ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Women with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Women with ADD/ADHD This forum is for women to discuss issues related to being a woman with AD/HD.

Old 12-18-17, 03:55 PM

wind&snow is on a distinguished road
What is ADD anyway? And how does it affect you in your daily life?

I will most probably be diagnosed with ADD soon, but since the diagnostic process has been so slow I've had a bunch of time to think about the likelihood of me actually having ADD. Sometimes I'm like: "I'm a perfectly well-functioning human being I can't have ADD" and other times I'm like: "Well, I definitely have ADD".

I think the confusion arises from the symptoms associated with ADD being so widespread in a sense. Who doesn't procrastinate? Does anyone who's a little disorganized have ADD?

So, I just thought it would be great to hear someone who isn't so doubtful of their ADD diagnosis describe how it affects you in your daily life. What do you struggle with? What's the main concerns that tell you "yes, I definitely have ADD" as opposed to just being a bit disorganized?

I think the biggest sign for me that I indeed have ADD, which may sound small and insignificant (and silly), is the fact that if I wear a coat and have things in my pockets and then wear a bag and have things in there, that's just too much stuff for me to keep track of. Coat + pockets + things in there + bag + things in there. The likelihood of me losing something under such horrid conditions (ha!) is strikingly high. Or is that just me being weird?

But then again, in other settings (that doesn't involve my home and/or a coat with pockets I can actually be quite organized.) And then I'm confused again about the likelihood of me having ADD.

However, I just thought I'd drop by and ask if someone could give a little closer description on how, specifically ADD, affects you from small insignificant things (such as things in pockets) to bigger issues. How does one know for sure?
The Following User Says Thank You to wind&snow For This Useful Post:
Tetrahedra (01-12-18)
Old 12-18-17, 09:08 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 25,924 Times in 12,090 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What is ADD anyway? And how does it affect you in your daily life?

Yeah, everyone has moments now and then when they can't remember where
they parked the car or missed an appointment they forgot about.

If you have symptoms so often that they impair your ability to manage your
adulting, that's not typical, that is adhd.

For some examples of things we wouldn't do if we didn't have adhd, check out
this(very long) thread ...
http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107235

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
aeon (12-20-17), Ronelh (12-20-17), stef (12-20-17)
Old 12-20-17, 11:48 AM
ADDvanced Member

Ronelh has disabled reputation

Sure, everyone forgets stuff and some people are disorganized. But with ADHD it is a problem to a point where it is beyond normal, and makes your daily life truly difficult. The details of how it affects a person's life vary greatly from person to person.

The biggest thing for me is my absent-mindedness - much more than is normal for someone my age. I'm only 36, but I am really as forgetful as someone twice my age. Always forgetting where I put stuff and wandering around the house for it, or walking into rooms and forgetting why I went in there. I had a coworker who kept asking me if I was going into early senility, and that she hoped she didn't need to be around me when I get old. She was joking and not intending to be mean when she said it, so I wasn't offended, but it was one of the things that made me wonder what is wrong with me. I've always been like that, so it's not like I've suddenly gotten brain damage or something, it's a lifelong condition.

Attention problems affect a lot of things. Like, I'm always tripping over things because I'm thinking about what I'm doing and not about where I'm walking. And I often miss important parts of conversations (especially in groups, where I get more distracted) because I zone out in the middle. Everyone has lapses of attention, but to be so zoned out you constantly trip over stuff and don't hear what people say is not the same as "normal" lapses of attention.

There are other things too, but I don't want to make this a super long post.
aeon (12-20-17), stef (12-20-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-17, 12:51 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 27,031 Times in 13,128 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone will do these things "occasionally" ; and then at the same time someone with ADHD will not have all of the possible symptoms, all of the time;

I was always quite sure I had it but thought I would probably be on the lower end of the spectrum (which is actually true); and there are also things like rarely forgetting appointments ;and having little trouble reading an article or a book, as long as I found it enjoyable.

But then also, this kind of thing, every day (I quote the above post as these are exactly, my symptoms):

Always forgetting where I put stuff and wandering around the house for it, or walking into rooms and forgetting why I went in there.

I'm always tripping over things because I'm thinking about what I'm doing and not about where I'm walking. And I often miss important parts of conversations (especially in groups, where I get more distracted) because I zone out in the middle.

It was only after I started taking meds that much of this, simply stopped. It was to the point that I actually could not SEE what I was doing, because of the other thoughts always crowding each other out.

The week during the meds trial when I went went from 10 to 20 mg of Ritalin, I was walking back to the office from lunch, along this very long boulevard and I realized that I had never in eight years, seen the entire thing, all at once. I looked up and saw the end, the trees and streets along the middle, and also the stores right next to me.

So, even if you're not sure, continue getting your diagnosis and hopefully you will find the right meds
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
aeon (12-20-17), Little Missy (12-20-17), Ronelh (12-21-17)
Old 12-21-17, 04:00 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,280 Times in 14,940 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

The difference is in occasional or sometimes or very often and frequently.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
stef (12-21-17)
Old 01-12-18, 02:39 AM
ADDvanced Member

Tetrahedra is just really niceTetrahedra is just really niceTetrahedra is just really niceTetrahedra is just really nice

I'm rarely in the "present." I am in my head, focusing on the past or the future or things that will never occur. It's hard to focus on what is happening in the here and now, which sometimes means that I make stupid mistakes.

I forget things a lot. And not just in a clumsy, cutesy way like a dopey heroine in a novel. Like I forget what I just spoke to someone about thirty seconds ago, and I forget that I promised someone I'd do something until it's too late, and I forget that we've had this conversation before. Because I wasn't paying enough attention on a subconscious level, even if I felt like I was paying attention.

I walk into rooms to do something. Forget what I was going to do. Walk out of the room. Remember. Walk back into the room - forgotten again.

I miss questions on tests that I knew the answer to. But I read them wrong, or my mind blipped out, or I didn't answer the question completely.

Nothing gets finished unless there's a deadline, and then the finished project doesn't really reflect what I could do if I functioned "normally."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tetrahedra For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (01-12-18), Ronelh (01-17-18)