ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-18, 11:07 PM
ADDvanced Member

traze23 will become famous soon enough
I keep thinking I'm a famous person

I have suffered with ADD&depression for more than twenty years followed by anxiety and OCD. Now I believe I have some kind of other disorder because....

....I keep thinking I'm a famous person! Everyday! Its either a music artist or a politician. I know I'm not famous but everyday I can't help but imagine/daydream being a famous person. For example, sometimes I imagine I'm a president giving the state of the union address or rapper performing a concert.

This has happened for a couple of years, even before medications but IDK when it started. I don't want to have these thoughts because they're not real, a waste of time, and I'm just so sick of them. Furthermore, I'm afraid if I keep going this route I will think me being famous is real. It make me wonder if I have a personality disorder or some delusional disorder because this is not normal and I cannot stop having these thoughts. As weird as it sounds, its like an addiction. I should also point I am very anti social and a loner. Maybe I'm trying to fill a hole and I don't know it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to traze23 For This Useful Post:
daveddd (02-16-18), Lash107 (02-05-18), mildadhd (01-30-18)
Old 01-29-18, 11:54 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all
Re: I keep thinking I'm a famous person

Having aspirational fantasies about future success is not the same as a delusion, which would be if you actually believed that you will achieve it. For instance, I sometimes dream about winning the lottery, but I don't organize my life around an expectation that I will actually win it.

I think you should look into mindfulness strategies. You can't prevent your mind from thinking negative thoughts, but you can learn to stop being stuck thinking about your thinking.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CharlesH For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (01-30-18), ToneTone (02-16-18)
Old 01-30-18, 01:00 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,227 Times in 925 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation

I used to sign my name on all the undersides of all the furniture, chairs, tables, desks, etc, with crayon when I was a kid, just in case I became famous, in the hope that the furniture would be worth more money, if it had my signature on them.

I still feel like I am going to have to deal with being famous, if I ever do any of the things that I want to do.

But I do not want to be famous.

I am almost 45 now, and realize I have had lots of opportunities, and I better pick one of my ideas and start working on it before I turn into a butterfly.

Do you want to be famous?

M
Batman55 (01-31-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-18, 01:28 AM

Thanked 6,477 Times in 3,092 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

I do this as well. I'm the worlds number one DJ and everybody adores me.

Back to reality, i'm universally despised.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (01-30-18)
Old 01-30-18, 05:33 AM
ADDvanced Member

DeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to behold

I experienced this mainly when i was young. day-dreaming i would become a succesfull writer, or an otherwise powerfull figure.

I guess those were just a self-soothing fantasy to escape from that other fantasy i subjected myself to; that i was worthless, a failure and before all else, totally powerless to do anything about it.

I only did not realise that both were a false perception of my reality.

I wouldn't say these dreams are a waste of energy. they only tend to project outwardly what you need inside. So you dream of success and power as a means to finally like yourself, instead of finding a more lasting "inner consensus" about your likeability.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DeClutter For This Useful Post:
daveddd (02-16-18), Fuzzy12 (01-30-18), mildadhd (01-30-18), traze23 (01-30-18)
Old 01-30-18, 11:46 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
Having aspirational fantasies about future success is not the same as a delusion, which would be if you actually believed that you will achieve it. For instance, I sometimes dream about winning the lottery, but I don't organize my life around an expectation that I will actually win it.

I think you should look into mindfulness strategies. You can't prevent your mind from thinking negative thoughts, but you can learn to stop being stuck thinking about your thinking.
Why not?
Old 01-30-18, 11:47 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
I used to sign my name on all the undersides of all the furniture, chairs, tables, desks, etc, with crayon when I was a kid, just in case I became famous, in the hope that the furniture would be worth more money, if it had my signature on them.

I still feel like I am going to have to deal with being famous, if I ever do any of the things that I want to do.

But I do not want to be famous.

I am almost 45 now, and realize I have had lots of opportunities, and I better pick one of my ideas and start working on it before I turn into a butterfly.

Do you want to be famous?

M
No I do not but I used to when I was younger.
Old 01-31-18, 12:52 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeClutter View Post
I experienced this mainly when i was young. day-dreaming i would become a succesfull writer, or an otherwise powerfull figure.

I guess those were just a self-soothing fantasy to escape from that other fantasy i subjected myself to; that i was worthless, a failure and before all else, totally powerless to do anything about it.

I only did not realise that both were a false perception of my reality.

I wouldn't say these dreams are a waste of energy. they only tend to project outwardly what you need inside. So you dream of success and power as a means to finally like yourself, instead of finding a more lasting "inner consensus" about your likeability.
Great Post! This is some deep stuff. See, I don't have any friends mainly because I can't socialize. When for example a colleague tells a joke, IDK how to respond, I just have a fake laugh. I'm also horrible at conversations. 99% of the time there are no words in my head. I had the same difficulty when I was in school and had to write a paper. I knew what I wanted to write about but my brain couldn't turn them into words so a two page paper would take me about 5 or 6 hours to complete.

No friends and never had a girlfriend....I wonder if this why I constantly keep thinking I'm a famous person? It helps to get out of this life and personality I have which I hate.
The Following User Says Thank You to traze23 For This Useful Post:
DeClutter (01-31-18)
Old 01-31-18, 12:54 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by traze23 View Post
Why not?
I don't know - it's just how the human mind works. The more you tell your mind to not think a certain thought, the more likely it is that your mind will dwell on that thought. The more effective approach is to get better at managing your response to those negative thoughts whenever they do occur.
The Following User Says Thank You to CharlesH For This Useful Post:
DeClutter (01-31-18)
Old 02-05-18, 04:05 AM

Lash107 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I have suffered with ADD&depression for more than twenty years followed by anxiety and OCD. Now I believe I have some kind of other disorder because....

....I keep thinking I'm a famous person! Everyday! Its either a music artist or a politician. I know I'm not famous but everyday I can't help but imagine/daydream being a famous person. For example, sometimes I imagine I'm a president giving the state of the union address or rapper performing a concert.

This has happened for a couple of years, even before medications but IDK when it started. I don't want to have these thoughts because they're not real, a waste of time, and I'm just so sick of them. Furthermore, I'm afraid if I keep going this route I will think me being famous is real. It make me wonder if I have a personality disorder or some delusional disorder because this is not normal and I cannot stop having these thoughts.
Hi traze,

How are you today? I want to preface my post by saying I’m not judging you whatsoever. I have had delusions. I’m also not attempting to diagnose you nor tell you that you’re not famous. I have a few questions and maybe “food for thought.”

You said you imagine that you are a famous person....is that fantasizing you’re someone famous? For example, some people have maladaptive daydreaming and it’s a form of escapism from “real life.”

-If you know you’re imagining you’re famous, it sounds like you’re grounded with reality and it is a fantasy that is intensifying strongly. It’s hard to control but you know you’re not famous. Is that what you mean?

Or, are you famous? I’m not encouraging or discouraging you...we have never met, of course. Your reality is, well...your reality. If you aren’t famous and don’t realize it, it’s a break from reality .... but it is “real”for you.

I wanted to empathize with you. You’re going through hard times and it sounds like for awhile. It’s intensifying, you said. Have you been under a lot of stress? Is you’re mind “wandering” away from daily life part of your ADD/ADHD? Are you sleeping well?

I also have OCD and it’s more behavior-related, not thinking. How about your OCD, if you don’t mind sharing?

I’m not playing armchair psychologist....I wanted to reply to support you and encourage you to tell your doctor. Tell him or her who you are or think you are....about being famous.

Try not to stress but please keep us posted. Personality disorders....some do have characteristics of “magical thinking” and social “isolation,” but that’s not a source of anxiety for them. You sound anxious about your life and perhaps want relationships and friends. That’s good! Our mind can wander to escape our reality. Famous people have more social interaction than any of us, I bet!

Daydreaming intensely/reinforcement by thinking its real versus it IS real. You mentioned psychosis which is typically unrelated to PDs.

This is treatable and I wish you well and keep us posted on how things are. Or, feel free to PM me anytime. Things may not feel ok right now...but they are ok. You’re ok....you need to see a doctor, soon, but things overall are ok and can get clearer. Take care.

Last edited by Lash107; 02-05-18 at 04:32 AM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lash107 For This Useful Post:
daveddd (02-16-18), finallyfound10 (02-06-18), traze23 (02-22-18)
Old 02-05-18, 04:19 AM

Lash107 is on a distinguished road

PS: I think therapy is a good idea but I think seeing a psychiatrist is the first priority.

You sound lucid (not psychotic), but distressed and you expressed that socializing is extremely hard (I relate there, too)...

You mentioned anxiety and I was wondering if you’ve been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder? Anxiety is no joke. Mindfulness and CBT, DBT, etc., are helpful. I have Social Anxiety and my treatment consists of medication and therapy. Knowing what’s happening with you helps determine what kind of help need. Or, at least that is my experience and that includes medication and therapy.

You deserve happiness and seeking medical mental help ... that’s empowering to take that step, especially when you know your daily function is concerning you and you are unhappy with aspects of your life.

Last edited by Lash107; 02-05-18 at 04:35 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lash107 For This Useful Post:
finallyfound10 (02-06-18), traze23 (02-22-18)
Old 02-06-18, 04:29 AM

Thanked 1,561 Times in 861 Posts
finallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

This has happened for a couple of years, even before medications but IDK when it started. I don't want to have these thoughts because they're not real, a waste of time, and I'm just so sick of them. Furthermore, I'm afraid if I keep going this route I will think me being famous is real. It make me wonder if I have a personality disorder or some delusional disorder because this is not normal and I cannot stop having these thoughts. As weird as it sounds, its like an addiction. I should also point I am very anti social and a loner. Maybe I'm trying to fill a hole and I don't know it.
You do not have delusions or personality disorder. Delusions are fixed, false beliefs and the type that you think you have are called delusions of grandeur.

You stated that you know that they are not real, they are a waste of time and are sick of them. You are afraid that if you continue, you will think that it's real. In hearing all of this, you clearly have good insight and are based in reality. Delusional people do not think this way but they can after getting treated with the proper therapies (anti-psychotics, mood stabilizers, anti-depressants, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.)

I am a nurse on an inpatient psychiatric unit and see truly delusional people often. It is wonderful to see them do better with the proper therapies. Sometimes they go away completely and sometimes they lessen in intensity but are still there. Each case is different.

All of that being said, I think I understand what you are dealing with from personal experience. I used to have a social life with friends, talked on the phone, emailed, went out to eat, etc. I went to church and volunteered and lead a normal life. I no longer do any of that now and haven't for about 6-7 years. Something happened and do to poor coping skills and lack of resiliency, I didn't handle it well at all and withdrew from life except for going to work and school. There is more to it but my point is that I have been socially isolated for years.

You stated that you are "very anti social and a loner. Maybe I'm trying to fill a hole and I don't know it." We are social creatures so we should be and need to be in social contact with other humans in purposeful ways- not work or school but with people who we choose to be with in a social way and develop real friendships in person not just online. When people are socially isolated for long periods of time, our mind goes places in a sort of self-preservation type of way. I know that the things that come to mind or that I think about now are not at all the same as when I had a "normal" life and think that I'm (my mind is) trying to "fill a hole."

I have thought about this and know that if I began to be social and not be a loner, that my mind would be different and if you did the same, yours would be too. It is something to give serious consideration to since these thoughts that you are having are distressing to you. For me, the social isolation is really starting to get to me and I actually feel lonely and want to be more social. The numb feeling and subconscious need to I guess "protect myself" are waning.

Best of luck to you!
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to finallyfound10 For This Useful Post:
daveddd (02-16-18), Little Missy (02-06-18), traze23 (02-22-18)
Old 02-16-18, 08:35 PM

Thanked 11,261 Times in 5,501 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

could just be automatic learned self esteem regulation

grandiose fantasy is a very common defense against emotional/self esteem dysregulation
Little Missy (02-16-18), traze23 (02-22-18)
Old 02-16-18, 08:41 PM

daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveddd View Post
could just be automatic learned self esteem regulation

grandiose fantasy is a very common defense against emotional/self esteem dysregulation
if youre looking for a name with the loner thing, could be schizoid/avoidant defenses , which doesnt mean disorder
Little Missy (02-16-18), traze23 (02-22-18)
Old 02-16-18, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finallyfound10 View Post
You do not have delusions or personality disorder. Delusions are fixed, false beliefs and the type that you think you have are called delusions of grandeur.

You stated that you know that they are not real, they are a waste of time and are sick of them. You are afraid that if you continue, you will think that it's real. In hearing all of this, you clearly have good insight and are based in reality. Delusional people do not think this way but they can after getting treated with the proper therapies (anti-psychotics, mood stabilizers, anti-depressants, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.)

I am a nurse on an inpatient psychiatric unit and see truly delusional people often. It is wonderful to see them do better with the proper therapies. Sometimes they go away completely and sometimes they lessen in intensity but are still there. Each case is different.

All of that being said, I think I understand what you are dealing with from personal experience. I used to have a social life with friends, talked on the phone, emailed, went out to eat, etc. I went to church and volunteered and lead a normal life. I no longer do any of that now and haven't for about 6-7 years. Something happened and do to poor coping skills and lack of resiliency, I didn't handle it well at all and withdrew from life except for going to work and school. There is more to it but my point is that I have been socially isolated for years.

You stated that you are "very anti social and a loner. Maybe I'm trying to fill a hole and I don't know it." We are social creatures so we should be and need to be in social contact with other humans in purposeful ways- not work or school but with people who we choose to be with in a social way and develop real friendships in person not just online. When people are socially isolated for long periods of time, our mind goes places in a sort of self-preservation type of way. I know that the things that come to mind or that I think about now are not at all the same as when I had a "normal" life and think that I'm (my mind is) trying to "fill a hole."

I have thought about this and know that if I began to be social and not be a loner, that my mind would be different and if you did the same, yours would be too. It is something to give serious consideration to since these thoughts that you are having are distressing to you. For me, the social isolation is really starting to get to me and I actually feel lonely and want to be more social. The numb feeling and subconscious need to I guess "protect myself" are waning.

Best of luck to you!
very good post (i cant give rep for some reason)

you put into words how i feel, i think the rejection senstivity/shame is hugely overlooked in ADHD and its detrimental (i recently started therapy for it, my diagnosis is avoidant personality disorder but its the same thing)

my doc suggested i read brene brown
finallyfound10 (02-16-18), Little Missy (02-16-18)