ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Inattentive ADD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Inattentive ADD A forum set aside for the the discussion of inattention and inattentive ADD

Old 03-12-13, 07:27 PM
Contributor

jman05 is on a distinguished road
Anyone have trouble speaking and articulating clearly?

I think my information processing issues give me problems speaking clearly. I will not say words clear and sometimes not be able to express myself and just complete thoughts with correct words. But it seems like it goes in cycles for some reason. THis will happen for months at a time and then I will not have big problems for a while. I guess this is linked to my bad handwriting also.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to jman05 For This Useful Post:
add_me (01-02-15), daveddd (05-22-13), Dayzeelou (02-22-16), DizzyBee (07-03-13), hutchie0109 (10-10-17), MarriKimmi (06-10-15), poppetx (10-14-17), Princess_Slayer (09-17-17), So nada (12-19-14), Tmoney (05-22-13)
Old 03-12-13, 07:30 PM

DistractedGoat is on a distinguished road
Re: Anyone have trouble speaking and articulating clearly?

I hear ya. I have a hard time translating my thoughts into words, too. Part of my problem is I am a very visual person, and usually I think of complex topics in terms of images and pictures, and how different parts interact with one another. When I try to articulate these thoughts, it comes out sounding like a big jumbled mess. Since part of my job is to train people, I have really had to work hard on learning what parts of what I am trying to express are relevant, and what parts are not. Also, breaking things (thoughts, topics, etc) down into smaller pieces helps a lot for me to be able to articulate myself.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to DistractedGoat For This Useful Post:
dresser (05-31-13), hutchie0109 (10-10-17), OhLookABunny (06-15-15), pantalaimon (02-12-15), phazonConduit (05-30-15), Princess_Slayer (09-17-17), tinybike (05-27-15), zilphy (02-28-15)
Old 03-12-13, 07:31 PM
mod-estly regulated

Thanked 5,446 Times in 2,991 Posts
someothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. Competing focusses. TMI or Just not giving "full attention" to the topic.

I was speaking really well the other day and realized I had been staring at a blank spot on the well while speaking to this person!!! In order to apply myself to thought I had totally switched off/fozen my visual stimuli.

I was looking at some high schools art books yesterday and it was so stark. Every time I turned the page it looked like a child of different ages had done the drawings. Majority looked like that of a 5-8 year old, then once in 50 there would be something amazing!!!
~ SB_UK ~
The Following User Says Thank You to someothertime For This Useful Post:
daveddd (05-22-13)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-13, 07:34 PM
Contributor

eats_mice is just really niceeats_mice is just really niceeats_mice is just really niceeats_mice is just really nice

Sometimes its easier to speak French than English. I forgot what "la port" was the other day.

You say I'm weird? Well, I grew up next to a power
plant, what's your excuse?
The Following User Says Thank You to eats_mice For This Useful Post:
MellyFishButt (03-12-13)
Old 03-12-13, 08:32 PM

Ibicella Lutae is on a distinguished road

Absolutely. I've been laughed at for years for the strange things that come out of my mouth.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ibicella Lutae For This Useful Post:
anders727 (12-24-14), glendagoodwitch (05-21-15), hutchie0109 (10-10-17)
Old 03-12-13, 08:44 PM
Forum ADDvocate

MellyFishButt is a glorious beacon of lightMellyFishButt is a glorious beacon of lightMellyFishButt is a glorious beacon of lightMellyFishButt is a glorious beacon of lightMellyFishButt is a glorious beacon of lightMellyFishButt is a glorious beacon of light

Yup. I typically will completely miss words that would make up a sentence. Or I will start at the middle of a story or idea, instead at the beginning - oftentimes like I had just been interrupted and continuing with the thought while my conversational partner looks at me like 'uh, can we back up for a second?'. I often have to start over. This happens less on medication for me but it still happens when I am really excited about something.

...DX: ADHD-C, GAD, Major Depression, PD
...RX: Adderall XR, Lexapro, Valium, Vit D, Fish Oil, MultiVit, Vit B
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MellyFishButt For This Useful Post:
amberwillow (03-17-13), glendagoodwitch (05-21-15), hutchie0109 (10-10-17), orangeflavored (05-31-13)
Old 03-12-13, 09:47 PM
ADDvanced Member

deadmau5 has a spectacular aura aboutdeadmau5 has a spectacular aura about

Im constantly like that when im unmedicated

In case you forgot, grumpy cat hates you.........
The Following User Says Thank You to deadmau5 For This Useful Post:
tinybike (05-27-15)
Old 03-13-13, 12:16 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Cyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond repute

I have problems with this. I've noticed that when I type (which is my favorite way to communicate), I often don't compose sentences from beginning to end. When I speak, I feel like I have to compose the entire sentence in my head before I start speaking (but do it fast enough that I'm not leaving a weird gap in the conversation or someone else starts speaking instead) and then mentally hold the whole in my head while saying it. When I need to communicate a complex idea, that's just too much mental gymnastics for me.

I also sometimes forget words in the middle of a sentence. I like that my close friends are often able to figure out what I mean when I only say the first half.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Cyllya For This Useful Post:
esslaw (02-21-16), glendagoodwitch (05-21-15), hutchie0109 (10-10-17), OhLookABunny (06-15-15), orangeflavored (05-31-13), pantalaimon (02-12-15), ZombieCake (05-19-13)
Old 03-13-13, 12:51 AM
Contributor

Silvermoonstone is a splendid one to beholdSilvermoonstone is a splendid one to beholdSilvermoonstone is a splendid one to beholdSilvermoonstone is a splendid one to beholdSilvermoonstone is a splendid one to beholdSilvermoonstone is a splendid one to beholdSilvermoonstone is a splendid one to beholdSilvermoonstone is a splendid one to behold

Same for me. Sometimes I just stop and try to find the word to use to explain what I want to say. It's right on the tip of my tongue!

I can also talk too fast sometimes. I-just-want-to-say-something-and-sentences-aren't-fast-enough!!

It's like giving a left-handed person a pair of right-handed scissors and expecting them to make some paper art. They'll twist their hands and wrists to adjust, turn the paper awkwardly, and take twice as long to cut a not-so-straight line. Are you going to blame them that they can't use a right-handed pair of scissors properly, or hand them a pair of lefty scissors?
The Following User Says Thank You to Silvermoonstone For This Useful Post:
rdeckard (05-29-13)
Old 03-16-13, 06:50 PM

Candy_M is on a distinguished road

Yes...one of my biggest problems especially if I'm under pressure like time constraints. It's basically another language, lol. My husband lovingly jokes with me about it. I sound like a telephone breaking up. Also I'll be having a convo in my own head and in the middle of it just blurt out something to someone. They're like what are you talking about? Usually it'll be something we talked about 30 min. Earlier. Oh we'll I've learned to laugh it off and so have the ppl who love me!

ADHD - Inattentive
Depression
Anxiety
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Candy_M For This Useful Post:
amberwillow (03-17-13), daveddd (05-22-13), Eamonned (10-04-17), glendagoodwitch (05-21-15)
Old 03-17-13, 12:51 AM
Contributor

Jshect is just really niceJshect is just really niceJshect is just really niceJshect is just really nice

I am subscribing to this thread because I finally feel like I have found people who are going through what I am going through. I have great difficulty expressing the thoughts and concepts in my mind verbally in a clear, intelligent, linear, and coherent fashion. I read (or at least try to read) about all sorts of interesting academic topics, and while I'm reading, what I'm reading makes sense. But a day or two later when I try to converse with someone about the interesting topics, it just comes out in a disorganized, jumbled, mess. I often jump around a lot. I can't quite think of the right words (tip of the tongue) so I substitute whatever words that are similar enough to the word I am searching for, that doesn't quite make as much sense. Often times people will think I am just making up what I'm saying because of that, but really I'm just have a hard time remembering what I read, and getting it out verbally. EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING because I LOVE talking to people and I especially like having interesting, intelligent conversations.

I have found some things that help though:
Highlight or underline important passages you read
reread what you highlighted as many times as needed
Make note cards online about things you want to remember

One thing that has helped me the most with my conversation is writing. I do a lot of writing. I have endless debates on Youtube and I carefully craft my arguments. I'm still far from perfect when it comes to verbal communication, but I'm a little bit better because of those techniques. If any of you have other techniques please share.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jshect For This Useful Post:
amberwillow (03-17-13), CookieJar (05-23-15), dresser (05-31-13), esslaw (02-21-16), glendagoodwitch (05-21-15), So nada (12-20-14)
Old 03-17-13, 04:24 AM
Zen moderator

Thanked 26,524 Times in 12,929 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

i know what i want to say but it comes out jumbled, often. especially when i havent talked for a while ( like when i get to work in the morning) or ar the end of the day , my mind is just so full of stuff by then...
plus i have a heavy accent. i dont like the sound of my voice.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
amberwillow (03-17-13), daveddd (05-22-13), So nada (12-20-14)
Old 03-19-13, 01:53 AM
Jr Member

english-ice is on a distinguished road

Haha - I was just speaking to my sister about this last night when I was telling her that its possible that I have ADD.

I've a very good , confident talker but daily when talking I miss words out or say a completely different word to those that I wanted to say. Another thing is I will be in the middle of a sentence and my brain will stop working and the words just stop coming out and fizzle out , like a tree falling over slowly. The latter only happens if I'm talking fast and normally non important subjects. I dont have a stutter in anyway , but I stumble over my words often.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to english-ice For This Useful Post:
glendagoodwitch (05-21-15), rdeckard (05-29-13)
Old 03-19-13, 06:12 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 7,907 Times in 4,070 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a picture thinker too and always mess my words up. I write the same way too. I'll start off really confident in what I'm going to say then the words will just get harder and harder to reach and even get out of my mouth. Eventually I have to stop and back track but I've completely lost my train of thought, so I have to quickly think of some words that make enough sense so I can finish my story or what I was going to say.

My poor 7 year old nephew has this problem too.

I never had this problem when I was learning to speak Indonesian but I never learned it fluently. Maybe I should just say a bunch of English phrases.

One thing I'm not sure of if I have months where this doesn't happen. I just think I think way too fast and when I go to speak the first line my brain is already on the next sentence. When I actually speak fast this doesn't happen. Also, if I don't look at the person I'm speaking to I won't screw up. Eye contact bad.
Old 03-19-13, 06:53 AM
ADDvanced Member

Nachons is a name known to allNachons is a name known to allNachons is a name known to allNachons is a name known to allNachons is a name known to allNachons is a name known to all

I get dyslexia of the tongue when I have to talk after not having done for a while. Once I've shifted gears from "mute" to "please shut up" I only mess up if I talk too fast