ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Women with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Women with ADD/ADHD This forum is for women to discuss issues related to being a woman with AD/HD.

Old 12-08-17, 12:08 AM

gibsoncat is on a distinguished road
ADHD Inattentive - don't have some typical symptoms?

I'm a woman in my early twenties who's recently been diagnosed with ADHD Inattentive subtype. Been reading more about ADHD and specifically symptoms related to the inattentive subtype in women. There are some major things that I notice in myself (inability to focus, not listening when being spoken to, forgetful with dates and appointments if it's not in my calendar, etc) which led to my diagnosis in the first place.

Just wondering about a few things that don't seem to apply to me about the condition though - I'm not very messy, generally keeping things quite tidy. I have a very good memory for where objects have been placed (no losing keys for me). I also have a very high energy level, and can keep moving and moving, but suffer from moderate fatigue when sitting down longer than 15ish minutes.

Anyone else diagnosed with ADHD inattentive subtype also have these differences? Maybe they're related to other issues I have or have had? Any suggestions?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gibsoncat For This Useful Post:
aeon (01-05-18), stef (01-05-18)
Old 12-11-17, 12:44 PM
ADDvanced Member

Ronelh has disabled reputation
Re: ADHD Inattentive - don't have some typical symptoms?

it's possible that you just don't have all the symptoms, or that you have found some great ways to compensate. Not everyone has all the symptoms. There are a few that I don't have, like most ADHDI are always late but I am pretty punctual, though mostly because I am kinda OCD about being on time. Also a lot have trouble getting to sleep at night and waking up in the morning because of an overactive brain, but I'm the opposite: I fall asleep easily but I wake up at silly hours like 3:30 am with my mind already racing.

I should say that I haven't been officially diagnosed, though I am pretty certain I have it. It runs in the family, and I have had most of the other symptoms since childhood.

So anyway, not having some of the symptoms doesn't necessarily mean your diagnosis is wrong.
stef (01-05-18)
Old 12-11-17, 01:07 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 25,554 Times in 11,904 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

How were you diagnosed? Did you fill out any questionaires?

The DSM-5 is most often used to diagnose mental health issues. It lists 9
traits or symptoms of inattentive adhd, but only 5 of those are needed for a
diagnosis in adults. So it's quite possible not to have all of the symptoms but
still be diagnosed with inattentive adhd.

Quote:
DSM-5 Criteria for ADHD

People with ADHD show a persistent pattern of inattention and/or hyperactivity–impulsivity that interferes with functioning or development:

Inattention: Six or more symptoms of inattention for children up to age 16, or five or more for adolescents 17 and older and adults; symptoms of inattention have been present for at least 6 months, and they are inappropriate for developmental level:

Often fails to give close attention to details or makes careless mistakes in schoolwork, at work, or with other activities.
Often has trouble holding attention on tasks or play activities.
Often does not seem to listen when spoken to directly.
Often does not follow through on instructions and fails to finish schoolwork, chores, or duties in the workplace (e.g., loses focus, side-tracked).
Often has trouble organizing tasks and activities.
Often avoids, dislikes, or is reluctant to do tasks that require mental effort over a long period of time (such as schoolwork or homework).
Often loses things necessary for tasks and activities (e.g. school materials, pencils, books, tools, wallets, keys, paperwork, eyeglasses, mobile telephones).
Is often easily distracted
Is often forgetful in daily activities.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
aeon (01-05-18), stef (01-05-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-18, 05:08 AM

mandyhg is on a distinguished road

I too am inattentive but do not have the disorganized part. My house is super organized and I rarely lose things. But I also know it is a part of the coping strategies I came up with to help with the chaos of growing up undiagnosed and running a house with two kids and not being diagnosed until after they both were. I find I need my environment organized to help the chaos I feel in my brain when it is racing.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mandyhg For This Useful Post:
aeon (01-05-18), kwalk (01-25-18), stef (01-05-18)
Old 01-05-18, 11:08 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 14,551 Times in 6,499 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Percentages reflect my presentation - unmedicated/on Dexedrine:

20%/05% - Often fails to give close attention to details or makes careless mistakes in schoolwork, at work, or with other activities.
50%/15% - Often has trouble holding attention on tasks or play activities.
33%/00% - Often does not seem to listen when spoken to directly.
75%/15% - Often does not follow through on instructions and fails to finish schoolwork, chores, or duties in the workplace (e.g., loses focus, side-tracked).
67%/10% - Often has trouble organizing tasks and activities.
75%/15% - Often avoids, dislikes, or is reluctant to do tasks that require mental effort over a long period of time (such as schoolwork or homework).
33%/05% - Often loses things necessary for tasks and activities (e.g. school materials, pencils, books, tools, wallets, keys, paperwork, eyeglasses, mobile telephones).
95%/15% - Is often easily distracted
75%/15% - Is often forgetful in daily activities.

Rough estimates, of course.

And for sure, the ability to better make use of tools and skills when medicated means my presentation of disability is even less when I make use of lists, reminders, schedules, etc.

Cheers,
Ian
The Following User Says Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (06-11-18)
Old 01-17-18, 09:41 PM

gibsoncat is on a distinguished road

Thanks all.

I went through as many quizzes as I could find when a close friend first brought up that they thought my issues might be because I had ADD. But when I was officially diagnosed I did a more in depth test as well as the 5/9 traits test and discussed everything with the Dr. who ended up diagnosing me.

Mostly I was worried about having been misdiagnosed, but thinking back, there were a few statements that I had just managed to figure out a way to cope with already so I didn't realize that I actually did have those symptoms. Definitely have disorganization with managing and completing tasks - just not physical disorganization.