ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > SCIENTIFIC DISCUSSIONS, RESEARCH, NEWS AND EVENTS > Scientific, Philosophical & Theoretical Discussions > Open Science & Philosophical Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Open Science & Philosophical Discussion This forum is for open discussion, encouraging new and unconventional ways of thinking, welcoming posts in any format

Old 01-31-18, 12:15 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 30,215 Times in 13,782 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Is ADHD strictly related to the production of/ lack of/ too much of Dopamine?

I always read and hear how Dopamine is the cause of adhd(lack of, too much of etc) I also do not quite understand what dopamine agonests (sp) are and what they do and how it relates to adhd and the treatments for adhd. If this is the case, is it scientifically accurate and true? Like, is it more of a theory without much proof or is it a definite?

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
mctavish23 (02-04-18)
Old 01-31-18, 12:50 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 13,583 Times in 6,062 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is ADHD strictly related to the production of/ lack of/ too much of Dopamine?

It’s a theory.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agonist

Cheers,
Ian
Old 01-31-18, 01:40 PM

Thanked 24,405 Times in 11,321 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is ADHD strictly related to the production of/ lack of/ too much of Dopamine?

Research shows that five areas of the brain are smaller in people diagnosed
adhd and that plays a part in how well the brain works.

There has also been research that shows the dura (the lining of the brain where
the synapses that carry messages is located) is thinner in people with adhd,
and therefore less capable of conveying those messages.

Apparently the dopamine receptors are located in that dura layer.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-18, 05:09 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 30,215 Times in 13,782 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeon View Post
It’s a theory.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agonist

Cheers,
Ian
To be fair, I scanned the article and it was about agonists but I have seen here repeatedly where people say their adhd or their meds are working on dopamine, or depleting dopamine- or targeting dopamine. Sometimes Ive read people who just up and decide that they should stop their antidepressants because its affecting their dopamine. How they hell do they know that?

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
aeon (01-31-18), Lunacie (01-31-18)
Old 01-31-18, 07:50 PM

Thanked 13,583 Times in 6,062 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
To be fair, I scanned the article and it was about agonists but I have seen here repeatedly where people say their adhd or their meds are working on dopamine, or depleting dopamine- or targeting dopamine. Sometimes Ive read people who just up and decide that they should stop their antidepressants because its affecting their dopamine. How they hell do they know that?
Few antidepressants, other than novel ones that have been discontinued or exist only in limited markets, work directly on dopamine in a substantial way, and for those that don’t, there may be effect as it regards overall sense of well-being, but in general, it isn’t because the dopamine function is being messed with.

As it regards saying ADHD is caused by a problem with dopamine, it is a quickly adopted idea based on a shred of would-be evidence.

In this way, it is similar to the idea of depression being caused by a neurotransmitter imbalance. It is often said this is the problem, and meds help to balance them. The idea is just that - a theory, and nothing has been proven one way or the other. For that matter, perhaps neurotransmitter imbalance is a result of depression, not a cause. No one knows for sure.

That said, I think there are multiple causes of depression, but we don’t yet understand or appreciate the number of avenues to what we eventually call a single disorder.

I think much is the same for ADHD...it is one diagnosis (with subtypes, like major depressive disorder) with many potential ways to reach that diagnosis.

In both cases, there are likely a multitude of factors contributing to the end result, but in the common vernacular, the idea of neurotransmitter problems has taken over the current day discussion and shorthand.

I think it is intellectually lazy* to say such things, if not scientifically irresponsible, but I can appreciate that no one outside of the discipline of neurophysiology (among potentially many others) has the knowledge, much less the time, to give these ideas the consideration and expression they merit.

So slang rules the roost. Unfortunately, it is often taken as gospel.

Cheers,
Ian

* I’m intellectually lazy, so it isn’t a case of the kettle calling the pot black.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
br3akingchains (02-05-18), FlipperTheWhale (01-31-18)
Old 02-01-18, 09:12 AM

Fluppets is on a distinguished road

There are multiple genes at work when it comes to ADHD, some of which are involved in Dopamine in some way (they produce it, or get triggered by it or get shut down by it etc.)

I think that's what they know; any more specific is just guesswork at this point.

from wikipedia:
A dopamine receptor agonist is a compound that activates dopamine receptors. (=a chemical that acts as dopamine)

Amphetamines (Adderall) and methylphenidate (Ritalin) are indirect agonists (they increase dopamine production and/or inhibit the reuptake of dopamine (= shut down the dopamine vacuum cleaners so there is more active dopamine))

afaik there is no way to directly get actual dopamine into the brain (in a safe manner). Same goes for Serotonin, don't eat banana's for Serotonin, it doesn't pass the blood-brain barrier. A classic anti-depressant would be an SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor), which doesn't produce Serotonin, but it prevents the reuptake (garbage collection) of extra serotonin in the synaptic cleft.
200 mg Sertraline
5 mg Abilify
40 mg Strattera (titrating upwards)
Old 02-01-18, 05:36 PM

Thanked 1,001 Times in 752 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I always read and hear how Dopamine is the cause of adhd(lack of, too much of etc) I also do not quite understand what dopamine agonests (sp) are and what they do and how it relates to adhd and the treatments for adhd. If this is the case, is it scientifically accurate and true? Like, is it more of a theory without much proof or is it a definite?

ADHD is not due to an over abundance of dopamine.

I think dopamine deficiency associated with ADHD is the effect of multiple causes. (specifics depend on the individual circumstances and individual temperament)

So, no, I do not think ADHD causation is strictly related to dopamine deficiency.

M
Old 02-02-18, 08:44 AM
Secret Squirrel!! Moderator

Thanked 13,035 Times in 5,274 Posts
TygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond repute

The short answer is no, saying that ADHD is purely due to dopamine dysfunction is a vast simplification. Most of the drugs approved for ADHD do target dopamine and its close cousin norepinephrine (noradrenaline), but there are other systems that regulate attention and arousal (acetylcholine, which is what nicotine targets being one).

It's kind of like saying that depression is due to a lack of serotonin.

"being lost,/ being crazy maybe/ is not so bad/ if you can be/ that way/ undisturbed."
Charles Bukowski
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TygerSan For This Useful Post:
aeon (02-02-18), br3akingchains (02-05-18), daveddd (02-03-18), mildadhd (02-02-18), namazu (02-02-18)
Old 02-03-18, 01:12 PM

Thanked 6,426 Times in 4,678 Posts
SB_UK has disabled reputation

Take dexedrine and we become motivated to do anything we wish.
Wasn't it used as the motivation (dull!) for house wives to do the cleaning.
What would we expect if we were to do something that is not motivational ?
To be unmotivated.
What would we expect if we were to do something that is motivational ?
To be motivated.
But what if we are expected to perform a task which we think but which we aren't actually motivated towards ?
Confused, reach for medication and hope that it works - and what if it doesn't ?
Well the workplace becomes an act of profound pain as one really cannot pay attention.

-*-

Anybody with insight into the dreary nature of their 'to do' list in this current society should be able to understand why they can't pay attention.
It's not human to be able to joyously throw oneself into anything that is dull.
aeon (02-03-18), mildadhd (02-04-18)
Old 02-03-18, 02:18 PM
ADDvanced Member

excelsior is a jewel in the roughexcelsior is a jewel in the roughexcelsior is a jewel in the rough

I thought it was a tiny, but serious, gap in a certain part of the brain.
The Following User Says Thank You to excelsior For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (02-03-18)
Old 02-03-18, 08:30 PM

Thanked 10,748 Times in 5,286 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

There is no known cause for the symptoms that make up the disorder adhd
aeon (02-03-18), br3akingchains (02-05-18), Little Missy (02-03-18)
Old 02-04-18, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB_UK View Post
Take dexedrine and we become motivated to do anything we wish.
Wasn't it used as the motivation (dull!) for house wives to do the cleaning.
What would we expect if we were to do something that is not motivational ?
To be unmotivated.
What would we expect if we were to do something that is motivational ?
To be motivated.
But what if we are expected to perform a task which we think but which we aren't actually motivated towards ?
Confused, reach for medication and hope that it works - and what if it doesn't ?
Well the workplace becomes an act of profound pain as one really cannot pay attention.

-*-

Anybody with insight into the dreary nature of their 'to do' list in this current society should be able to understand why they can't pay attention.
It's not human to be able to joyously throw oneself into anything that is dull.

Nice to think about your perspectives.

It is “human to be able to joyously throw oneself into anything that is” fun. (unless the humans’ SEEKING system, CARE system and PLAY system are under active.)

What is the difference between Hypoactivity and Underactivity?

Example?

low blood sugar, verses, a pancreas that does not produce enough insulin?

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 02-04-18 at 02:53 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to mildadhd For This Useful Post:
SB_UK (02-08-18)
Old 02-04-18, 05:36 PM

Thanked 10,120 Times in 3,183 Posts
mctavish23 has disabled reputation

Short answer : "No"

Slightly longer answer : "No it's not."

U R Welcome
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mctavish23 For This Useful Post:
aeon (02-04-18), Little Missy (02-04-18)
Old 02-04-18, 07:41 PM

Dopaminergic pathways are definitely involved, but dopaminergic pathways are definitely not the only factors involved.

M
Old 02-05-18, 06:52 AM

br3akingchains is on a distinguished road

Adenosine is another neurotransmitter that affects dopamine. If you change the number of adenosine receptors through coffee consumption and then don’t drink enough coffee to counteract all the extra adenosine due to coffee consumption it can create a state where it’s harder for dopamine to do its job.

Here’s a video that explains it very simply in the first 2.5 minutes

https://youtu.be/foLf5Bi9qXs
The Following User Says Thank You to br3akingchains For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (02-05-18)