ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-08, 04:39 PM
ADDvanced Member

soccerloven is on a distinguished road
Why does ADD cause social anxiety?

I have it very, very mildly, i have many friends and can keep relationships, etc, etc. I am innatentive though and i know i do have social anxiety to some extent. Why though? What about innatentive add causes it?

ps. i read somewhere and it was TOTALLY true (for me) that hyperactive people are better at being outgoing and people tend to like them at the beginning but that it is harder for them to keep friendships/etc.

but that the innatentive type have a harder time actually MAKING friends, but once they do, its forever. what do ya think?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to soccerloven For This Useful Post:
joyrjw (03-24-11), Lisa_Mac (02-25-18), poppetx (10-14-17)
Old 01-15-08, 04:53 PM
ADDvanced Member

Brakna will become famous soon enough
Re: Why does ADD cause social anxiety?

I'm not exactly sure what causes it, but I have it too depending on the situation. With friends, family, and co-workers I have no social anxiety at all. But put me in a room full of strangers for work/meeting or at a party and I can be a total 'wallflower'. For some reason, I also tend to isolate myself from others more in the winter time (SAD??).
eclectic beagle (02-14-11), Luthien (04-22-14)
Old 01-15-08, 05:34 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Mincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to behold

It seems to be an intrinsic aspect of the 3 ADHDs.

I think it's caused generally as we grow up we feel different, then eventually we know we are different. I think it's learned behaviour personally, but it's the result of what makes us us. Obviously people aren't always attracted to an inattentive, impulsive, hyperactive person as they would someone who listens to them, thinks before they do things, and is calm and collected. Make sense? (I should note I'm Combined ADHD)

I find myself in both categories unfortunately. I'm like the purely inattentives in that I don't make any relationship because of the social anxiety in the first place. I'm like the impulsive/hyperactives in that when I do open up, people say I'm the life of the party and "fun" whatever the hell that means. Seriously, my support worker who started working with me when I was thinking of acting on my normal baseline suicidal thoughts and was extremely anxious even said on the second visit "I'm going to like working with you, you're really fun." Hello!? WTF?

I tend to keep friends that get to know me really well forever, they never have any reason to leave me, as I'm fiercly loyal and devoted to friends. I give without asking too much actually.

Major Exception: My best friend of 6 years now wants to kill me because he really ****ed me over and I didn't take it in the ***. It caused him trouble so he's threatened to kill me and it abruptly ended our friendship.

Anyway, my thoughts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mincan For This Useful Post:
meadd823 (09-01-08)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-08, 06:42 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Luthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud of

I've read that it might be because if you're really inattentive and dreamy, you permanently live in a sort of "dream-bubble", disconnected from the real world. This should then trigger your "fight-or-flight" reflex because in this disconnected state you're more vulnerable; and that could lead to a permanent state of anxiety.

But I've also felt it in a more direct way ... I clearly remember feeling "different" even when I was 5 years old because I could not share my thoughts and emotions with others .. they thought I was strange, weird. Add being bullied because you're sluggish, shy and uncoordinated to that. I think that is a good recipe for instilling social anxiety in a child - that can last a lifetime.

Funny enough, medication (both ritalin and dex) do break down the dream bubble and the anxiety quite effectively for me.

-- the Lay of Leithian. J.R.R. Tolkien

ADD inattentive / dex 60 mg/d

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Luthien For This Useful Post:
A Humble Sinner (09-09-08), anonymouslyadd (02-14-11), Artist000 (03-24-11), chowmix (08-31-08), curseandablessi (08-30-08), DotwithADD (08-30-08), eclectic beagle (02-14-11), JollyBadger (09-03-08), joyrjw (03-24-11), kwalk (08-30-08), Mindfeed (02-19-11), poppetx (11-16-17), scarygreengiant (09-09-08), Tommy Wilhelm (02-15-11)
Old 01-15-08, 07:31 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

theta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to all

Might be related to D2 dopamine receptors.

Quote:
1: Am J Psychiatry. 2000 Mar;157(3):457-9.
Links
Comment in:
Am J Psychiatry. 2001 Feb;158(2):327-8.
Low dopamine D(2) receptor binding potential in social phobia.
Schneier FR, Liebowitz MR, Abi-Dargham A, Zea-Ponce Y, Lin SH, Laruelle M.

Anxiety Disorders Clinic and the Brain Imaging Division, New York State Psychiatric Institute, New York 10032, USA. frs1@columbia.edu

OBJECTIVE: This study compared dopamine D(2) receptor binding potential in patients with social phobia and healthy comparison subjects. METHOD: Dopamine D(2) receptor binding potential was assessed in 10 unmedicated subjects with generalized social phobia and no significant lifetime psychiatric comorbidity and 10 healthy comparison subjects matched for age and sex. Binding potential was measured in the striatum by using single photon emission computerized tomography and constant infusion of the D(2) receptor radiotracer [(123)I]iodobenzamide ([(123)I]IBZM). RESULTS: Mean D(2) receptor binding potential was significantly lower in the subjects with social phobia than in the comparison subjects. Within the social phobia group, there was a nonsignificant correlation of binding potential with the Liebowitz Social Anxiety Scale score. CONCLUSIONS: Generalized social phobia may be associated with low binding of [(123)I]IBZM to D(2) receptors in the striatum.

PMID: 10698826 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Quote:
1: Neurobiol Dis. 2007 Apr;26(1):201-11. Epub 2006 Dec 29.
Links
D2-like dopamine receptors mediate the response to amphetamine in a mouse model of ADHD.
Fan X, Hess EJ.

Department of Neurology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA.

The mechanisms underlying the effects of psychostimulants in attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) are not well understood, but indirect evidence implicates D2 dopamine receptors. Here we dissect the components of dopaminergic neurotransmission in the hyperactive mouse mutant coloboma to identify pre- and postsynaptic elements essential for the effects of amphetamine in these mice. Amphetamine treatment reduced locomotor activity in coloboma mice, but induced a robust increase in dopamine overflow suggesting that abnormal regulation of dopamine efflux does not account for the behavioral effect. However, the D2-like dopamine receptor antagonists haloperidol and raclopride, but not the D1-like dopamine receptor antagonist SCH23390, blocked the amphetamine-induced reduction in locomotor activity in coloboma mice, providing direct evidence that D2-like dopamine receptors mediate the effect of amphetamine in these mice. With the precedent established that it is possible to directly antagonize this response, this strategy should prove useful for identifying novel therapeutics in ADHD.

PMID: 17291774 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
The Following User Says Thank You to theta For This Useful Post:
FlipperTheWhale (05-16-17)
Old 01-16-08, 02:35 AM
ADDvanced Member

orbit1 will become famous soon enough

Hate it too. Was soo shy I couldnt order a ####### pizza! Much better these days though, maybe it goes away with age. It was always odd to me that people lable me as out going and I think of myself as shy. I guess both..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to orbit1 For This Useful Post:
DotwithADD (08-30-08), eclectic beagle (02-14-11), Jade Sea (02-16-11), kwalk (11-17-08)
Old 01-16-08, 03:30 AM
Banned

Bryanh30 will become famous soon enough

I agree that it is difficult for ADDers to make friends. There are so many reasons, shyness, internal worries and fear of failure to name a few. The most important thing to remember is that what we believe and how we feel about ourselves internally goes a long way in directing how you are with others and how they will like you. The more we like ourselves and build our self esteem the easier it gets to meet new people and make new friends, the good kind of friends, not just the superficial.

There is a lot more to this subject, if you like, please visit my blog, I have written several articles about relationships and ADD which might give you some insight from another ADDer's perspective.
Old 01-16-08, 05:26 AM

skilganon is on a distinguished road

hi you need to read answers to distractions by edward m hallowell mdand john j rateyit talks about this stuff i also find myself hugging the walls and off being alone at family christmas partys
The Following User Says Thank You to skilganon For This Useful Post:
kwalk (08-30-08)
Old 01-16-08, 08:07 AM

Thanked 1,450 Times in 1,165 Posts
~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerloven View Post
ps. i read somewhere and it was TOTALLY true (for me) that hyperactive people are better at being outgoing and people tend to like them at the beginning but that it is harder for them to keep friendships/etc.
?
geez..that is the most annoying trait....I hate that...

CHINESE PROVERB
Old 01-16-08, 12:10 PM
ADDvanced Member

scottm has a spectacular aura aboutscottm has a spectacular aura about

For me, I too get anxious when it comes to interacting with strangers. Prior to being drugged - er, medicated - I'd get a rush of 'if, else' conditions that would flood my head and all these scenarios would start spreading like wildfire througout my head, what if they say/do this, ask that, do they know about this/that, do I hold the door, open it first, etc..

That's all just within the first few seconds of the "engagement". So ultimately, I found it easier to just avoid people because the stress became too much.

Now, I find it easier for me to just let others initiate. Let them take the first stab at it and then I can manage my way from there but I'll rarely (if ever) initiate conversations with strangers. Secondly, if it's someone I know or sort of know, or think I know - I'll 9 times out of 10, do the same - let them take the first step.

I figure that way, if they don't say anything to me then they don't want to talk to me and therefore saves me from embarassing myself or wasting their time.
The Following User Says Thank You to scottm For This Useful Post:
Jade Sea (02-16-11)
Old 01-16-08, 01:40 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

busyhermit is just really nicebusyhermit is just really nicebusyhermit is just really nicebusyhermit is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luthien View Post
But I've also felt it in a more direct way ... I clearly remember feeling "different" even when I was 5 years old because I could not share my thoughts and emotions with others .. they thought I was strange, weird. Add being bullied because you're sluggish, shy and uncoordinated to that. I think that is a good recipe for instilling social anxiety in a child - that can last a lifetime.
Wow, I totally relate! As early as I can remember the evidence began to build that there was "something wrong with me" ... that I was different. As a child I tended to be lost in my own thoughts and unaware of what was going on around me - and this was pointed out to me time after time (got called space-cadet, too, of course). Forgot to do things all the time and was called a liar for it. Oh my, and then came school. Couldn't relate to others. Felt baffled by them and afraid of them. I'd had an over-abundance of anxiety already, and once I had my first sand-castle stomped in kindergarten I realized that people are dangerous and not to be trusted. Invisibility became my defense mechanism. Quite effective in class, but impossible in Phys Ed - which became an ongoing nightmare.

So what chicken/egg came before what egg/chicken? I'm sure there are many of us who handled rejection without immediately constructing barriers against the entire world as I did. I'm positive that my life experiences were not extraordinarily bad. I just had an extraordinarily bad reaction to them.

Is ADHD responsible for my social anxiety? I suppose it contributed to me feeling so different in the first place, but I don't really know. I can't imagine what's it's like to be another way so just can't project it. I had so much anxiety to begin with (born into fear, it seems), that it may not have made any difference - since we're always bound to be hurt by someone eventually.

soccerloven - You say you have it very, very mildly - I've known people who appear to be very confident and outgoing on the outside, but have many hidden insecurities. Its possible that the people around you are feeling the same way.

"PARADISE... is exactly like where you are right now, only much... much... better..." - Laurie Anderson

I must've gotten here late because I didn't get the hand-out...
The Following User Says Thank You to busyhermit For This Useful Post:
joyrjw (03-24-11)
Old 01-16-08, 02:16 PM

Thanked 6,462 Times in 4,711 Posts
SB_UK has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR
post 2
"The unexamined life is not worth living."

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH
post 11
"PARADISE... is exactly like where you are right now, only much... much... better..." - Laurie
Anderson

exactly

:-)

Quote:
Why does ADD cause social anxiety?
Because :

-1-
life around life unexaminers (nonADDers) is not worth living
-2-
PARADISE'd be exactly where we are right now, only much... much... better... if it weren't for nonADDer unconstrained illogical behaviour.

ADD and (not ADD) are modalities of thought
- not people.

Quote:
(nonADDer) + honest self enquiry (proper education) -> ADDer
Sense wasn't enough - it seemed
{{{clears voice}}}

- a renegade group of freedom fighters -

:-)
(it seemed)
were *needed* to be made to feel 'bad'
- to usher in immediate societal change -
- so it seemed

to align our actual and idealized behaviours

- to free our selves from our former self -
and NOT some other self.

-*-

Social anxiety (taking the other perspective)
... is seeing the look on the face of some hardened nonADD thought process container vessel - when ADDer engages
hypehyperdrihyperdriveverdrive.

Imagine a nonADDer thought process in the company of ADDers.

ADD is contagious
- the infectious idea or meme as the higher neural correlate to its associated lower physical structure (of the nerve cell)
as essentially equivalent to the
->- virus (container vessel to 'selfish' genes)

Social anxiety
... is seeing the look on the face of some hardened nonADD thought process container vessel - when ADDer engages
hypehyperdrihyperdriveverdrive and then starts criss-crossing lines of thought with seemingly bizarre tangential connectivities.

-*-

ADDer fun

(an aside)

find some annoying egocentric nonADDer -
then play with his mind.

Keep going faster -
and faster -
and faster ... ... ...

he'll learn
they all learn

(eventually)

how to engage -
- and with engagement - they become 'better' -
where 'better' cannot be defined without adopting a perspective over man with mind -
- rather than the view through the eyes of mind of man.

Last edited by SB_UK; 01-16-08 at 02:18 PM.. Reason: Tags added :: Plato-Socrates,Anderson-Reed
Old 01-16-08, 03:18 PM

Mincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to behold

wow, you are cool.
Old 01-16-08, 03:25 PM
ADDvanced Member

Iluvpoptarts is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerloven View Post
I have it very, very mildly, i have many friends and can keep relationships, etc, etc. I am innatentive though and i know i do have social anxiety to some extent. Why though? What about innatentive add causes it?

but that the innatentive type have a harder time actually MAKING friends, but once they do, its forever. what do ya think?
I agree with what you said.. Its probably because Add are calmer and people like them more? idk.. they're not as impulsive
Adhd are all over the place and impulsive which may cause them to say "the wrong thing at the wrong time" and ppl dont like that?.. plus some1 hyper could get annoying
Old 01-16-08, 04:32 PM
ADDvanced Member

nikkiana will become famous soon enough

Most my social anxiety tends to be concentrated around group interaction... If you get me in a social situation where there tends to be several people in a conversation, I tend to get overwhelmed, especially if it's a subject that interests me and I want to get involved. I have a really hard time formulating thoughts for conversation... it feels like my brain tends to process the information just a tiny bit slower than everyone else, so by the time I get a fully completed thought ready to say and interject in conversation, it's too late. The conversation generally has already moved on from the point where I was trying to respond. It's frustrating.... I feel like I rarely get the chance to be heard... and I'd rather just not deal with the entire thing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikkiana For This Useful Post:
Artist000 (03-24-11), joyrjw (03-24-11)