ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 02-09-18, 10:41 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,743 Times in 1,906 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation
Frustrated over meeting with human resources

I got called in by the new director of human resources. She said herself that she has a background in both hr and legal issues. I think the legal issues thing should be a red flag to everyone, HR IS NOT YOUR FRIEND. They are there to protect your company from you suing them though they pretend to be trying to help you.

I was so sickened by her fake caring. She was pretending to just want to check in to make sure i was getting all the accommodations i needed. What she was really doing was scoping me out since she is new to see if I would be a troublemaker ( I had called out my ex supervisors discrimination of me and got a settlement in the past). Pretty sure I failed her test.

I got emotional. I didn't yell but my voice did raise. It did crack as if trying to hold back tears. and she even told me each time I said something that bothered me that she could here it in my voice that that particular item bothered me. Those legal/hr people watch for those clues. The abuse and suffering I've gone through is so great that I can't completely hide my emotions. I ended up saying way too much.

I've been having people issues at work cause some people have been annoyed by my procrastination even though I finish my work on time and to good quality. One person even decided not to put me on a project because of that. When you have responsibilities and opportunities taken away from you, not because you perform poorly but because someone doesn't like your symptom, well I think that's discrimination.

Because that lady kept nudging me, I ending up telling her about how I had work taken away from me even though I hadn't done anything wrong. Instead of doing something to try to fix that problem, she asks me well, don't project managers have a right to put whoever they want on a project? Trying to make it like it isn't discrimination (I never called it discrimination but she still wanted to make sure I didn't think it was).

She kept trying to be subtle (even though she wasnt) in telling me what wasn't discrimination even though it was that I couldnt stop myself from saying it.

I told her I'm being treated the same as a person in a wheelchair. People are taking away opportunities from me because I can't stand even though I've been able to get to the top like everyone else though I had to roll up that ramp.

Basically saying they are discriminating me without saying the D word. I'm pretty sure she heard the D word.

She said she'd meet up again with me later to see how I was doing. When the hr director of a more than 1000 person, 8 nationwide offices firm (which isn't huge but big enough) wants to meet personally with a lowly employee not just once but at least another time, we'll you know you've been labeled a troublemaker to watch out for.

Yes, I know I should have left the company the moment I decided to ask for a settlement (just can't get myself to apply for other jobs unfortunately).

I don't regret disclosing though. It did give me back some opportunities and it did stop my ex-supervisor from bullying me.

Anyway, I just really needed to vent. I'm going to retire soon anyway so it doesn't really do much to me. But it still feels bad. Shouldn't write this since it could be seen by my company but oh well since im gonna leave soon anyway.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
aeon (02-10-18), finallyfound10 (02-09-18), Fuzzy12 (02-10-18), Lunacie (02-10-18), mildadhd (03-07-18), Simargl (02-10-18)
Old 02-09-18, 11:04 PM

Thanked 1,524 Times in 836 Posts
finallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Frustrated over meeting with human resources

(((acdc01))) That must've been hard and I would be upset too but I don't see it as they think that you are a troublemaker.

I think they are more scared of you than you are of them since you won against a former manager and got a settlement! In this social media driven society it takes very little to bring the big dogs down and she knows it.
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to finallyfound10 For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (02-10-18), Lunacie (02-10-18)
Old 02-10-18, 12:37 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,882 Times in 1,245 Posts
Simargl has much to be proud ofSimargl has much to be proud ofSimargl has much to be proud ofSimargl has much to be proud ofSimargl has much to be proud ofSimargl has much to be proud ofSimargl has much to be proud ofSimargl has much to be proud ofSimargl has much to be proud ofSimargl has much to be proud of

HR’s primary goal is taking care of the company’s best interest. It’s a common misconception they’re there for employees. That doesn’t mean they don’t care but we’re not number one on the list. They should know the law. It’s part of their job. They prevent lawsuits.
acdc01 (02-10-18), Gypsy Willow (02-16-18), Little Missy (02-10-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-18, 01:57 AM

Thanked 29,495 Times in 13,594 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a terribly frustrating meeting. I always get more emotional than I want too. However, hopefully they can't do much to you. They might think you are a trouble maker but they also seem to think that you a force to reckon with so maybee they just want to preempt any other action by keeping you sweet
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (02-10-18), Lunacie (02-10-18), Simargl (02-10-18)
Old 02-10-18, 07:24 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,217 Times in 14,324 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

When you say settlement, do you mean that you sued them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc01 View Post
I got called in by the new director of human resources. She said herself that she has a background in both hr and legal issues. I think the legal issues thing should be a red flag to everyone, HR IS NOT YOUR FRIEND. They are there to protect your company from you suing them though they pretend to be trying to help you.

I was so sickened by her fake caring. She was pretending to just want to check in to make sure i was getting all the accommodations i needed. What she was really doing was scoping me out since she is new to see if I would be a troublemaker ( I had called out my ex supervisors discrimination of me and got a settlement in the past). Pretty sure I failed her test.

I got emotional. I didn't yell but my voice did raise. It did crack as if trying to hold back tears. and she even told me each time I said something that bothered me that she could here it in my voice that that particular item bothered me. Those legal/hr people watch for those clues. The abuse and suffering I've gone through is so great that I can't completely hide my emotions. I ended up saying way too much.

I've been having people issues at work cause some people have been annoyed by my procrastination even though I finish my work on time and to good quality. One person even decided not to put me on a project because of that. When you have responsibilities and opportunities taken away from you, not because you perform poorly but because someone doesn't like your symptom, well I think that's discrimination.

Because that lady kept nudging me, I ending up telling her about how I had work taken away from me even though I hadn't done anything wrong. Instead of doing something to try to fix that problem, she asks me well, don't project managers have a right to put whoever they want on a project? Trying to make it like it isn't discrimination (I never called it discrimination but she still wanted to make sure I didn't think it was).

She kept trying to be subtle (even though she wasnt) in telling me what wasn't discrimination even though it was that I couldnt stop myself from saying it.

I told her I'm being treated the same as a person in a wheelchair. People are taking away opportunities from me because I can't stand even though I've been able to get to the top like everyone else though I had to roll up that ramp.

Basically saying they are discriminating me without saying the D word. I'm pretty sure she heard the D word.

She said she'd meet up again with me later to see how I was doing. When the hr director of a more than 1000 person, 8 nationwide offices firm (which isn't huge but big enough) wants to meet personally with a lowly employee not just once but at least another time, we'll you know you've been labeled a troublemaker to watch out for.

Yes, I know I should have left the company the moment I decided to ask for a settlement (just can't get myself to apply for other jobs unfortunately).

I don't regret disclosing though. It did give me back some opportunities and it did stop my ex-supervisor from bullying me.

Anyway, I just really needed to vent. I'm going to retire soon anyway so it doesn't really do much to me. But it still feels bad. Shouldn't write this since it could be seen by my company but oh well since im gonna leave soon anyway.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 02-10-18, 11:47 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,347 Times in 780 Posts
Little Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud of

ACDC, If the new director of HR asked me into chat I would wonder why the Director and not one of her subordinates was meeting with me. I would wonder what the specific purpose(s) of the meeting was. At the meeting I would take notes, and ask both of those questions directly up front. If I didn't believe the answers I was given I would "ask" those sames questions indirectly during the course of the meeting. If my assessment was that the meeting was not for my best interests I would say just that and give them a chance to explain why it actually is in my best interest. Also I would treat it as if it was a deposition. Professional, calm, dispassionate and yes/no when possible. Then after the meeting, write up a detailed summary of the meeting for my files. -LN
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Little Nut For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (02-10-18), Fuzzy12 (02-10-18), namazu (02-10-18)
Old 02-10-18, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
Sounds like a terribly frustrating meeting. I always get more emotional than I want too. However, hopefully they can't do much to you. They might think you are a trouble maker but they also seem to think that you a force to reckon with so maybee they just want to preempt any other action by keeping you sweet
I've thought about it now that I've slept and calmed down. I'm think she may just be a really hands on hr director. She probably did want to just make sure I got my accommodations though it was to make sure DEA was doing what it legally had to do as opposed to any concern for me.

She had only started pointing out things that "weren't discrimination" in a way that didn't say "discrimination" when I started talking too much and she knew of the discriminatory acts against me. Those acts were already known by my boss so if I had purposefully not mentioned them to her, I would have looked bad later. So I'm not 100% sure I could have avoided speaking about them regardless of whether I started to babble too much. I couldn't hide my feelings about the acts as they really bothered me - it's discrimination after all.

I don't think my company thinks I'm a force to be reckoned with at all. I don't think they appreciate how difficult it is to prove culpability enough to get a settlement - they just are angry at you for your disloyalty in asking for it.

I'm now thinking they see me more as a liability risk as opposed to a troublemaker. Anyone with ADHD would be a liability issue but with my background and now obvious dissatisfaction (which I pointed out was only with current events, not with my company itself) I'm somewhat more of a liability issue.

I think I put myself in the hr directors radar now with my poor performance at our meeting. Think I'm just going to have to deal with it as there is no undoing what's done.
The Following User Says Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (02-10-18)
Old 02-10-18, 12:54 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Little Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud of

A follow-up note to the Dir. may be appropriate. If I sum up your last post it would be that you didn't handle yourself well at the meeting and you're concerned that she came away w/ misunderstandings. You could address both in a brief note with brief specifics. Just a thought and pls excuse if I misread your last post. -LN
Old 02-10-18, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
When you say settlement, do you mean that you sued them?
I mean when I told them my boss discriminated against me, I also told them his discrimination cost me in terms of work opportunities/career growth and salary. He also made me feel very bad and had caused me to have sleep issues. So, I asked them for a salary increase and financial compensation which they granted in exchange for me signing a piece of paper saying I wouldn't sue them for their past actions nor would I discuss anything related to the settlement publicly.

It was actually a very difficult process and I learned a lot through it. Number 1 being that you absolutely should speak to a good disability lawyer (you can find a good one based on this award they give out once a year I can't remember the name) if you choose to call out discrimination. The best is to get a lawyer the moment you start experiencing discrimination so even if you decide not to sue, they've helped you figure out the best way to document your case and collect evidence just in case you need it. Had I not spoken to a lawyer, I have no doubt the Chief Administration Officer (higher than the director of HR and who had been a lawyer in the past) who interrogated me when I asked for the settlement would have ripped me to shreds and I would have gotten nothing.

The second thing I learned is not only do you need to gather evidence of discrimination but evidence of damages.

I didn't have much evidence of damages at the time so my settlement was a pittance. The damages are actually over a million dollars because I probably would have worked another 10 years at least had it not been for my company's treatment of me. But by the time I complained, barely any damages had been noticeable. My sister is suggesting I sue cause they've discriminated against me yet again (can't sue for the past but can for the present). I'm not sure, again, it's been maybe a year since the poor treatment has resurfaced so not long a timeframe and me retiring, well that could just be me faking the damages. I may speak to the lawyer again but the odds are enormously stacked against the little guy and it is a lot of draining effort.
Old 02-10-18, 01:42 PM

Thanked 25,391 Times in 11,798 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nut View Post
ACDC, If the new director of HR asked me into chat I would wonder why the Director and not one of her subordinates was meeting with me. I would wonder what the specific purpose(s) of the meeting was. At the meeting I would take notes, and ask both of those questions directly up front. If I didn't believe the answers I was given I would "ask" those sames questions indirectly during the course of the meeting. If my assessment was that the meeting was not for my best interests I would say just that and give them a chance to explain why it actually is in my best interest. Also I would treat it as if it was a deposition. Professional, calm, dispassionate and yes/no when possible. Then after the meeting, write up a detailed summary of the meeting for my files. -LN
How do you do that?

For my daughter and I, the emotional disorder aspect of ADHD is overwhelming
a lot of the time. I totally surprised myself last week when I took my daughter
to the ER and they tried to keep me out of the exam room. I Was Not Having
That! But I didn't yell or cry or get all emotional. Not sure why I didn't. I simply
stood my ground. I'm still "The Mommy" even if my daughter is 43 now.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Gypsy Willow (02-16-18)
Old 02-10-18, 01:42 PM

Quote:
A follow-up note to the Dir. may be appropriate. If I sum up your last post it would be that you didn't handle yourself well at the meeting and you're concerned that she came away w/ misunderstandings. You could address both in a brief note with brief specifics. Just a thought and pls excuse if I misread your last post. -LN
Yes, I didn't handle myself well but there were no misunderstandings. She understands very well now that I am indeed a liability risk. I do think I'll send her a follow up note though to document some things in case I take my sisters advice and sue. I probably won't sue though.

I'm normally very composed and can handle myself emotionally. But the abuse (and it is pure abuse when you are being discriminated against) has worn me down to the point I can't control my emotions completely anymore on this matter.

Last edited by acdc01; 02-10-18 at 01:55 PM..
Old 02-10-18, 02:40 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
How do you do that?
Which part Lun?
Old 02-10-18, 04:00 PM

Thanked 25,391 Times in 11,798 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Which part Lun?
"Professional, calm, dispassionate and yes/no when possible."

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
namazu (02-10-18)
Old 02-10-18, 04:42 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
"Professional, calm, dispassionate and yes/no when possible."
Hey Lun, How I do that is by prepping/planning for the meeting, trying to think through what I want to communicate, and what information that I want to obtain. I reinforce to myself beforehand that if I am emotional, upset, PO'd, or let my conversation wander, my actions, tone, or words may cause unnecessary problems later. With practice in meetings like that or giving depositions it is relatively easy after awhile. The gist of what a friend of mine in HR used to say about contract negotiations was "If you know that saying something is going to make you feel really f***ing good, don't f***ing say it". That also applies here. -LN
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Nut For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (02-10-18), Lunacie (02-10-18)
Old 02-10-18, 04:55 PM

Thanked 29,495 Times in 13,594 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc01 View Post
I've thought about it now that I've slept and calmed down. I'm think she may just be a really hands on hr director. She probably did want to just make sure I got my accommodations though it was to make sure DEA was doing what it legally had to do as opposed to any concern for me.

She had only started pointing out things that "weren't discrimination" in a way that didn't say "discrimination" when I started talking too much and she knew of the discriminatory acts against me. Those acts were already known by my boss so if I had purposefully not mentioned them to her, I would have looked bad later. So I'm not 100% sure I could have avoided speaking about them regardless of whether I started to babble too much. I couldn't hide my feelings about the acts as they really bothered me - it's discrimination after all.

I don't think my company thinks I'm a force to be reckoned with at all. I don't think they appreciate how difficult it is to prove culpability enough to get a settlement - they just are angry at you for your disloyalty in asking for it.

I'm now thinking they see me more as a liability risk as opposed to a troublemaker. Anyone with ADHD would be a liability issue but with my background and now obvious dissatisfaction (which I pointed out was only with current events, not with my company itself) I'm somewhat more of a liability issue.

I think I put myself in the hr directors radar now with my poor performance at our meeting. Think I'm just going to have to deal with it as there is no undoing what's done.
How much longer till you can retire? Do you think another company might be better till then if the atmosphere at this one has become too unpleasant?