? I genuinely don't know.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
FlipperTheWhale (02-03-18), mildadhd (02-02-18), psychopathetic (02-03-18), Vex187 (02-04-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-18, 08:35 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 15,076 Times in 7,250 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
What is your opinion of the statement, “People who have ADHD are just lazy”.

M
My opinion is they are totally ignorant about ADHD.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
Drogheda (02-05-18), FlipperTheWhale (02-03-18), Little Missy (02-03-18), Lunacie (02-02-18), mildadhd (02-02-18), psychopathetic (02-03-18)
Old 02-02-18, 09:12 PM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 15,093 Times in 7,516 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

Screw you DAD!

Lazy has been the primary word my dad has used on me ever since I was a kid. My room was a mess cause I was lazy...I was behind in my classes because I was lazy...all through my teens...into high school...I'd try to make myself sick or break my finger so I wouldn't have to goto school that day...because I was lazy...I couldn't hold down a job, because I was lazy...had a hard time getting up and moving, because I was lazy...would spend all day playing video games...because I was lazy.

There was nothing wrong with me. I was just lazy. And that meant I was just a piece of sh**.

And I internalized it. And now I'm an adult and I can't shake the feeling that I'm just a lazy piece of scum.
But then websites like this exist...and I see thousands of others who do/have struggled in the exact same ways that I do/have and it proves to me that it's not just me...that it MUST be deeper than just being lazy.

So yeah...screw you dad.

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
FlipperTheWhale (02-03-18), Fuzzy12 (02-03-18), Greyhound1 (02-03-18), Lunacie (02-02-18), mildadhd (02-02-18), stef (02-03-18), ToneTone (02-05-18), wild.onion (02-03-18)
Old 02-02-18, 10:28 PM

Thanked 1,561 Times in 861 Posts
finallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond repute

It is ironic that people say that because those with ADHD actually work harder than NT's with below average to average results too much of the time.
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to finallyfound10 For This Useful Post:
Drogheda (02-05-18), FlipperTheWhale (02-03-18), Lunacie (02-02-18), mildadhd (02-02-18), psychopathetic (02-02-18), stef (02-03-18), ToneTone (02-05-18)
Old 02-03-18, 08:27 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,280 Times in 14,940 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

"People without adhd are just A-holes"

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
finallyfound10 (02-03-18), FlipperTheWhale (02-03-18), psychopathetic (02-03-18)
Old 02-03-18, 10:21 AM

FlipperTheWhale is a jewel in the roughFlipperTheWhale is a jewel in the roughFlipperTheWhale is a jewel in the rough

I live alone and I am overwhelmed with all the stuff that needs to be done. I have a big yard that is overgrown in places. I clean sections of the house but can never pull it all together at once.
I think I am a little lazy after the fact that the decision making of what to do first usually overwhelms me. I jump from task to task. It's a never ending cycle. I know I have to feed cats and clean boxes and get to work on time. But there are no time rules when I am home alone.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlipperTheWhale For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (02-03-18), stef (02-03-18)
Old 02-03-18, 10:57 AM

Thanked 27,031 Times in 13,128 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

Well, sometimes I am; and who isn't?
and then part of that is also much needed down time; probably more than someone without adhd;
But the statement that people with adhd are lazy, is entirely false.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
FlipperTheWhale (02-03-18), psychopathetic (02-03-18)
Old 02-03-18, 11:05 AM

FlipperTheWhale is a jewel in the roughFlipperTheWhale is a jewel in the roughFlipperTheWhale is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
"People without adhd are just A-holes"
Works both ways! A-holes exist in all forms
The Following User Says Thank You to FlipperTheWhale For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (02-03-18)
Old 02-03-18, 11:12 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,353 Times in 782 Posts
Little Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud of

We're not lazy. It is just that a large portion of us have a comorbid condition.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Nut For This Useful Post:
finallyfound10 (02-03-18), FlipperTheWhale (02-03-18)
Old 02-03-18, 11:44 AM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 15,093 Times in 7,516 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
I don't think people who have ADHD are just lazy but I do very often wonder if I am just lazy. What differentiates me from a lazy person? Intention? Guilt and shame? ADHD? I genuinely don't know.
Yeah, I wonder this too.

But I've always known it's deeper than laziness...and I think you feel the same way. You know that term doesn't fully describe you most of the time...that there's a big struggle underneath the laziness that you can't find words or understanding for.

It sure feels like laziness. Can easily be confused with laziness. People will look down on you and call it pure laziness.
But it's not. It's deeper. It's more than just being lazy. The being 'lazy' (if it really even is that) is just the tip of the ice berg. It's the visual part of it...the part we can see and describe with words...but it's only but a tip of a giant mountain underneath.

I wish it were just lazy . It's not. It's far more complex.

(((Fuzzy)))

You're just very critical of yourself

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
finallyfound10 (02-03-18), Fuzzy12 (02-06-18), namazu (02-05-18), stef (02-06-18)
Old 02-05-18, 01:32 AM

Vex187 will become famous soon enough

Its just a judgement based on a misunderstanding. Its an easier choice to judge than it is to understand, and from my experiences most people take the short easy path, myself included... Not saying its an excuse though.

The misunderstanding i get, I went through the mental health care system years ago but i was diagnosed with adhd at 37 (still 37 now) and now have a completely different understanding about what it is, and more importantly what it isnt. You cant expect everyone to get you or to go out of their way to read something complex like adhd, especially when they think they already know as they heard a news report about giving speed/meth/coke like substances to kids when its just a behavioral issue. It'd make things a lot easier if they did though, but if they arent willing to put in the time then I guess that problems solved as they're the wrong people to be around.

With the lazy thing I think its the intention that differentiate them, but happily would be corrected on this. Have been there before, and met lots of people that like bumming around doing nothing as a couch potato, and are happy doing so.

If its a disorder or part of adhd, from my perspective it seems more like... Well Im not actually lazy, ive always done sports and have been involved in competitive sports from 4-22yrs old, and i do want to do things now, its just that I dont and its a problem. In a way it feels quite similar to substance addiction in that you want to stop but cant.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vex187 For This Useful Post:
aeon (02-05-18), namazu (02-05-18), stef (02-06-18)
Old 02-06-18, 06:04 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,280 Times in 14,940 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Dont you find that they people who call other people things that are disparaging are really trying to make themselves feel better or just lying to themselves?

I carried a watermelon?