ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-18, 01:15 PM
Contributor

eats_mice is just really niceeats_mice is just really niceeats_mice is just really niceeats_mice is just really nice
How did she find out?

So yesterday I was talking to a friend and she mentioned that I have ADHD. I'm thinking, hold up, wait a minute, why does she think this? Cuz 1. I'm not dx'd, and 2. I never told her that I have ADHD. Really confusing. Think I'm gonna talk to her about it.

You say I'm weird? Well, I grew up next to a power
plant, what's your excuse?
The Following User Says Thank You to eats_mice For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (03-11-18)
Old 03-10-18, 10:40 PM

FlipperTheWhale is a jewel in the roughFlipperTheWhale is a jewel in the roughFlipperTheWhale is a jewel in the rough
Re: How did she find out?

I dunno. I hear people saying they are OCD or ADD all the time. I think it is just an expression for people sometimes without really knowing what it's all about.
The Following User Says Thank You to FlipperTheWhale For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-18, 07:06 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,440 Times in 15,031 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like she was just being rude.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-18, 01:14 PM
Contributor

eats_mice is just really niceeats_mice is just really niceeats_mice is just really niceeats_mice is just really nice

I wasn't offended, really. It just made me really curious why she thought I have ADHD, cuz I don't even know whether or not I do. And I don't go around telling people that I do.

Old 03-12-18, 04:55 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,587 Times in 1,214 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes the symptoms are more than you might think.

Not being able to concentrate, not paying attention in a conversation (people can tell this way more than many think), not following through on tasks .. leaving lots of tasks incomplete, changing subjects from one sentence to the next without much of a transition ...These are all symptoms.

When I'm around people a while, it's not hard to recognize ADHD. In fact, I had a therapist, who now specializes in ADHD, who herself got diagnosed because her friend was literally reading an article about ADHD and yelled out, "OMG, this is you!"

My therapist said she had no clue up to that point.

After I got diagnosed I call my brother, who was a teacher. And when I told him about my diagnosis, he laughed because he said his students had been asking him for years if he had ADHD. In other words, my brother's lack of follow through and his disorganization was totally obvious to his students. And people can tell when you're disorganized by disinterest vs. disorganized because your brain is just deeply disorganized.

To his credit, after I talked to him, he went and got diagnosed.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ToneTone For This Useful Post:
aeon (03-12-18), eats_mice (03-12-18), FlipperTheWhale (03-12-18), Lunacie (03-12-18), stef (03-12-18)
Old 03-12-18, 09:05 PM
Contributor

Yes, it's one of the things on my to-do list (seeing someone about possibly having ADHD I mean). I tried once a couple of years ago and it turned out to be a dead end, thanks to the psychiatrist writing me off as a drug-seeker. (I don't even like taking ibuprofen!). So I plan on seeing someone just as soon as I get myself another job.