ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Strattera
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Strattera (Atomoxetine HCI)

Old 11-16-17, 04:34 PM

borukuforta is on a distinguished road
Need Advice On Starting Straterra W/ Current Med Combo

I have been currently taking 150mg Wellbutrin 1st thing in the morning 30 minutes before eating (I found this the best way to be able to reduce negative symptoms & burn some off to be able to sleep @ night). I also take 1/4 10mg Adderall IRs every 2 hours until about 4-5pm. I stopped taking 40mg Prozac as of about 3 days ago (was on it for a little less than 2 months).

I stopped taking the Prozac b/c it made me not driven at all. I have never had anxiety, my depression is likely ADD related. I was off the Wellbutrin for a few months before starting it again about a month ago b/c my depression came back and worse w/ the Prozac, likely school related (again ADD). I was not able to overcome the depression w/ the Adderall which I was consistently taking. This leads me to believe that since my depression went away within a week of retaking the Wellbutrin, I must have a norepinephrine problem (why would the Wellbutrin work and the Adderall not if it is dopamine?).

I have been feeling relatively good w/ the Wellbutrin & the Adderall (which I have taken in the past for quite a while and got me through about 2-3 years). There's a lot I don't like about Wellbutrin, it's not the best w/ me. My goal is to ultimately if I can just been on one (Strattera) that would be amazing. But possibly Strattera and Adderall to circumvent Wellbutrin and get the norepinephrine and dopamine deficiencies fixed.

I just got my Strattera 40mg. I need a plan to figure out if I can get by with the Strattera but I don't want to fail my classes in the process. I am already behind due to 1-2 weeks of vegetative depression and cutting it close. My Dr. is through the VA so getting advice/questions answered comes in 1-2 month increments for a total time of may 15-25 minutes.

Should I stop cold turkey the Wellbutrin and start the Strattera and stay on the Adderall in the meantime and see how that goes? Thanks so much for your help!
Old 11-16-17, 07:00 PM

Re: Need Advice On Starting Straterra W/ Current Med Combo

There is one thing I did notice however that was nice. The Prozac made me more loving and less cynical. I wasn't irritable all the time and didn't hate everyone. I just didn't care though. I would go to class, but I would look at my homework and go... eh.... and never do it. Vs the depression before where I would just stay at home. Btw I am about 30 years old, out of the military and in college again. I'm in good health overall.
The Following User Says Thank You to borukuforta For This Useful Post:
Snoopy10 (02-10-18)
Old 11-17-17, 05:41 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 30,224 Times in 13,785 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you want Strattera?

I carried a watermelon?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-17, 11:17 AM

Because it is a strict norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor. My research and experience with Wellbutrin says that norepinephrine may be a key factor in my mental illnesses. With Strattera I feel like I can test that theory and hopefully fix things in the process.
Old 11-17-17, 11:48 AM

What about taking the 150mg Wellbutrin every other day and Strattera every day for a week. Then the next week take the Wellbutrin every 2 days. Since Strattera takes about 2 weeks to see any benefit typically, this would give me time to saturate my system with the Strattera while weaning off the Wellbutrin so I don't lose coverage. Take the Adderall only as needed. And either extend out the Wellbutrin the 3rd week or just stop after the 2 weeks.
Old 02-10-18, 11:56 AM
ADDvanced Member

Snoopy10 will become famous soon enough

Did the combo end up working? I'm talking to my psychiatrist this week about Strattera bc I have migraines and he thought it might be a good option. I'm on Lexapro + Adderall IR right now and I agree with what borokufu said, I'm happier since starting the Lexapro. I can laugh more easily and have my sense of humor back. I don't want to give that up but I'm not sure what part of my current regime I can keep. I guess I will find out!