ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Inattentive ADD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Inattentive ADD A forum set aside for the the discussion of inattention and inattentive ADD

Old 01-27-18, 09:27 AM
Jr Member

Snoozy is on a distinguished road
Inattentive ADHD, Sleep & You (Survey)

Hi All,

I'm an Inattentive who has had sleeping issues for far too long now (since the turn of the millenium or so) in terms of sleeping too much. My sleep has always been the most troublesome of my symptoms and drives me round the bend. I digress..

All of the research overlap in terms of ADHD and sleeping problems is fascinating to me. I'd be grateful if some of you could participate in a questionnaire I've set up. It's only ten questions long, anonymous and you will be able to see the other responses upon completion.

With a free account, 100 people maximum can take the survey (not that I'm expecting that much uptake, but it would be nice!). Even if you have no issues sleeping, I'd still really appreciate your participation in just the first two questions - you can click through the others and submit.

There are other areas I'd like to explore (e.g. comorbidities with anxiety/depression and how they might affect any sleeping issues), but for now with the free features I think the existing questions will be an interesting jumping off point.

Many thanks in advance to anyone who fills this out. You can find it at https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/WY5398Y.

Snoozy
The Following User Says Thank You to Snoozy For This Useful Post:
DeClutter (01-31-18)
Old 01-31-18, 05:33 AM

Fluppets is on a distinguished road
Re: Inattentive ADHD, Sleep & You (Survey)

Haha your name is Snoozy!

Wow these results are eerily similar to my own responses!

/jk Im the only participant
200 mg Sertraline
5 mg Abilify
40 mg Strattera (titrating upwards)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fluppets For This Useful Post:
DeClutter (01-31-18), Snoozy (01-31-18)
Old 01-31-18, 07:09 AM

DeClutter is a name known to allDeClutter is a name known to allDeClutter is a name known to allDeClutter is a name known to allDeClutter is a name known to allDeClutter is a name known to allDeClutter is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluppets View Post
/jk Im the only participant
Not anymore :-)

Great questionnaire btw.

Generally, i either sleep to litlle (my mind is most active in the evening and hard to shut down) or i sleep too much (probably catching up from sleep deprivation or mild depression)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeClutter For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (02-02-18), Snoozy (01-31-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-18, 08:46 AM
Jr Member

Thanks for filling it out, guys.

Yep, I'm snoozy because I sleep too much. It'll be interesting to see how many Snoozies there are overall - I'm probably expecting mixed sleeping problems to be the most common (too much/too little), but who knows?

Thanks Admins, for letting me post this.
Old 01-31-18, 11:55 AM

Ronelh has disabled reputation

I should say that I filled out the questionnaire but I am not officially diagnosed. However, I'm pretty sure I have inattentive type ADHD. I have nearly all the main symptoms, and I am pretty sure I have always had them to some extent, it just wasn't as obvious when I was a kid growing up in a very supportive and well-structured family, where so many things were organized by my very well-organized mother.

I have read that a lot of people with ADHD have trouble sleeping. Most have a hard time falling asleep because their minds are too active in the evenings. I have the opposite problem. I fall asleep okay, but I wake up too early (like, 3-5 am) with my mind wide awake and begging me to start my day. Kind of a nice problem in some ways, but annoying when I have to stay up late for any reason, because I am unable to sleep later.

Lately, I have done somewhat better by disciplining myself to a regular routine of bedtimes, not letting myself turn on any lights or turn on my tablet before 5 am, and using my MP3 player to take my mind off all the stuff I know I need to do that day. I am now often able to sleep past 5 am, instead of waking at 3:30 or 4:00 and not being able to get back to sleep. As long as I am able to get to bed by about 10:30 pm, that is bearable. I seem to manage okay on 6 hours of sleep.

I often listen to Mike Duncan's History of Rome podcast to help me sleep - not because it's boring, but because it is interesting enough to get my mind off other matters, but nothing loud or so stimulating that it keeps me awake. Also it is a lot of episodes so it lasts for a long time. It works well most of the time, I don't even hear much Roman history.
Snoozy (01-31-18), ToneTone (02-12-18)
Old 01-31-18, 12:26 PM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 13,168 Times in 6,523 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

Took it

((((((((((((((MOM))))))))))))))
I'll always fondly remember.

The Following User Says Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
Snoozy (01-31-18)
Old 01-31-18, 12:35 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronelh View Post
I should say that I filled out the questionnaire but I am not officially diagnosed. However, I'm pretty sure I have inattentive type ADHD. I have nearly all the main symptoms, and I am pretty sure I have always had them to some extent, it just wasn't as obvious when I was a kid growing up in a very supportive and well-structured family, where so many things were organized by my very well-organized mother.

I have read that a lot of people with ADHD have trouble sleeping. Most have a hard time falling asleep because their minds are too active in the evenings. I have the opposite problem. I fall asleep okay, but I wake up too early (like, 3-5 am) with my mind wide awake and begging me to start my day. Kind of a nice problem in some ways, but annoying when I have to stay up late for any reason, because I am unable to sleep later.

Lately, I have done somewhat better by disciplining myself to a regular routine of bedtimes, not letting myself turn on any lights or turn on my tablet before 5 am, and using my MP3 player to take my mind off all the stuff I know I need to do that day. I am now often able to sleep past 5 am, instead of waking at 3:30 or 4:00 and not being able to get back to sleep. As long as I am able to get to bed by about 10:30 pm, that is bearable. I seem to manage okay on 6 hours of sleep.

I often listen to Mike Duncan's History of Rome podcast to help me sleep - not because it's boring, but because it is interesting enough to get my mind off other matters, but nothing loud or so stimulating that it keeps me awake. Also it is a lot of episodes so it lasts for a long time. It works well most of the time, I don't even hear much Roman history.
It's so very interesting to read about the variety of sleeping issues people with ADHD have in general. I think the area is still under-researched. I'm pretty sure my mother is also Inattentive like myself (and more Inattentive than myself), but whereas I might like to sleep for 10-12 hours a day typically and still wake up tired, she's more of an insomniac.

I am toying with whether or not to have my genome sequenced. I'm curious about whether I have wonky genes in this area.
Ronelh (02-02-18)
Old 01-31-18, 12:35 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 30,224 Times in 13,785 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Im combined. I wish it werent limited to just pi.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 01-31-18, 12:58 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Im combined. I wish it werent limited to just pi.
Sorry about that, Sarah - it's the potential overlap between SCT and ADHD-PI, and the lack of information regarding PI-specific sleeping issues that made me curious - SCT types tend to be more drowsy and sluggish. However, once this survey is done, if enough people are interested, I can definitely create other surveys based on the other types.
sarahsweets (01-31-18)
Old 02-12-18, 08:20 PM

SashaBV is on a distinguished road

I tend to sleep too little if I don't take sleeping pills. And it's very difficult to take a nap in the daytime...I have to be very exhausted to do that.
Old 02-12-18, 10:46 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 20,383 Times in 10,857 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaBV View Post
I tend to sleep too little if I don't take sleeping pills. And it's very difficult to take a nap in the daytime...I have to be very exhausted to do that.
I take the best 15 minute naps in the daytime. Adderall naps are the best. Dex naps are busier.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969