ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-18, 11:43 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,239 Times in 935 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation
Only hyperactive/impulsive symptoms?

I am wondering if everyone has inattentive ADHD?

How many people diagnosed with ADHD have only hyperactive/impulsive symptoms (no inattentive symptoms)?

M
Old 02-08-18, 12:12 AM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 20,676 Times in 10,400 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Only hyperactive/impulsive symptoms?

The vast majority of people -- especially adults -- diagnosed with ADHD have at least some "inattentive" symptoms.

By definition, any adult diagnosed with ADHD that presents as predominantly inattentive or combined must have at least 5 inattentive symptoms (and in kids, at least 6 inattentive symptoms).

It is uncommon (though not impossible) for an adult to be diagnosed with ADHD that presents as predominantly hyperactive-impulsive, and rarer still for such a person to lack inattentive symptoms entirely.
The Following User Says Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (02-08-18)
Old 02-08-18, 12:18 AM

Thanked 6,477 Times in 3,092 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

Hyperactivity is an extension of inattention. When you're focused on something, you're generally not displaying signs of hyperactivity, at least, not in the noticeable sense.

Whether you display signs of hyperactivity or not is really dependent on how you deal with your inattention. Some people will bounce from one subject to another which will make them seem hyperactive, where as other people will just kind of zone out and get lost in the moment, making them seem almost invisible.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (02-08-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-18, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namazu View Post
The vast majority of people -- especially adults -- diagnosed with ADHD have at least some "inattentive" symptoms.

By definition, any adult diagnosed with ADHD that presents as predominantly inattentive or combined must have at least 5 inattentive symptoms (and in kids, at least 6 inattentive symptoms).

It is uncommon (though not impossible) for an adult to be diagnosed with ADHD that presents as predominantly hyperactive-impulsive, and rarer still for such a person to lack inattentive symptoms entirely.
I guess the term “predominantly” in ADHD-PH/I means that there is at least some inattentive symptoms?

M
namazu (02-08-18)
Old 02-08-18, 02:11 AM
Contrapunctual Moderator

namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
I guess the term “predominantly” means that there is at least some inattentive symptoms?
The term "predominantly" means "mostly" / "more so".

If someone has mostly hyperactive-impulsive symptoms (at least 5) and fewer inattentive symptoms (0-4), they may be diagnosed as having ADHD (predominantly hyperactive-impulsive presentation).

If someone has mostly inattentive symptoms (at least 5) and fewer hyperactive-impulsive symptoms (0-4), they may be diagnosed as having ADHD (predominantly inattentive presentation).

If someone has both a lot of inattentive symptoms (at least 5) and a lot of hyperactive-impulsive symptoms (at least 5), then they may be diagnosed as having ADHD (combined presentation). Because their symptoms are more balanced (in terms of inattentive vs. hyperactive-impulsive), neither set of symptoms predominates (is more notable).

Last edited by namazu; 02-08-18 at 02:22 AM..
Old 02-08-18, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser_0762 View Post
Hyperactivity is an extension of inattention. When you're focused on something, you're generally not displaying signs of hyperactivity, at least, not in the noticeable sense.

Whether you display signs of hyperactivity or not is really dependent on how you deal with your inattention. Some people will bounce from one subject to another which will make them seem hyperactive, where as other people will just kind of zone out and get lost in the moment, making them seem almost invisible.
Thanks

I wonder if a internalizing response is a hypoactive response and externalizing response is a hyperactive response?

I wonder if a hypoactive response is similar to a freeze response and hyperactive response is similar to a flight response?

M
Old 02-08-18, 02:27 AM

Quote:
The term "predominantly" means "mostly" / "more so".

If someone has mostly hyperactive-impulsive symptoms (at least 5) and notably fewer inattentive symptoms (0-4), they may be diagnosed as having ADHD (predominantly hyperactive-impulsive presentation).

If someone has mostly inattentive symptoms (at least 5) and notably fewer hyperactive-impulsive symptoms (0-4), they may be diagnosed as having ADHD (predominantly inattentive presentation).

If someone has both a lot of inattentive symptoms (at least 5) and a lot of hyperactive-impulsive symptoms (at least 5), then they may be diagnosed as having ADHD (combined presentation). Because their symptoms are more balanced (in terms of inattentive vs. hyperactive-impulsive), neither set of symptoms predominates (is more notable).
Thanks

I was thinking the same things.

So I worded the opening post question, “How many people diagnosed with ADHD have only hyperactive/impulsive symptoms (no inattentive symptoms)?”

I guess there is not anyone diagnosed with “only hyperactive/impulsive symptoms”

Which I think is what Fraser_0762 is partly saying.

M
Old 02-08-18, 02:35 AM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Quote:
So I worded the opening post question, “How many people diagnosed with ADHD have only hyperactive/impulsive symptoms (no inattentive symptoms)?”

I guess there is not anyone diagnosed with “only hyperactive/impulsive symptoms”
And I answered that I think predominantly hyperactive-impulsive presentation is very rare in adults.

I don't think I know anyone who meets the criteria for ADHD and only has hyperactive-impulsive symptoms -- and I know a lot of people with ADHD! -- but I am not sure it's impossible.
The Following User Says Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (02-08-18)
Old 02-08-18, 02:37 AM

Fraser_7206

I think your right.

I made mistakes in my questions in post #6.

Both inattention (hypoactivity) and hyperactivity are the result of hypoactive regulation (Lack of regulation)

M
namazu (02-08-18)
Old 02-08-18, 02:44 AM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Quote:
Fraser_7206

I think your right.

I made mistakes my questions in post #6.

Both inattentive and hyperactivity are due to hypoactivity. (Lack of regulation)
I think it can be helpful to distinguish

activity of a particular part of the brain, or a certain biochemical reaction/pathway (more internal, neurophysiological?)

from

level of activity in behavior (more external, psychological?)

because they can be opposite (as you've suggested).

(It gets confusing to toss around hyperactivity and hypoactivity together in that context. Throw in "mental restlessness" and it gets super-duper confusing.)
Old 02-08-18, 03:09 AM

Quote:
I think it can be helpful to distinguish

activity of a particular part of the brain, or a certain biochemical reaction/pathway (more internal, neurophysiological?)

from

level of activity in behavior (more external, psychological?)

because they can be opposite (as you've suggested).

(It gets confusing to toss around hyperactivity and hypoactivity together in that context. Throw in "mental restlessness" and it gets super-duper confusing.)
I wonder what the differences are between “hypoactive affective attention” and “hypoactive affective regulation”.

I wonder if “hypoactive affective regulation” and “hypoactive affective attention” are the same things?

I wonder if top down “hypoactive cognitive regulation/hypoactive cognitive attention “ are the neurodevelopmental effects of having bottom up “hypoactive affective regulation/hypoactive affective attention”?

M