ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Inattentive ADD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Inattentive ADD A forum set aside for the the discussion of inattention and inattentive ADD

Old 02-04-18, 04:46 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 11,227 Times in 5,483 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Questions about so called SCT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by namazu View Post
If we're starting with the numbers that
5.1% of the population has ADHD (shaded orange), and
5.1% of the population has SCT (shaded blue),
and half the cases with ADHD have SCT and vice-versa (purplish area where shading overlaps),
we can represent those numbers like this:

If this is correct...
The total % of the population with ADHD and/or SCT would be about 7.65%
= (2.55% ADHD only, 2.55% SCT only, and 2.55% ADHD + SCT)
and
People are about equally likely to have ADHD only, SCT only, or ADHD+SCT (not twice as likely to have ADHD + SCT).
wow, you can just whip up venn diagrams on que?

awesome
namazu (02-04-18)
Old 02-04-18, 05:29 PM

Thanked 25,583 Times in 11,922 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If we're starting with the numbers that
5.1% of the population has ADHD (shaded orange), and
5.1% of the population has SCT (shaded blue),
and half the cases with ADHD have SCT and vice-versa (purplish area where shading overlaps),
we can represent those numbers like this:

If this is correct...
The total % of the population with ADHD and/or SCT would be about 7.65%
= (2.55% ADHD only, 2.55% SCT only, and 2.55% ADHD + SCT)
and
People are about equally likely to have ADHD only, SCT only, or ADHD+SCT (not twice as likely to have ADHD + SCT).
Okay, math is not my strong suit, but venn diagrams are pretty simple.

You start with 100 people who have been diagnosed with either ADHD or SCT,
or both ADHD and SCT.

You are treating the math like half of them have ADHD only, but according to
the diagram, one-third of them also have SCT. Same thing on the SCT side.

By your math it seems you're adding 1/2 + 1/2 + 1/2 and clearly that is more
people than you began with.

So out of 100 people, 1/3 have ADHD only, 1/3 have SCT only, and 1/3 have
both ADHD and SCT.

Maybe someone who is better with math can explain it more clearly.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
namazu (02-04-18)
Old 02-04-18, 05:45 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 20,190 Times in 10,118 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
Okay, math is not my strong suit, but venn diagrams are pretty simple.

You start with 100 people who have been diagnosed with either ADHD or SCT,
or both ADHD and SCT.
There's no rule that you have to start with 100 people when making a Venn diagram.

Here I'm only looking at the portion of the population who have ADHD (5.1%), SCT (5.1%) or both -- and the combination of those two, since they overlap, comes out to about 7.65% of the population. But they account for 100% of the people with ADHD and/or SCT!

If we wanted to include everyone in the whole population, the diagram would need more ellipses, because we'd have to account for the proportion of the population who has neither ADHD nor SCT.

You're correct that among the people with ADHD and/or SCT, 1/3 have ADHD only (orange shading only), 1/3 have SCT only (blue shading only), and 1/3 have both ADHD and SCT (purple shading only). 1/3 + 1/3 + 1/3 = 1 = 100%

I have to host a Super Bowl party in a few minutes, but will come back to this later.
The Following User Says Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (02-04-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-18, 05:50 PM

Thanked 1,172 Times in 884 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation

In this video, Dr Barkley says...

5.1% of adult population have SCT

5.1% of adult population have ADHD

And in this article it is written...

Quote:
Quote:
Evidence supports the view that CDD (SCT) is distinct from ADHD and not a subtype of it. But the two conditions can overlap in nearly half of all cases of each.
http://www.russellbarkley.org/factsh...itiveTempo.pdf

If, 5.1% adult population have SCT symptoms (and half of those people have both SCT symptoms and ADHD symptoms)

Then...

2.55% of adult population have SCT symptoms without ADHD symptoms.

2.55% of adult population have SCT symptoms and ADHD symptoms.

If, 5.1% adult population have ADHD symptoms, (and half of those people have symptoms of ADHD and symptoms of SCT)

Then...

2.55% of adult population have ADHD symptoms without SCT symptoms

2.55% of adult population have ADHD symptoms and SCT symptoms.

Then...

2.55% of adult population have SCT symptoms, without SCT symptoms

5.1% of adult population have ADHD symptoms and SCT symptoms.

2.55% of adult population have ADHD symptoms, without SCT symptoms

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 02-04-18 at 06:14 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to mildadhd For This Useful Post:
namazu (02-05-18)
Old 02-04-18, 06:12 PM

Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
There's no rule that you have to start with 100 people when making a Venn diagram.

Here I'm only looking at the portion of the population who have ADHD (5.1%), SCT (5.1%) or both -- and the combination of those two, since they overlap, comes out to about 7.65% of the population. But they account for 100% of the people with ADHD and/or SCT!

If we wanted to include everyone in the whole population, the diagram would need more ellipses, because we'd have to account for the proportion of the population who has neither ADHD nor SCT.

You're correct that among the people with ADHD and/or SCT, 1/3 have ADHD only (orange shading only), 1/3 have SCT only (blue shading only), and 1/3 have both ADHD and SCT (purple shading only). 1/3 + 1/3 + 1/3 = 1 = 100%

I have to host a Super Bowl party in a few minutes, but will come back to this later.
I suck at all those percentages divided by fractions. It's easier for my mind to
grasp simply saying if you have a sample of 100 people who have been dx
with ADHD/SCT/Both and the percentages match pretty closely in studies,
then you have one third with each possibility.

I thought I made it clear that we were starting only with those diagnosed with
ADHD or SCT or Both in my explanation.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
namazu (02-04-18)
Old 02-04-18, 06:40 PM

Edit, missed edit deadline, correction in red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post

Quote:
Quote:
Evidence supports the view that CDD (SCT) is distinct from ADHD and not a subtype of it. But the two conditions can overlap in nearly half of all cases of each.
http://www.russellbarkley.org/factsh...itiveTempo.pdf

If, 5.1% adult population have SCT symptoms (and half of those people have both SCT symptoms and ADHD symptoms)

Then...

If, 5.1% adult population have ADHD symptoms, (and half of those people have symptoms of ADHD and symptoms of SCT)

Then...

Then...

2.55% of adult population have SCT symptoms, without ADHD symptoms

M
namazu (02-04-18)
Old 02-04-18, 11:55 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkley
the two conditions can overlap in nearly half of all cases of each.
OK. ^These are the conditions we need to satisfy. I will restate them below:

5.1% of the adult population has SCT.

5.1% of the adult population has ADHD.

Half of the people in each group have both ADHD and SCT.

Agreed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd
Then...
This is correct.

Quote:
Then...
Yes. This is also correct.

Quote:
Then...
2.55% of adult population have SCT symptoms, without ADHD symptoms
No, this is incorrect.

You are double-counting the people who have both ADHD and SCT symptoms, who show up in both sets above.

2.55% of the population has ADHD alone.

2.55% of the population has both SCT and ADHD or both ADHD and SCT (<-- these are the different ways of saying the same thing!).

2.55% of the population has SCT alone.

This meets all of the conditions we agreed on above:

2.55% w/ADHD alone + 2.55% w/ADHD + SCT = 5.1% of people w/ADHD total (Check!)

2.55% w/SCT alone + 2.55% w/ADHD + SCT = 5.1% of people w/SCT total (Check!)

Half of the people who have ADHD also have SCT symptoms. (half of the 5.1% = 2.55%) (Check!)

Half of the people who have SCT also have ADHD symptoms. (half of the 5.1% = 2.55%) (Check!)

If you add these 3 groups together (ADHD only + SCT only + both ADHD and SCT), you get a total of 7.65% of the population with ADHD and/or SCT.

(mildadhd, you calculated this correctly once above, but then you thought it was wrong!)

ADHD and SCT are not mutually exclusive. Some people have both, so they are counted in both groups (the "all ADHD" group = 5.1% of the population and the "all SCT" = 5.1% of the population). If you just add the "all ADHD" group to the "all SCT" group without taking into account the fact that some people have both SCT and ADHD, you'll double-count them in your total and get an incorrect answer.

Lunacie states it accurately in saying that
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie
if you have a sample of 100 people who have been dx
with ADHD/SCT/Both and the percentages match pretty closely in studies,
then you have one third with each possibility.
This shows up pretty well in the diagram -- even if you ignore the percentages, each "slice" (blue only, orange only, and purple) is about 1/3 of the shaded area.
Each third = 2.55% of the population, for a total of 7.65% of the population.

Does that help?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
aeon (02-05-18), Lunacie (02-05-18)
Old 02-05-18, 12:17 AM
Contrapunctual Moderator

P.S. Lunacie, I initially misunderstood your post as saying that my diagram and percentages were incorrect, so I was trying to explain how I arrived at the figures. It sounds like you were just stating things another way. My apologies for the misreading.

P.P.S. Daveddd, the Internet has Venn diagram generators that make it easier to whip something up!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
aeon (02-05-18), daveddd (02-05-18), Lunacie (02-05-18)
Old 02-05-18, 12:20 AM

Quote:
P.S. Lunacie, I initially misunderstood your post as saying that my diagram and percentages were incorrect, so I was trying to explain how I arrived at the figures. It sounds like you were just stating things another way. My apologies for the misreading.

P.P.S. Daveddd, the Internet has Venn diagram and Euler diagram generators that make it easier ot whip something up!
Thanks. Hope your team won.

namazu (02-05-18)
Old 02-05-18, 12:32 AM

Thanked 11,227 Times in 5,483 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

P.P.S. Daveddd, the Internet has Venn diagram generators that make it easier to whip something up!
huh, you're quite the sly fox
aeon (02-05-18), namazu (02-05-18)
Old 02-05-18, 03:14 AM

Group #1

2.55% of people have apples

2.55% of people have apples and oranges

Group #2

2.55% of people have oranges

2.55% of people have oranges and apples

Group #1 and Group #2 (total)

5.1% of people have apples and oranges

The people are twice as likely to have apples and oranges, than apples without oranges, or, oranges without apples.

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 02-05-18 at 03:33 AM..
Old 02-05-18, 03:59 AM

Fluppets is on a distinguished road

Ahh so now the mistake becomes clear!

You divide them into two separate groups where you do an apple and oranges count, and then you combine the two groups but you take the previous apple and oranges count. Instead you need to do a recount after you created the new combined group.

So group 1 + group 2 = group 3

Group #1

Group #2

Group #1 and Group #2 (total) = group 3

200 mg Sertraline
5 mg Abilify
80 mg Strattera
The Following User Says Thank You to Fluppets For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (02-05-18)
Old 02-05-18, 04:07 AM

To add to this discussion; what if one symptom has multiple possible causes?

The DSM and this entire discussion is about symptoms, but we need to look at the causes, and the brain being as complicated as it is, it is very possible and indeed likely that a simple structure like a symptoms list cannot properly identify the causes.

In all likelihood we're looking at the same symptoms having different causes. Who can tell the difference between a lack of inhibition of incoming signals and a lack of attention consistency. Both would cause a person to be easily distracted.

I know for a fact (tested last week) that my brain is malfunctioning specifically in the prefrontal cortex. With a qEEG they saw irregular decreases in electric activity (lapses), slowed response times and an overall lower constant brain activity. These tests are a causal connection with SCT symptoms, however my other doctor (not the one that did the tests) can only conclude, based on my symptoms and the DSM-V that I have ADHD-PI.
200 mg Sertraline
5 mg Abilify
80 mg Strattera
namazu (02-05-18)
Old 02-05-18, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluppets View Post
Ahh so now the mistake becomes clear!

You divide them into two separate groups where you do an apple and oranges count, and then you combine the two groups but you take the previous apple and oranges count. Instead you need to do a recount after you created the new combined group.

So group 1 + group 2 = group 3

Group #1

Group #2

Group #1 and Group #2 (total) = group 3

Fluppets

Where did the other 2.55% of people with apples and oranges go?

(Namazu, Where did the other 2.55% of the adult population with ADHD symptoms and SCT symptoms go?)

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 02-05-18 at 10:38 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to mildadhd For This Useful Post:
namazu (02-05-18)
Old 02-05-18, 11:01 AM

the group of people with both apples and oranges are the same group.
200 mg Sertraline
5 mg Abilify
80 mg Strattera
namazu (02-05-18)