ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 02-10-18, 06:32 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,743 Times in 1,906 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation
Re: Frustrated over meeting with human resources

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
How much longer till you can retire? Do you think another company might be better till then if the atmosphere at this one has become too unpleasant?
I'll retire before summer for sure. Motivating myself to apply for jobs has always been my biggest career related problem so can't really do that and fortunately don't really need to.

Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (02-10-18)
Old 02-11-18, 01:14 PM

Old 02-15-18, 08:26 PM

I've decided to tell the Chief admin officer (who's one level higher than the hr director) about hr director.

Doesn't really help me. Probably hurts me actually since it'll just raise the red flags higher on me (CAO very much protects the company). But maybe it'll help some other person with a mental disability in the future. The CAO does seem to have a better understanding of disability rights. She's the one that agreed to the settlement and I can tell that though she tried to get out of paying me by finding some loophole to make it not discrimination, she seemed very aware that what had happened to me was discrimination.

She has the power to change the hr directors attitude on the subject and may very well want to do so to protect the company. Maybe other people won't have to go through what I did that way and since I'm leaving the company anyway, won't really hurt me too bad though I might get crap for it in the short term.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-18, 07:02 PM
ADDvanced Member

Gypsy Willow has a spectacular aura aboutGypsy Willow has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc01 View Post
I've decided to tell the Chief admin officer (who's one level higher than the hr director) about hr director.

Doesn't really help me. Probably hurts me actually since it'll just raise the red flags higher on me (CAO very much protects the company). But maybe it'll help some other person with a mental disability in the future. The CAO does seem to have a better understanding of disability rights. She's the one that agreed to the settlement and I can tell that though she tried to get out of paying me by finding some loophole to make it not discrimination, she seemed very aware that what had happened to me was discrimination.

She has the power to change the hr directors attitude on the subject and may very well want to do so to protect the company. Maybe other people won't have to go through what I did that way and since I'm leaving the company anyway, won't really hurt me too bad though I might get crap for it in the short term.
You sound just like me! You are not going to put up with crap. When there's discrimination or abuse due to a medical condition, I have no problem at all "being a trouble maker" or "rocking the boat". Now at this point in life, I don't disclose the ADD to any employer. They are too stupid and uneducated to even understand it. I'm a professional temp so I work all over and do temp work, and to me is very structured and I actually do better focusing and catching on in that arena over permanent jobs.

But there's been a couple of temp jobs in the past where I complained about someone being a bully or abusive. It wasn't over the ADD either. I never brought that up.

My opinion is: If you stand for what is right, things have a way of working in your favor; sooner or later, because you did what was right. And like you said, it might help someone in the future.

AD(H)D is so misunderstood and there are many false assumptions made by people about the condition AND the medications.

I believe many of them think we're just hyper, stupid speed freaks.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gypsy Willow For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (02-23-18), Lunacie (02-16-18), stef (02-16-18)